Official Samsung Spica Discussion Thread

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
@tarey
Ya these maps r really helpful.
@sakumar
You can use offline maps softwares there are many out there. but paid ones are really good i heard. Mapmyindia also has an android app. their maps are pretty accurate.
But nothing beats google maps :thumbsup:
Caching before u leave is also a way as tarey said, But zooming is a problem.

I used to have an app called mgmaps in my old phone which can be used to view google maps stored in sd card. ya U can store gmaps on sd card. Neva tried their android app tho.
As i hv a data plan,never thot of an alternative to gmaps. All im waiting for is google's navigation to be available in india
yeah me too used gps extensively on my last Hyderabad trip, pretty handy ;).

Locking took longer than usual when I tried it in Hyderabad, may be because of the higher interferences. Anyways one trick that speeds up locking is, point the rear of phone towards sky( direct line of sight if possible) and lock time improves :)

Mobile networks was quite accurate sometimes and sometimes acts weird. It worked fine near Kachiguda, but while on transit it showed me in the middle of Hussein Sagar :p. When used with GPS,it was accurate though.

can someone tell me why is every1 singing praises of this phone and why does it have a whole thread dedicated to it? I have never heard of anyone mention this phone apart from ppl here at digit. What's so special about this phone? I was planning to buy this phone after reading a lot of +ve reviews here and also since it seemed to fit my budget. But honestly none of friends or anyone I have ever known has any clue about this phone. Even samsung doesnt advertise this phone as much as it advertises it's other models. Now recently I read it somewhere that this phone is no longer available in the market as samsung has withdrawn it coz it has some defects. So how much of this is true? And is this phone really worth the money spent on it? Would a nokia 5800 or a similar model from sony ericsson be better? I think the only plus point in this phone is the android OS. But I think android is available on other phones as well so why should one go for spica?

The one you heard of, discontinued due to defects is i7500(Galaxy), not i5700(Galaxy Spica).

Why is everybody singing about this phone??? Read this thread from start, you'll know for yourself.

Most of us here moved from Symbian, and we don't want to move back to a dead platform. But if you are new to symbian, Yes, you can try 5800.

The only plus point of this phone is not just Android OS, it has got a 800Mhz processor, 16M Capacitive TFT screen (65K was 1.5 limit, mind you), a 1500maH battery and good custom ROM support( no way near HTC custom ROM support yet). And all this for 12K, what else do you need??

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
So why is this phone not available in the market? I couldn't even find it on ebay. And why is it that samsung never advertises this phone?
Samsung India never advertised most of its smart phones, be it the Omnia Series, Jet, Galaxy(original & Spica). Their PR team concentrated more on the Corby, Star and Guru series. Don't know what was in their mind. Only Samsung can answer your question clearly:p Shoot a mail to them ;)

Regarding the availability issue, its kind of a mystery, but I heard most of the shops are getting stock now. Why don't you inquire from Samsung Mobile(Authorized outlets) stores.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
So why is this phone not available in the market? I couldn't even find it on ebay. And why is it that samsung never advertises this phone?

Samsung Spica with android : 12.5k
Samsung Wave with their own BadaOS: 17k

will you buy Wave?

now, people don't have a choice. The only good phone inside 20k is Wave. other phones suck big time (be it SE or nokia or HTC).

If Samsung doesn't pull Spica out of market, the sales of Wave would've taken a huge blow.

vulpine

Broken In
Anyways one trick that speeds up locking is, point the rear of phone towards sky( direct line of sight if possible) and lock time improves :)

Really?! I should try it next time.

The one you heard of, discontinued due to defects is i7500(Galaxy), not i5700(Galaxy Spica).

Why is everybody singing about this phone??? Read this thread from start, you'll know for yourself.

Most of us here moved from Symbian, and we don't want to move back to a dead platform. But if you are new to symbian, Yes, you can try 5800.

bangOn!!
@incredibleHULK
But this phone is not everyones's cup of coffee. Take it only if you die for Android OS. Nevertheless, Its great value for money. Fulltoo paisa vasooool

Samsung India never advertised most of its smart phones, be it the Omnia Series, Jet, Galaxy(original & Spica).

Was Jet a smart phone?:shock: I think its just a dumb feature phone like those corbys that tries to mimic smartphone features

Samsung Spica with android : 12.5k
Samsung Wave with their own BadaOS: 17k

will you buy Wave?

now, people don't have a choice. The only good phone inside 20k is Wave. other phones suck big time (be it SE or nokia or HTC).

Sorry I defer.
Bada over Android? Never.
Bada is just another premature OS. Its like samsung saying "Now we want our own OS too" It doesn't even have a handfull of apps. And donno if there are any developers interested in this one.
And Samsung sucks when it comes to making a UI. Be it their TVs or their feature phones. They are just so boring. And the less we talk about Touchwiz the better it is.

Only thing that's worth mentioning in wave is its SAMOLED and 1GHz processor.

jetboy

Journeyman
Samsung India never advertised most of its smart phones, be it the Omnia Series, Jet, Galaxy(original & Spica). Their PR team concentrated more on the Corby, Star and Guru series. Don't know what was in their mind. Only Samsung can answer your question clearly:p Shoot a mail to them ;)

Regarding the availability issue, its kind of a mystery, but I heard most of the shops are getting stock now. Why don't you inquire from Samsung Mobile(Authorized outlets) stores.

Believe me I have been having word with Samsung through mail and chat. They even pointed me to a Sales guy in pune who then pointed me to a sales guy in Nashik, who again pointed me to a Authorised dealer who had already updated me a week ago that Samsung doesnt produce 5700 and was urging to go for 7500.

