Official ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 thread !

Which Team do you think will win the world cup ?

• India

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Bangladesh

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • South Africa

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • England

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • West Indies

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Piyush

Lanaya
Sreesanth's mother in an interview:

if my son had got another over to bowl, dhoni could have had his century!!

Every one is retweeting this like hell. God knows if it is real or fake. :p

if it was true, then we would have been seeing shree's another bunch of photos of his crying attitude

Rahim

Married!
CBEC Clarification on ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 Trophy
April 5, 2011

The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC), Ministry of Finance has denied that the original ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 trophy is lying in the Airport Customs Warehouse in Mumbai. The clarification was issued in response to the report appearing in certain section of media that actual ICC Cricket World Cup trophy has not been awarded to the winning India Cricket team at Wankhede Stadium,Mumbai on Saturday,2nd April,2011.

ICC has also confirmed that the trophy presented to Indian Cricket team at Wankhede Stadium on Saturday, 2nd April 2011 was original ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 trophy and the one that was always intended to be presented to the winner of the event. It has further added that the trophy seized by Mumbai Customs is the promotional, perpetual trophy which remains in the keeping of the ICC at its headquarters in Dubai. It carries the generic ICC corporate logo rather than the logo specific to the 2011 event. That trophy will be reclaimed today and will travel back to Dubai with ICC staff as was always intended.

The Central Board of Excise & Customs (CBEC) has further informed that two passengers by the name of Mrs. Emma Waite and Mr. Rixon Heyder, arrived by Flight 9W 255 on 1st April, 2011 at Mumbai airport from Colombo. They were carrying a trophy in their personal baggage which was claimed to be ‘ICC Perpetual Trophy’. All goods and equipments imported temporarily for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 tournament, a list of which was given by the ICC Tournament Committee, have been exempted from customs duty. However, the list given by the ICC Tournament Committee did not cover the aforesaid trophy which was claimed by the passengers to be ‘ICC Perpetual Trophy’.

To remove all doubts, the concerned Customs officer(s), therefore, contacted the ICC Tournament Director and enquired about the said ‘trophy’, so that appropriate action could be taken expeditiously and the matter resolved.

In response, Professor R.S. Shetty, Tournament Director, ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 vide his letter dated 1.4.2011 addressed to Commissioner of Customs, Air Cargo Complex, Sahar, Mumbai informed that:

i) The ‘trophy’ in question was not to be used for any purpose inside the country for the ongoing World Cup;

ii) It was being carried by Mrs. Emma Waite and Mr. Rixon Heyder as their personal baggage and that it would have been taken back to the ICC Headquarters on completion of their assignment in India;

iii) That the trophy shall be collected by the above passengers on their way back to their destination;

A request was also made in the letter of Professor Shetty that the Customs office may hold the trophy in the Customs warehouse at the Mumbai Airport till it is collected by the above passengers on their return.

It is, therefore, clear that the trophy meant for the winning side has been given to the winning side and an avoidable controversy appears to have arisen in the matter
Media as always like sound bites.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
BCCI announced 1cr/player cash reward. Dhoni is getting customized Ferrari GTO and now Amrapali builders have announced 9cr. villa to each player. I think most of them already have homes in Amby valley too!!! Guess my choice in career was wrong :(

Advertisers are already paying them fat compensations.
The reason why I hate Cricket and Yindans. Should concentrate on other sports now.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ :rofl::rofl:

He is sitting there and just looking at Sangakara. With that fear they easily started bowling bad and we won... :D

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
vamsi_krishna said:
Sreesanth's mother in an interview:

if my son had got another over to bowl, dhoni could have had his century!!

Nice one :D I will also give it a retweet :p

I think its false because
Piyush said:
if it was true, then we would have been seeing shree's another bunch of photos of his crying attitude

ajayritik

Technomancer
BCCI announced 1cr/player cash reward. Dhoni is getting customized Ferrari GTO and now Amrapali builders have announced 9cr. villa to each player. I think most of them already have homes in Amby valley too!!! Guess my choice in career was wrong :(

Advertisers are already paying them fat compensations.

The reason why I hate Cricket and Yindans. Should concentrate on other sports now.

I guess both of you guys don't know what happened when India was out in the first round of 2007 World Cup. Some of the people had demolished an under construction house of Dhoni at that time.

Gagan I'm not sure whether you had made the same statement of wrong choice in career at that point of time. Advertisers obviously get a good mileage if the team or the players are doing well. Do you think this same advertisers will go to the cricketers if they are doing badly. Even Pepsi had terminated contract with Sachin when he was going through a lean patch couple of years ago. And the amount these guys are earning is very less compared to the Proffessionals who play Football, Golf etc.

I admit that to an extent the media goes overboard in highlighting cricket related stuff. But what about other sports? Has India been doing consistenly good in other sports?

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
@ajayritik: It was sarcasm buddy. Please take it lightly :)
As its raining money for the players from every possible corner, which I think is unnecessary and due to hype created by media, I made that statement. :)

rajeevk

Journeyman
Shreeshant is so ashant that a single boundary in his over can destroy his line and length. He can have a great future but he must control his agression.

abhidev

Human Spambot
I think they deserve all these perks and money they are getting...after all they got the world cup back after 28 long years....surely they are over hyped but still...they played good cricket at the end of the day

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I think they deserve all these perks and money they are getting...after all they got the world cup back after 28 long years....surely they are over hyped but still...they played good cricket at the end of the day

Yes they do deserve....but I think BCCI giving 1Crore to each player is more than enuf....

coz Delhi Govt giving 1Crore & 2Cr 2 dhoni is somewhat not good..coz its people money & shud be invested in good cause & developement :mrgreen:

Baker

Albicelestes
+++1 ^^

bcci has got hell of money from many souces like ads and media rights..

but i cant belive govt is giving crores of rupees to player....

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Sachin Tendulkar really deserves Bharat Ratna. 22 years of service to the nation. 6 World Cup's he played it. Holds most of records in cricket.

Last edited:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Bharat Ratna is something which was intended to be awarded for the highest degrees of national service which includes art, literature, scientific achievements, as well as public service in high order.

Cricket is none of them. He has already got Arjun Award for his contributions which is the highest award for sports.

IMPO I do not think Bharat ratna should be given to Sachin but I am sure that some parties (you know which) will get it done to achieve political mileage (specially in a particular state) because they have nothing else to do.

And on what basis can you term a sport as a service?

Top Bottom