Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try this:
Windows 10 fails to boot after HDD clone to SSD
Macrium Reflect bootable disc, go to restore > fix Windows Boot problem, it auto fix the boot manager. Remind next time after clone, boot the cloned disk alone without original source disk, connect after 1st boot.

andy_65_in

Padawan
Windows 10 may 2020 update...its already being offered for the window insider programmers...is it advisable to link your account for window insider programmers

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows 10 may 2020 update...its already being offered for the window insider programmers...is it advisable to link your account for window insider programmers
It is better to not install any windows version update even a few days/weeks after its public release let alone insider release. My suggestion is to always wait at least 2-3 weeks before installing any windows version update after its public release.

andy_65_in

Padawan
It is better to not install any windows version update even a few days/weeks after its public release let alone insider release. My suggestion is to always wait at least 2-3 weeks before installing any windows version update after its public release.
ok...advice taken...presently i have already stopped updates since last 30days..bcoz of numerous post update issues with windows

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Try this:
Windows 10 fails to boot after HDD clone to SSD
Sorry to post after so long.. I actually was using Windows 7 in my SSD but couldn't install Office having some licensing issues. I decided to again clone my original HDD to new SSD. Macrium reflect has completed cloning the disk and the contents are the same. However, the same issue of not able to boot from SSD is present.
In the above post there is a solution as:

"Windows 10 Fix Error After Cloning HDD SSD - Error in file winload.efi
  • With Windows 10 installation/recovery media open the command prompt in advanced tools
  • Diskpart
  • list volume (take note of boot partition volume and windows partition letter)
  • select volume X (X partition responsible for booting the system, hidden partition in fat32)
  • assign letter w (to be able to recover the boot files)
  • exit (exit diskpart)
  • bcdboot X:\Windows /s w: /f UEFI (X partition letter that contains the Windows folder)
  • reeboot system (select the new boot option if more than one)
  • msconfig (Boot - delete the \Windows options and leave only the c:\Windows option)"
in the 3rd step(list volume), it says to take note of boot partition volume and windows partition letter and in the next step to select the booting volume... but there is no letter assigned to the hidden partition in FAT32 in the screenshot i attached.
as per the screenshot attached, what should be the commands entered in diskpart?
diskpart.JPG

I have cloned Volume 0 (1TB HDD divided into C, D & F drives) to Volume 4(240 GB SSD), cloned only Volume 0 and not Volume 1, 2, 3. Want to make volume 4 as the primary boot partition.

Clone to SSD, shut down system, physically disconnect HDD, boot it up, let Windows repair take care of boot issues & voila. It worked for Win10 on my laptop the first time I tried to clone. Use Win10 IMO, no point hanging on to Win7. Win10 worked fine on my 10 years old PC at my home with i3 1st gen & 4GB RAM from an HDD.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Clone to SSD, shut down system, physically disconnect HDD, boot it up, let Windows repair take care of boot issues & voila. It worked for Win10 on my laptop the first time I tried to clone. Use Win10 IMO, no point hanging on to Win7. Win10 worked fine on my 10 years old PC at my home with i3 1st gen & 4GB RAM from an HDD.

I tried that the first time i cloned the disk but it failed to read and it would restart automatically and again failed to read and this process wouls go on and on... I haven’t tried it this time , will post results.
Win10 is actually the os of choice for me as my laptop screen is touch enabled. I had to go back to 7 since i didn’t had a licensed copy of 10. 10 got installed as the free upgrade from my oem copy of 8.1

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I have not gone thru all the detailed posts. Just making inferences based on your current post.

I have cloned Volume 0 (1TB HDD divided into C, D & F drives) to Volume 4(240 GB SSD), cloned only Volume 0 and not Volume 1, 2, 3. Want to make volume 4 as the primary boot partition.

Didn't you copy/clone the ESP/EFI Partition? That's the primary link between the Firmware and OS booting for a UEFI system. In DISKPART you should use LIST DISK then SELECT DISK X then LIST PARTITION commands to know what volumes reside on what disks. (X is the Disk number here)

Win10 is actually the os of choice for me as my laptop screen is touch enabled. I had to go back to 7 since i didn’t had a licensed copy of 10. 10 got installed as the free upgrade from my oem copy of 8.1

Since you already got free upgrade from 8.1 to 10 you must be having a digital license of Windows 10 on your laptop. If so, any reason to stick to Windows 7.

If you did not copy EFI Partition then
  • You need to use Bcdedit command to reconfigure BCD to point to the new partition on SSD and create a new EFI boot entry. However in that case the EFI partition resides on HDD and hence you create a hidden dependency.
or
  • Clone the EFI partition from HDD to SSD and if required create a new boot entry to point to EFI on SSD if you want to keep both HDD & SSD in the system.
If your firmware does not allow creation of a new boot entry you may have to use EasyUEFI (Windows tool) or such tools that are more user friendly.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Win 10 comes with a digital license on any system on which it got a free upgrade meaning as long as the mobo(& lan) & processor of that system remains same win 10 will be automatically activated on that system after connecting to net. In worst case scenario one can use win 10 in forever trial mode with only restriction being inability to change wallpaper & other personalization options.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
diskpart2.JPG

I have copied the drive but still its not booting. When I am selecting the SSD through boot menu in BIOS then screen goes black on loading and a message displays "Selected boot device failed. Press any key to reboot the system.."

Volume 5 is the new volume created.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 18966

I have copied the drive but still its not booting. When I am selecting the SSD through boot menu in BIOS then screen goes black on loading and a message displays "Selected boot device failed. Press any key to reboot the system.."

System volumes are supposed to be first in the list while in your case it is at the end so obviously it will not work.

Better to start over & why are you still sticking with win 7 anyway when it is officially out of support. Just install fresh win 10 on ssd.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
View attachment 18966

Remove all drives except the SSD and do a fresh install. Then plug other drives, backup data from C: drive from HDD and format it.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Getting this error while installing... booted in legacy mode and uefi mode , both give same error

*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200419/8251dbcb4148f4a70d018507c59ee11d.jpg

Top Bottom