Is there really a way buy which I can really get some information about the availability.

And as said by "Hulk" (cant make out the real name). The authorised dealer himself mentioned that 5700 had speaker problem and used to get torn out very soon and the service given by Samsung was not good too.

Can anyone comment on this please??

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
The authorised dealer himself mentioned that 5700 had speaker problem and used to get torn out very soon and the service given by Samsung was not good too.

These type of replies are standard when the item is not in stock, good excuse to lure customer into any other available product and make a sale.

I have had no single mention of any such issue in Spica yet, 4 of my friends have the same phone and 2 are searching for it in Pune :D.

jetboy

Journeyman
I was just on phone with Samsung Support which was located in Chennai. He says it available very well.. I said many of my friends are not able to get hand on it in mumbai pune too, but he just says one thing. "Its very much available Sir" in typical south Indian style :)

Where O Where OOOOOOO Where is it available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
Read the review loved it a lot..ran to the store..but the size is toooooo small, came back and started searching for Samsung again ;)

doesn't everyone prefer mobiles to be small in size? Isn't smaller the better? I think this is a ridiculous reason for not buying a particular phone. X10 has a 5mp cam + android + qwerty keyboard. Only minus is the 600mhz processor but that hardly makes a diff compared to spica's 800mhz, just a 200 mhz difference.

jetboy

Journeyman
doesn't everyone prefer mobiles to be small in size? Isn't smaller the better? I think this is a ridiculous reason for not buying a particular phone. X10 has a 5mp cam + android + qwerty keyboard. Only minus is the 600mhz processor but that hardly makes a diff compared to spica's 800mhz, just a 200 mhz difference.

My friend the mobile is too small. Its even smaller than my SE W810i and after being with my phone for 5 years..I am fedup of small screens. X10 mini wont be good to play games, watch video,...it wont be that cool to play or watch on a screen that small. The handset looks like a toy!! So I dont guess its not RIDICULOUS to not opt for SE x10 mini.

Last edited:

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
My friend the mobile is too small. Its even smaller than my SE W810i and after being with my phone for 5 years..I am fedup of small screens. X10 mini wont be good to play games, watch video,...it wont be that cool to play or watch on a screen that small. The handset looks like a toy!! So I dont guess its not RIDICULOUS to not opt for SE x10 mini.

well the screen is a li'l small but thats not very significant

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
if you are into watching vids, obviously theMini is not an option. But it uses the same proccy as the legend.So it isnt that bad either. Given the legend is almost 3/2th its price.
Well, wait for the i5800 or the X8 then coz there arent many phones that can replace the i6700 right now. Wildfire perhaps?

Oh just an addon to how great the Mini/Pro is
*www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-mini-mini-pro-review/2#comments

Engadget love it. Says a lot. :p

Anyways, as for now, if you are into Android, either wait a bit or extend your budget.

jetboy

Journeyman
I guess waiting is the game I will need to play :-(. I hope Samsung will launch I5800 with the price range below 15k...any idea about it?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I guess waiting is the game I will need to play :-(. I hope Samsung will launch I5800 with the price range below 15k...any idea about it?

did you check Samsung Wave. it doesn't run Android but heard that it's an amazing phone (personally didn't like it that much though). Give it a try at samsung store.

jetboy

Journeyman
@desiibond: Yes I have checked it at the Samsung Store. I didnt like that much too. Not sure how the Bada Os will perform, it seems to be pretty new and immature.

I guess I will wait for I5800. Just hoping the price will be perfect within 15K

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Was Jet a smart phone?:shock: I think its just a dumb feature phone like those corbys that tries to mimic smartphone features
@Vulpine
Nooooo!!!! I meant Jet(A good Multimedia phone), with an AMOLED screen, 800Mhz processor and Divx capabilty was never advertised much even after the price drop(<15K now), not that I meant it was a smartphone, I added it to the not advertised list that's it :p

BTW got a call from Samsung Mobiles Store today that Galaxy S has arrived, went to check it out, it was soo thin and feels pretty solid in hand, didn't get a chance to see that awesome screen, was in a hurry and some higher official at the store gestured the salesman not to put battery :evil:. Quoted 29K, but I'm disappointed with the package, the same earphones of Spica was given, Leather pouch looks too cheap, and nothing except the huge screen and the price tag, says its a high end Phone :p

@others
Don't spread false rumors about phones, Almost 10 users from this thread Own Spica, none of them ever faced the issues you guys mentioned, If you don't like this phone, fine, no one is forcing you to get one, its your hard earned money.
But don't spread false rumors.

And Please keep the SE discussion out of this thread :) and that too X10 mini and pro, cmon !!!!!!!!!

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
@others
Don't spread false rumors about phones, Almost 10 users from this thread Own Spica, none of them ever faced the issues you guys mentioned, If you don't like this phone, fine, no one is forcing you to get one, its your hard earned money.
But don't spread false rumors.

And Please keep the SE discussion out of this thread :) and that too X10 mini and pro, cmon !!!!!!!!!

I dont agree wid u. If there is a better phone available shudnt ppl be made aware of it? It's not good to be obsessed wid just one thing. I think x10 mini pro is a li'l better than spica coz of it's qwerty keyboard and 5 mp cam. I think the screen size is also not that big a deal. I have used n70 before and I used to watch vids on it too. I never felt anything lacking while watching them on n70 so I dont think there wud be ne probs watching them on x10, what with it's slightly bigger screen. After all, all mobile screens are tiny and they hardly make ne diff while watching vids.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
^^ What he meant is that this is Spica thread and we should keep the discussion to it and not go off-topic with comparisons

Top Bottom