Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I thought we were discussing at a gentleman man. But what's with this bashing thing?
You ought to use more than 1 phone of each kind to say that yeah this sucks.
Secondly os is always a personal preference. So there is no need to bang your head on a topic which just revolve around a personal preference.

exactly!! very true!!

- - - Updated - - -

Have any of you guys got this to run on Virtualbox? I am trying to install the x64 version on my office machine, but I get the following error:

Code:
Fsw ERROR: InstallMultipleProtocolInterfaces returned 2

I have set RAM to 2 GB and the virtual disk is 40 GB. The ISO does not boot in non-EFI and therefore I enabled EFI before running this.

try some guides online,maybe you are missing something

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
try some guides online,maybe you are missing something

I posted here as a last resort. Deleted and recreated new VMs but still no change. Also, could not find anything online even after searching for 3 hours.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I posted here as a last resort. Deleted and recreated new VMs but still no change. Also, could not find anything online even after searching for 3 hours.

ohh,tough luck i guess
can you install in a separate partition or hdd?(not Vm) and see how it goes

johngaddox

New to this forum
Hmm... so it will run on PCs but will it be easy to use on PCs? I am running Windows 8 on a laptop now and I already have issues because it isn't a touchscreen computer. I always have to swipe to the right just to get to the menu, and I think it's dumb that I have to search for any kind of application I want to use. It kinda makes me wanna go back to Windows Vista.

eureka

Banned
I totally disagree,I have a good experience with my 720 itself forget my 820
I find Wp a better experience than android
my Nexus 5 is literally a paper weight since 5.0,it lags for even basic tasks now and im considering downgrading to kitkat
no os is flawless but android is terribly behind in doing even basic tasks like calls and texts now

i seriously doubt you have used any windows phone properly then,all the popular apps run fine,its only the shady,poorly coded wp7-era apps which run pathetic on wp8
also you spoke about thirdy party apps LOL,android is only about third party apps,the stock ones are rarely used by most

just because you hate windows phone and like android doesnt mean you have to bash WP for no reason,the day you own and use a WP on a daily basis with android side by side,you may bash either one(or both)
I am not bashing WP. I am just stating a fact, that WP's app section is miles behind of Android. Whoever owns a WP either owns an Android device as a backup, because they know when they need some apps they will have to lurk in Play Store, or already got bored with WP and switched back to Android. It can't be any more simpler.

You are right, I don't use a WP, I won't, maybe in ten years, maybe not, but my mom does. I got her the L520 because she wanted a simple phone for calls, texts and all. L520 does the job. But when she needs to auto-call some damn relative at some time of the day guess who she comes to? Well me.

As I said, I am merely stating a fact here, don't think any unnecessary arguments will cause any betterment to the actual topic. What you personally think, well, it's really not that important :)

:offtopic:

Last edited:

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
I am not bashing WP. I am just stating a fact, that WP's app section is miles behind of Android. Whoever owns a WP either owns an Android device as a backup, because they know when they need some apps they will have to lurk in Play Store, or already got bored with WP and switched back to Android. It can't be any more simpler.

You are stating facts, which you have created on your own assumptions and experiences. I am using wp since the past 4 years. I don't have any backup device. So please don't post stuff you believe as facts.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

You are right, I don't use a WP, I won't, maybe in ten years, maybe not, but my mom does. I got her the L520 because she wanted a simple phone for calls, texts and all. L520 does the job. But when she needs to auto-call some damn relative at some time of the day guess who she comes to? Well me.

As I said, I am merely stating a fact here, don't think any unnecessary arguments will cause any betterment to the actual topic. What you personally think, well, it's really not that important :)

actually thats your own assumption,most WP users are actually happy staying on the platform and go in for more WPs instead of eyeing other OS's(note i said most)
most android users often eye ios
most ios users often eye android
^^based on my friends

OP
$hadow

$hadow

Geek in making
actually thats your own assumption,most WP users are actually happy staying on the platform and go in for more WPs instead of eyeing other OS's(note i said most)
most android users often eye ios
most ios users often eye android
^^based on my friends

Well this is kinda true. This is a vice versa process. BTW eureka looks like you need to get some fresh air to get some new perspective and facts.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Hmm... so it will run on PCs but will it be easy to use on PCs? I am running Windows 8 on a laptop now and I already have issues because it isn't a touchscreen computer. I always have to swipe to the right just to get to the menu, and I think it's dumb that I have to search for any kind of application I want to use. It kinda makes me wanna go back to Windows Vista.

you can turn off the charms bar
windows 10 will improve the experience for non-touch devices,it has a new UI called continuum for hybrid devices and windows 7 like UI for non touch

eureka

Banned
You are stating facts, which you have created on your own assumptions and experiences. I am using wp since the past 4 years. I don't have any backup device. So please don't post stuff you believe as facts.
Nope, wrong.

