Official Android discussion thread

ankushv

Journeyman
Google says nougat is official os and the security patch is from 2018.
Any apps you think that might not run on it?

If you think it is time to discard it then please suggest a good mid budget phone with otg support.
Correct about latest security update .
All apps I use on android 10 work flawlessly on my stock note5 .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

OrrBitt

Broken In
you can use android x86 image of 4.2 and the use it to save files in another format

I tried that, but the Android x86 image couldn't open the .gbk file. I have since factory reset the phone and used the backup .gbk file to restore all call logs and SMSes. But the issue of how to open the .gbk file on the computer still remains.

This is regarding my earlier post:
I have an old Android phone; it had a system backup feature which backs up SMS, Call log, etc. When I ran it, it created a single .gbk file. When I try to open the file in Android or in Windows, it displays a lot of gibberish.

I searched online and found an online converter but I don't want to use anything online as the file contains my SMSes. The only software I found that could open it was InterBase and I downloaded and ran it, but couldn't make it work. The other options for opening .gbk files were all related to biology and genes.

Anyone knows how to open a .gbk file on Windows or Ubuntu or Android?

Last edited:

OrrBitt

Broken In
I use this for general backups:
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts&hl=en_IN&gl=US

Thanks for this great app. My current phone (not the old phone with the .gbk file), which runs CrDroid, doesn't have a backup option at all. The app you have suggested did the job.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
@omega44-xt @whitestar_999 @Vyom @Desmond @Nerevarine

Both X3 Pro and Edge 20 fusion would be upgrade over Honor 10 (planning to give it to a family member). I suspect the next one would become the primary and trusty, 5 year old Oneplus 3 would become the secondary option.
X3 Pro for performance and custom rom support.
Edge 20 fusion for OLED screen and cleanest stock rom.

Both have bootloader which can be unlocked, they can be rooted, have (hopefully) better cameras and longer software support. Granted Edge 20 fusion will not have custom roms, but the OLED makes up for it. On the other hand, X3 Pro is cheaper, has many custom roms and 120Hz screen.

Any suggestions?

Phone comparison: Compare Honor 10 vs. Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro vs. Motorola Edge 20 Fusion - GSMArena.com

I know benchmarks are BS for my usage (calling, media consumption and camera)
SoC Comparison:
*www.notebookcheck.net/Kirin-970-vs-SD-860-vs-Dimensity-800U_9236_13224_12955.247596.0.html

Average Benchmarks HiSilicon Kirin 970 → 100%​

Average Benchmarks Qualcomm Snapdragon 860 → 137%​

Average Benchmarks MediaTek Dimensity 800U → 77%​

*www.notebookcheck.net/Kirin-970-vs-Dimensity-800U_9236_12955.247596.0.html

Average Benchmarks MediaTek Dimensity 800U → 100%​

*www.notebookcheck.net/Kirin-970-vs-SD-860_9236_13224.247596.0.html

Average Benchmarks Qualcomm Snapdragon 860 → 143%​

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just keep one thing in mind, without custom roms it is not possible to record calls without alerting the other party in recent phones from Xiamei, realme, oppo , vivo, oneplus etc(incl stock roms from motorola/nokia) except samsung.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Just keep one thing in mind, without custom roms it is not possible to record calls without alerting the other party in recent phones from Xiamei, realme, oppo , vivo, oneplus etc(incl stock roms from motorola/nokia) except samsung.
What ? Really, I record calls all the time, dont think other party gets to know. Ill retry and tell you.

Custom ROMs are dead IMO. Getting banking apps running smoothly >>> minor customization or performance improvement on custom rom.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Custom ROMs are dead IMO. Getting banking apps running smoothly >>> minor customization or performance improvement on custom rom.
Only reason I'd go with custom roms is if the stock rom is MIUI or Oxygen OS (which now is being run on ColorOS parasite). Won't consider phones which have crap stock rom and can't be flashed.

Stock-ish android on Moto phones is the reason why I'm even considering Edge 20 Fusion. I'd be okay with not rooting it as well since almost every app I use has a backup and restore option. Might even unroot and lock bootloader of Oneplus 3 (still on custom rom though) if it becomes secondary and I have to install banking apps on it.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Really ? They have done it at hardware level or OS level.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What ? Really, I record calls all the time, dont think other party gets to know. Ill retry and tell you.
Google has signed an agreement with all major phone manufacturers to push their google dialer which only record calls after alerting the other party so as to be in accordance with various US states laws which prohibit such "secret call recordings" as google has to follow US laws. The restrictions are at kernel level so even after rooting the phone you won't be able to achieve the functionality of recording calls like earlier even by using 3rd party apps incl paid ones(even installing older dialer apk won't work, this trick used to work in some older models but not anymore). Currently all such recording apps bypass this by either capturing audio of other party via phone microphone(low volume/inaudible) or speakerphone(no privacy in a public place plus external audio interference) or by creating a virtual 3rd party conference call at app server which then record both parties audio(again privacy issue as recording app has full access to call audio). This was adopted by Xiaomi in somewhere around mid 2020 while realme adopted it a bit later in 2020(poco f2 has the Mi dialer but later versions don't). Samsung is currently not following it at least in India probably because they are big enough to resist google's pressure.

I am surprised many people don't know about it, my friend recently purchased realme Narzo 30 & he confirmed that on enabling call recording there is a loud announcement of call being recorded audible to both him & the other party at the start of the call.

@Zangetsu

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I am surprised many people don't know about it, my friend recently purchased realme Narzo 30 & he confirmed that on enabling call recording there is a loud announcement of call being recorded audible to both him & the other party at the start of the call.

@Zangetsu

Not that this would matter to me, can't we mute and then start recording? Probably an audio file is triggered from the kernel when the record button is pressed, maybe like an IVR option.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
^^ I'm using Realme X2 Pro and there is no intimation sound while recording.

Does it have google dialer? Actually EU went crazy and forced everyone, including zoom, to add this "recardingg inn proguess" tone before every time it is recorded. In a. Way, it is. Useless feature now as the voice repeats in a interval of 30-45seconds in phones.

Now oppo vivo, being lazy asf everytime, this time decided to use Google dialer instead of doing hardwork and making one themselves. Samsung didn't do such thing. Atleast in India.

Now like the old times, to record call fr phone, we need to do this by extracting audio through headphone jack and connect it to a casette or tape recprder.

After all, this law does not exist in India. But still is forced upon us.

Agreed. With the downfall of OP, Samsung is the only sensible option for me, that's why I bought a new Samsung. I honestly don't like the lack of features in stock android for myself, but it is good for most people.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not that this would matter to me, can't we mute and then start recording? Probably an audio file is triggered from the kernel when the record button is pressed, maybe like an IVR option.
Not possible, restriction is at kernel level & such bypass methods already thought of when placing the restriction.e.g. In samsung phones you can't record a call on the fly meaning call recording function must be enabled before the call connects & not like you can decide to record the call in between by pressing the record button.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Not possible, restriction is at kernel level & such bypass methods already thought of when placing the restriction.e.g. In samsung phones you can't record a call on the fly meaning call recording function must be enabled before the call connects & not like you can decide to record the call in between by pressing the record button.
Okay, coming back to X3 pro vs Edge 20 fusion, WWYD?

Last edited:
Top Bottom