Official ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 thread !

Which Team do you think will win the world cup ?

• India

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Bangladesh

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • South Africa

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • England

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • West Indies

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
But what about other sports? Has India been doing consistenly good in other sports?
It is not about India being consistently good in other sports.

1) Indians don't care about anything other than Cricket. Lack of sporting culture in the country.
2) Media only cares about Cricket. Cheap news and coverage which triggers immaturity among the Indian public. what the eff is "Team India"?? It is "Indian Cricket Team" ffs!
3) Government doesn't really bother about improving the infrastructure of other sports.

Now as we are flawed at all the three levels, nothing is going to happen. Talk about motivation mate. If you'll go out, buy a Rs. 20 ticket and watch a Football/Hockey match, it will make a difference. How will our athletes who are engaged in other sports perform when they won't have any sort of motivation? Govt., media and public are not even interested in them. It is not the other way round. Though I agree that if they'll start performing better, public might get interested. Still it is a symbiotic process.

And Cricket was never bigger than Hockey before 1983, let me tell you this.

And the amount these guys are earning is very less compared to the Proffessionals who play Football, Golf etc.
Why not talk about the Indian scenario? Professional Hockey and Football players in India fail to even feed their families.

Govt. should make it compulsory for upper middle class families to go and watch at least one sporting even in a year. But then Indian mentality will say, "hum se tum 10000 rupe le lo, humara time barbaad mat karo."

after all they got the world cup back after 28 long years....
It only a colonial sport played extensively in 8 countries and easily overshadowed in its "homeland."

abhidev

Human Spambot
Bharat Ratna is something which was intended to be awarded for the highest degrees of national service which includes art, literature, scientific achievements, as well as public service in high order.

Cricket is none of them. He has already got Arjun Award for his contributions which is the highest award for sports.

IMPO I do not think Bharat ratna should be given to Sachin but I am sure that some parties (you know which) will get it done to achieve political mileage (specially in a particular state) because they have nothing else to do.

And on what basis can you term a sport as a service?

Maybe they made India stand out as the best Cricket Team in the whole world....:)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
hehe yeah, and its all over facebook. each one of my friend is posting it..its so annoying :D

It only a colonial sport played extensively in 8 countries and easily overshadowed in its "homeland."

though I agree to all other points mentioned by you. but this is just your misconception. It looks as if you think that playing cricket shows that we are still, mentally, slaves of England. It is just a game which was invented by people in England. True it is more popular in England and all other colonial countries, but you have said it yourself that it was not much popular before 1983 (although my father disagrees to that) so the logic of it being a colonial game fails there itself.

I understand that government and people of India need to support other games as well, Hockey being our national game needs more attention than any other. But I do not think that hating cricket or denouncing it will help much. :)

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^ ++1

It is not about India being consistently good in other sports.

1) Indians don't care about anything other than Cricket. Lack of sporting culture in the country.
2) Media only cares about Cricket. Cheap news and coverage which triggers immaturity among the Indian public. what the eff is "Team India"?? It is "Indian Cricket Team" ffs!
3) Government doesn't really bother about improving the infrastructure of other sports.

Now as we are flawed at all the three levels, nothing is going to happen. Talk about motivation mate. If you'll go out, buy a Rs. 20 ticket and watch a Football/Hockey match, it will make a difference. How will our athletes who are engaged in other sports perform when they won't have any sort of motivation? Govt., media and public are not even interested in them. It is not the other way round. Though I agree that if they'll start performing better, public might get interested. Still it is a symbiotic process.

And Cricket was never bigger than Hockey before 1983, let me tell you this.

Why not talk about the Indian scenario? Professional Hockey and Football players in India fail to even feed their families.

Govt. should make it compulsory for upper middle class families to go and watch at least one sporting even in a year. But then Indian mentality will say, "hum se tum 10000 rupe le lo, humara time barbaad mat karo."

If in general Indian public is not open to other sports, is that the problem with cricketers?
Who is responsible for India not having sporting culture?

I agree with your point about Media putting too much of focus on Cricket.

Honestly if you want to criticise about the government there are far more serious problems that the government can look into before trying to fix the sports problems.

You are saying media doesnt have publicise when Saina Nehwal or Mahesh Bhupathi or the other athletes perform well in other sports.

Please dont give these ideas wherein govt should tell Upper Class families to go and watch other sports. That looks like a dumb idea to me.

Even though I'm a big cricket buff I do watch some of the other sports that involve Indian sportsmens like Tennis, Hockey etc.

But honestly how good are these other sportsmen with respect to consistency etc.

Also most of the sporting events are telecast on Doordarshan which goes even into remotest parts of India. I bet people out there wouldnt watch other sports as much as they watch cricket. Indian Games, Asian Games, Olympics etc are telecasted on Doordarshan.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
I think sachin should support anna hazare fast against lokpal bill.It will become a revolution and add support to it.

When he is earning so much money from cricket,why doesn't he do something for country.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
though I agree to all other points mentioned by you. but this is just your misconception. It looks as if you think that playing cricket shows that we are still, mentally, slaves of England. It is just a game which was invented by people in England. True it is more popular in England and all other colonial countries, but you have said it yourself that it was not much popular before 1983 (although my father disagrees to that) so the logic of it being a colonial game fails there itself.

I understand that government and people of India need to support other games as well, Hockey being our national game needs more attention than any other.
Cricket is very popular in England and people follow County Cricket extensively. But Football easily overshadows it. Try asking them which sport they find more interesting - Cricket or Football. You'll get the answer. Heck, even Football and Hockey originated from England.

I've striked off the part you said to me. It is completely untrue. I've celebrated the Indian CWC win as much as you have.