Create a topic asking in any popular forum on the web that which OS would you prefer as your primary one, then we shall talk. At the same time one out of hundred might prefer WP and they shall, otherwise we would all see an one way traffic! That has nothing to do with my point though, still needs to be said.
PS : Except the forums which are only seen and browsed by 50+ age.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
^^the reason is because people havent given windows phone a fair try
i get to use each on a daily basis so i pretty much know the pros and cons of each
in TDF,most people have only used android and havent really tried ios and wp(no offense to any members but its true)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
A friendly reminder to posters in this thread: Stick to on topic and probably this thread could be saved from the lockhammer.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users(obviously with valid & genuine license) according to MS.

Source : Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 users | The Verge

kg11sgbg

For the 1st year,when Windows 10 will be launched. But the query is,after 1 year passes,do we need to pay for Windows 10?

Because as mentioned
Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and Windows 8.x users for the first year, which means you can upgrade for free in the first year of the OS’ lifetime and enjoy free upgrades thereon. However, if you happen to upgrade in the second year or after, you will have to pay for it. Keep in mind that there's no subscription in play here, just a free upgrade during the first year of launch.

Now that that’s out of the way, let’s look at what else Microsoft had to say.

For PC

The Start Menu is no longer a full screen affair, but you still have the option to make it so if you want to. There’s also an Action Center on the right side of the screen, which will display quick settings like in Windows Phone 8.1 and other tools to make usage simpler and faster.

Most importantly though, Microsoft’s voice assistant Cortana is coming to the desktop with the Windows 10 OS. She will take over a lot of the search functions on the PC, with her own little place, right next to the Start menu.

Universal Apps

Windows 10 is less about one kind of device and more about all devices and screen sizes, so much so that Microsoft announced an 84-inch Surface Hub at the event. More on that later though, universal apps is something that will be exciting for developers and useful for consumers.

With Windows 10, it’s easier for developers to build apps for Windows. Microsoft showed off some of its own apps, working on PC, phones and tablets, where the core of the app remained the same. The idea is that it’s easier to port apps from PC to Phone to Tablets and to even the Xbox now.

Xbox

This is still kind of a grey area, in the sense that we don’t quite know whether we like it or not. What’s evident is that the company has big plans for Xbox, what’s not clear is what exactly those plans are. The company has added an Xbox app to Windows 10 on the PC and elsewhere, which will allow you to stream your Xbox games to other machines. You still have to own an Xbox though. The concept is basically the same as Steam in-home streaming, just in reverse.

The Xbox app though allows gamers to take 30 second clips from their games and share them with others, the same can also be done with game stats etc. In addition, Microsoft is adding the DirectX 12 API to Windows 10, which according to the company, adds 50 percent performance improvement for games.

Holograms, 3D computing and a step ahead of Mac and Chrome OS

Get ready to imagine your own Star Wars universe. Microsoft’s HoloLens is the most interesting thing that the company has done till date. It’s actually one of three technologies, which together bring you 3D computing. These include Windows Holographic, which will be in all subsequent builds of Windows 10, the Holo Studio app and the HoloLens headset.

The HoloLens has its own CPU and GPU inside and is completely wireless. It also has a Holographic Processing Unit. The Holo Studio app allows users to create their own holograms, while the Windows Holographic platform is what is behind all of this augmented reality tech.

Augmented reality itself may not be something new, but its integration into an operating system gives Windows something that neither Mac nor Chrome OS have. Microsoft may very well be accurate in describing HoloLens as the most advanced holographic computer ever. At least, that's what their video seems to suggest.

Spartan Browser

The Spartan Browser has been leaked enough times by now and lot of the leaks turned out to be true. The browser will first come to phones only, followed by other devices. It is a lightweight and good looking browser that will hopefully replace Internet Explorer some day.

The browser has a Pocket-like feature, where you can save webpages for reading later. In addition, you can use OneNote to save specific parts of a website for later reference.

To conclude..

It won’t be a stretch to say that Microsoft made Windows cool again, but Windows 10 is yet to come to users. A fresh build of the new OS will be available for those who registered for the Windows Insider program from next week. But the full consumer version will take more time to arrive.
Isn't there a fallacy on the statements?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
as far as i could grasp, if you upgrade to windows 10 within 1 year of release, you will get it for free with life time updates. if you are able to upgrade to windows 10 only after 1 year of its release, you will have to pay for that.

A

amit.tiger12

when will consumer preview be available..??

as far as i could grasp, if you upgrade to windows 10 within 1 year of release, you will get it for free with life time updates. if you are able to upgrade to windows 10 only after 1 year of its release, you will have to pay for that.

how I can upgrade to windows 10.. I have win 8.1.. there is no official upgrade file available on net.. from which I can upgrade to win 10 :(

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
when will consumer preview be available..??

how I can upgrade to windows 10.. I have win 8.1.. there is no official upgrade file available on net.. from which I can upgrade to win 10 :(

wait for official release. consumer preview might also be unstable.you may have to wait probably (atleast)5-6 months for a stable release.

A

amit.tiger12

wait for official release. consumer preview might also be unstable.you may have to wait probably (atleast)5-6 months for a stable release.

ya i know that stable release will take time.. but want to try what they announced on 21st.. so do you know any confirm or approx date for consumer release..??

kg11sgbg

In that case why any user(Genuine Licensed holder of Windows OS)would wait for 2nd year?????????????????

Top Bottom