Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

Flash

Lost in speed
If someone is not comfortable with login option in Win 10, can try this:
How to Remove Sign-in Options on Windows 10

ashs1

Padawan
Problem :

The update centre which shows the update history is not good .. Installed update and failed updates should have been grouped and instead they've just displayed the information in an confusing manner..
The startup time ( from the moment I press the power button to the moment when the desktop is launched[including password entering screen]) is higher..more than a minute.

Improved :
Microsoft edge..have been using this more than chrome so far..the ram usage is much lower than chrome..is there any way to transfer all my settings/passwords/bookmarks from chrome to edge??

Gaming : so far, I've tested only Dragonball xenoverse on full settings and it works flawlessly.. Much much better than windows8.1... Gaming seems tone promising..will test more and post results..

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector
Problem :

The update centre which shows the update history is not good .. Installed update and failed updates should have been grouped and instead they've just displayed the information in an confusing manner..
The startup time ( from the moment I press the power button to the moment when the desktop is launched[including password entering screen]) is higher..more than a minute.

Improved :
Microsoft edge..have been using this more than chrome so far..the ram usage is much lower than chrome..is there any way to transfer all my settings/passwords/bookmarks from chrome to edge??

Gaming : so far, I've tested only Dragonball xenoverse on full settings and it works flawlessly.. Much much better than windows8.1... Gaming seems tone promising..will test more and post results..

I tested this on my age old amd x2 4400+/2GB DDR2/9500GT 512mb
and win10 loads super fast but Edge crawls on more than one tab.
ram usage at idle is 800Mb
I played only rocksmith2014 on it and as far as FPS goes, it was same as win 8.1 but the game had internal failures
Games are supposed to run better on it but compatibility mode of win7 did not work on it.
I installed win 7 again on this PC.

ashs1

Padawan
I tested this on my age old amd x2 4400+/2GB DDR2/9500GT 512mb
and win10 loads super fast but Edge crawls on more than one tab.
ram usage at idle is 800Mb
I played only rocksmith2014 on it and as far as FPS goes, it was same as win 8.1 but the game had internal failures
Games are supposed to run better on it but compatibility mode of win7 did not work on it.
I installed win 7 again on this PC.
How much time is it taking for you guys for Windows 10 to load up ? I'll post my time ( with and without password) in a bit..
I'll post the fps as well..but its definitely better than 8.1 as dbz xenoverse clearly stuttered in win8.1( whats weird is it had no stuttering problem in win8 )

Just realised Microsoft edge doesn't support add-ons...will post the ram usage as well.

Gollum

Collector
How much time is it taking for you guys for Windows 10 to load up ? I'll post my time ( with and without password) in a bit..
I'll post the fps as well..but its definitely better than 8.1 as dbz xenoverse clearly stuttered in win8.1( whats weird is it had no stuttering problem in win8 )

Just realised Microsoft edge doesn't support add-ons...will post the ram usage as well.

edge is still in its infancy.
you are better off with firefox or chrome.
although edge has the same features (read most) it cannot import stuff like password and bookmarks from another browser.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl

i ran benchmark(3d mark) on windows 10, and almost every time they give a little lower results than windows 7......

ashs1

Padawan
edge is still in its infancy.
you are better off with firefox or chrome.
although edge has the same features (read most) it cannot import stuff like password and bookmarks from another browser.

yeah... As of now, i'll continue using chrome until edge gets improved. :)

here's the boot time :
With Password(10 character), it takes about 50 seconds to get to the desktop screen & another 9 seconds( i.e 59 seconds) to completely load all the icons.
I disabled the password screen & also disabled some of the startup items through task manager & then restarted the laptop.
Without Password, it takes 33 seconds to get to the desktop screen & another 6 seconds ( 39 seconds) to completely load all the icons.

I also tested the fps of dragonball Xenoverse using fraps..It might not be the best game to test( due to pauses in-game), but thats the the only one i have right now.
Min : 22
Max :51
Avg : 40.867

Here's the RAM Usage of edge, chrome & firefox.. I have opened 2 tabs in each of them ( digit site & forum ). I am guessing chrome & firefox use more resources due to add-ons..
*i.imgur.com/FmnoRbb.png

what about you guys ? are you also facing similar results ??

nikufellow

In the zone
Ok guys so here's the deal

After having exhausted almost 3/4th of my monthly bandwidth trying out different versions of windows i finally managed to get a win 8 iso (from a russian forum) that installs fine and recognizes my laptop's inbuilt OEM license key.I have now upgraded to 8.1 and windows is activated

A few queries though
-Which version of windows 10 should i download?I am currently on 8.1 core single language.I am assuming that if i get the wrong iso it might not get activated like was happening with me on 8

-Is there an 'all in one' kind of iso which will automatically upgrade mine to a compatible version ?If so where to get such an iso ?

Bump..

Flash

Lost in speed
Better if he download manually. Automatic update is not good.
Ya. Heard some drivers for old components are not updating. Also the part i hate in Windows update, is lack of progress bar for each individual update, rather than giving as a whole.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Ya. Heard some drivers for old components are not updating. Also the part i hate in Windows update, is lack of progress bar for each individual update, rather than giving as a whole.

Interface is overly simplified for tablets (universal interface, they say).

Top Bottom