Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^^ SOUND RESTORED!!!
I ran the troubleshoot mode for speakers,and rebooted the PC.
I also reinstalled drivers for speakers in System "Device Manager" using as audio endpoint.

Problems/Issues seems to be gone.:-D

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Upon POWER ON password is being entered on it's own (seems like it stops when it reaches max character limit). I had to delete that and enter the right password.

First I thought I dropped something on the keyboard, so the reason it's being keyed in without me doing it.

It happened again. Now I doubt it. Keyboard issue or some virus attack? I am little worried now.

Any idea guys?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Is this a laptop or a desktop? If you can, try disconnecting the keyboard before windows starts (the PC might not boot without a keyboard attached so be wary of that) and see if it behaves the same.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Reactions: nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
It didn't happen this morning. During my last login, I did scan for virus and shook the keyboard upside down to get some of the debris out. Scan result came with zero threats.
It's a desktop and yet to try your suggestion. Thank you, I will still try and see what happens.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I faced this issue with my old microsoft keyboard and the numpad 5 had gone mad.
See if u can repair the keys else buy a new keyboard

Nalak

Broken In
I am going to make a pc with i38100,H 310 MH MOBO, 1 tb hard disk(WD BLUE),3000 MHZ RAM build and i have downloaded windows 10 iso in january 19 from microsoft site with media creation tool. I want to make a bootable usb with rufus. Now here I have some confusions and these are
1)-should I format it with NTFS or with FAT 32 ( in some places they are telling you should go with NTFS and in some places they are telling that you should go with FAT 32 and I am confused)
2)Which partition should I use GPT OR MBR
OR
I have to do nothing just insert the pen drive and rufus will decide everything about it and I have to just follow the instruction.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
1. Format using NTFS
2. Windows 10 installation need GPT

the media creation tool can also create a bootable USB installation drive

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
should I format it with NTFS or with FAT 32
NTFS obviously because FAT32 is a legacy file system.

Which partition should I use GPT OR MBR
GPT. Windows has been supporting GPT partitions since Windows 7 and it is so much better than MBR.

I have to do nothing just insert the pen drive and rufus will decide everything about it and I have to just follow the instruction.
You only need to do this when you are creating a bootable USB drive. I am not sure, but doesn't the media creation tool also create the bootable USB drive?

Nalak

Broken In
Yes,MCT also creates bootable USB drive, but at that time I didn't have any vacant pen drive and before that I just made a bootable pen drive for mint cinnamon with Rufus .That time I didn't have to do anything I have just selected the mint iso and everything was done by Rufus

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
NTFS obviously because FAT32 is a legacy file system.
Actually FAT32 is the one supported natively by UEFI,this last win 10 version(aka RS5) has wim file size more than 4 gb so fat32 is not possible but for earlier versions you simply needed to extract win 10 iso contents to a fat32 formatted pendrive & just boot from it.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Actually FAT32 is the one supported natively by UEFI,this last win 10 version(aka RS5) has wim file size more than 4 gb so fat32 is not possible but for earlier versions you simply needed to extract win 10 iso contents to a fat32 formatted pendrive & just boot from it.
Oh, I thought he was asking about FAT32 as the main windows partition, not the bootable USB file system. My bad.

Nalak

Broken In
So is there any write up or any other resources available where all these are covered like why and when to use GPT,MBR,NTFS,FAT 32 etc?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
MBR partition scheme = Legacy boot generally (Linux is flexible here)
GPT partition scheme = UEFI boot (At least for Windows 7 64 and above)
FAT – At the least supported File system by UEFI. Limitation, cannot hold file greater than 4GB size (FAT32)
NTFS – If not natively, still supported by UEFI NTFS driver (That Rufus uses internally) can hold file > 4 GB

Further reading (in increasing order of complexity)

pbatard/rufus
UEFI boot: how does that actually work, then?
*www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/UEFI_Spec_2_7.pdf

Apart from this, search for MBR, GPT, BIOS, UEFI and related terms, and you should find several references across Superuser, Tomshardware and other such forums.

Now your case...
Latest Windows 10, install.esd > 4 GB (You need to mount or extract Windows 10 ISO using 7zip or so and check the install.esd file size) - so NTFS is a must (Still no issues because Rufus shall internally use NTFS driver, regardless of UEFI implementation)
UEFI Boot needed and OS is Windows 7 64 or above - so setting GPT partition must.

So you should select Partition scheme GPT, Target System UEFI, and File system NTFS for your bootable USB drive

If you want to boot in Legacy Mode (Despite having UEFI supported hardware and OS) then it would have been
MBR, BIOS, NTFS (and enable CSM in mobo BIOS Settings)

Run Rufus as administrator preferably and disable Secure Boot in BIOS Settings temporarily if using NTFS file system.

Caveats:
If you select UEFI boot and your HDD/SSD on which you finally want to install Windows is partitioned in MBR Partition Scheme already, then Windows 10 will fail to install. Again the same principle that Windows 7 64 and above need GPT target drive for Booting off it when in UEFI.

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
If your HDD is brand new (uninitialized, raw) then as long as your Windows 10 USB key is configured for UEFI by Rufus and your BIOS is configured for UEFI boot, Windows 10 installer shall boot off the USB key in UEFI mode and when the time comes to select the drive ("Where do you want to Install Windows?" Screen), when you select the raw HDD, Windows 10 shall automatically create GPT scheme on it and proceed with the installation.

Top Bottom