All you need is success and a world beater. The nation follows. We won thw CWC 1983, Sachin came in 1989 and that kick-started Cricket. Before Kerry Packer's Circus, Cricket wasn't even commercialized. And before WC 1983 - we had Gavaskar who again was a world beater.

I can't talk about other states, but as far as Haryana is concerned, everyone used to take their stick, go out and play Hockey in the old days.

If India gives birth to another Dhyanchand - a world beater in Hockey, the nation will still follow.

But I do not think that hating cricket or denouncing it will help much. :)
Who hates Cricket? I don't. I've just said other sports are better. Just try regulating media and try generating interest among people for other sports, the nation WILL follow.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
If in general Indian public is not open to other sports, is that the problem with cricketers?
Who is responsible for India not having sporting culture?
Your parents and my parents. "beta padhayi kar le...doctor/engineer baniyo." "har waqt khelta rehta hai" "khelna band nahi kiya tu-ne"

I apologize if you don't speak Hindi. :)

Honestly if you want to criticise about the government there are far more serious problems that the government can look into before trying to fix the sports problems.
Note, if you really want to argue with me. You will have to avoid being generic.

Please dont give these ideas wherein govt should tell Upper Class families to go and watch other sports. That looks like a dumb idea to me.
Indian mentality of not taking anything positively. Remain happy sitting at home and being an arm-chair supporter. But that is one way through which I think we can generate some public interest. If you really think it is a dumb idea, why not yourself come with a better one? How many time have you gone out and watched matches?

Even though I'm a big cricket buff I do watch some of the other sports that involve Indian sportsmens like Tennis, Hockey etc.

But honestly how good are these other sportsmen with respect to consistency etc.
They are doing their best. We are flawed at the infrastructural level - turf and tennis. We really can't get any further than where we are at the moment. We don't have quality coaches for many sports who can identify the talent at a young age and nurture it.

Like I've mentioned, we are flawed at all the three levels and we need to proceed to the correct direction from all ends.

ajayritik

Technomancer
Your parents and my parents. "beta padhayi kar le...doctor/engineer baniyo." "har waqt khelta rehta hai" "khelna band nahi kiya tu-ne"
I apologize if you don't speak Hindi. :)

Indian mentality of not taking anything positively. Remain happy sitting at home and being an arm-chair supporter.

But that is one way through which I think we can generate some public interest. If you really think it is a dumb idea, why not yourself come with a better one?

How many time have you gone out and watched matches?

They are doing their best. We are flawed at the infrastructural level - turf and tennis. We really can't get any further than where we are at the moment. We don't have quality coaches for many sports who can identify the talent at a young age and nurture it.

Like I've mentioned, we are flawed at all the three levels and we need to proceed to the correct direction from all ends.

I understand Hindi so you don't have to apologize. I agree with you on the part about parents partly but if this is really true then we couldn't have so many sportsmen in India. I agree though that the %ge of parents who support their children if they are interested in sports should go up

I also agreed with you that Media has a tendency to sensationalise Cricket etc more as compared to other things.

How can I avoid being generic. Not bringing unrelated things in the discussion

I agree with you when you talk about general people tendency. Even I feel very bad when I see this happening with majority of the Indians.
I'm Sorry if I was rude when I said it was a dumb idea, but I thought it was not a practical idea which would work.
Too be really honest none I have not watched any match live.

Agree again with you about the coaches not available.

Last edited:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I actually thought this was a generic statement. "aur bahut si samasya hai." kaun si samasya? I feel India being poor in sports excluding few is a very big issue.

You have to see, how a country like Netherlands which only has 1.5 crore people competes in every sport. Reached the Football WC final, dominates Hockey and is good enough to also participate in Cricket WC too.

Also, if you'll improve the sports infrastructure, you are also generating employment at many levels. Think about it. :)

I'm Sorry if I was rude when I said it was a dumb idea, but I thought it was not a practical idea which would work.
Nothing to be sorry about, everyone tells me that it is a dumb idea. :mrgreen: But the thing is, if players will see that people are coming to watch them, they'll get motivated. If people will go and watch matches, they'll get motivated to play too.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
A few cents from me:

Media doesn't over hype cricket. The problem with media is, they give the content, which public WANTS to watch, not what they SHOULD watch.
But can you blame media? That is just business to them. They work on TRP.
And about people? A LOT depends on their thinking, and what they desire.

I watched Hockey match at Commonwealth Games which happened in Delhi recently. And although I am not a sports fan, I can't say I enjoyed the Hockey match any less better than Cricket! (I even watched Chak De India the previous day, to know about some rules of Hockey :p, but that is other story.)

In fact the patriotic feeling which you feel when you are cheering for your country in a stadium, is irrespective of the sport. And this is a feeling people should atleast try once, before they decide to give priority to just one sport!

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
In fact the patriotic feeling which you feel when you are cheering for your country in a stadium, is irrespective of the sport. And this is a feeling people should atleast try once, before they decide to give priority to just one sport!

Very true.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Dangerous Dave said:
lets start an IPL Thread![/QUOTE ] No mate. I am not very happy with Ipl.
Money is given way too much thread.
Don't think an Ipl thread is needed as long as we have this open.

Last edited:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I 150% agree with this.

way2jatin

Journeyman
Aamir pledges his support to Hazare's campaign - The Times of India

It is truly said by a super star who himself was showcased in the WC Final 2011

T

The Conqueror

I think we fail to cheer India. When India was losing its momentum in the final match especially when Sachin got out - The whole stadium was silent. It cheers the team only when the batsmen hit a four or six which is not desirable. The audience should cheer in a TOUGH situation. That's patriotism.

I think this thread is related to Cricket so I doubt whether discussing which game is better is inappropriate.

Top Bottom