Official Android discussion thread

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
@whitestar_999 Thanks for the link. I'll try it out. The old phone I've mentioned runs android 4.2.

Isn't there any way to open the gbk file on the computer? I'd like to save the call logs, SMSes, etc in txt format.

There is some kind of problem with the phone - two days back it started giving a message that the battery is too hot and I should remove it, and I did but it was cold to the touch. I installed a temperature app and first it showed the battery temp as -22 degrees (yes, too cold and not hot) while the cpu temps were around 40-45 degrees. After restarting the phone, the app started showing the correct battery temp, somewhere around 35 degrees. Also, the screen suddenly shows lines and stuff and locking and unlocking the phone sometimes solves the problem, sometimes doesn't. It could be a software problem so I was going to factory reset it, which is why I made the backup.

you can use android x86 image of 4.2 and the use it to save files in another format

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not so obsessed but I really like Mediatek as a brand because it produces processors for literally all kinds of smart electronics and gadgets and even vehicles as well which is pretty fascinating and huge.
Nothing surprising in this considering age of IoT. Even snapdragon/qualcomm are doing/going to do same thing.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Not so obsessed but I really like Mediatek as a brand because it produces processors for literally all kinds of smart electronics and gadgets and even vehicles as well which is pretty fascinating and huge.

Before mediatek, it was samsung used that widely. And dont forget TMSC which is the main fab on which most chips are manufactured.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
What's surprising is mediatek and nvidia have partnered up to manufacture arm laptops running mobile GPUs with raytracing and dlss support. Someone recently made a video of Wolfenstein running with ray tracing.

So it's samsung with Exynos + amd, mediatek + nvidia, apple with m1 and m1x ?

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Hello everyone,
I want to know if getting the screen of a galaxy note 5 repaired makes any sense?
Can it still run new android os versions and latest apps?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hello everyone,
I want to know if getting the screen of a galaxy note 5 repaired makes any sense?
get a new phone. genuine screen repair will cost a Bomb. and the duplicate screen repair will not last long.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Its my sister's. She has both note 3 and note 5 lying around. Note 3 crashed because of software and note 5 got a little water underneath screen so theres a blurry patch. So she said that if note 5 can still be used with 12k something repairs it is still worth than throwing away a 65k phone.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
There is no guarantee the repaired screen will last long again. With the same amount you will get a faster phone with latest OS

ankushv

Journeyman
Hello everyone,
I have a note 5 , there are no updates from Samsung and the Ui is dated . But the note features are awesome . Your call if to repair or not.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
I have a note 5 , there are no updates from Samsung and the Ui is dated . But the note features are awesome . Your call if to repair or not.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
What is the android version it can run smoothly? Is it limited to nougat and oreo or it can run pie?

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Google says nougat is official os and the security patch is from 2018.
Any apps you think that might not run on it?

If you think it is time to discard it then please suggest a good mid budget phone with otg support.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
What custom roms are reliable? What os base rom should be best oreo or 10?
Do suggest a new phone in case the screen repair costs over 15k.

Top Bottom