Official Android discussion thread

blacklight

Journeyman
@gopi_vbboy thanks for the info..i have been looking for a mid range android phone...rejected wildfire coz display looked pathetic...was waiting for x8 but seems like SE is not interested in launching it anytime soon..add to it..head rumours that x8 may not get froyo..thats what brought me to galaxy3 .Hows the battery backup and are there apps for the galaxy3 ? i have read that since it has an odd resolution,getting compatible apps may be an issue

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Camera is ok...resolution is high...but images get shaky some time.

The screen resolution is good...IMO i dont actually need so much colour as in galaxy S AMOLED...thats why i preferred G3

Icons

I Get a E sumbol in 2g signal...H symbol + 3g symbol in 3g signal(GSM+WCDMA mode)

ya i tried the apn seeting in New apn aslo still it fails to work

but the bsnlnet apn without proxy is connecting

actually if it coonects i get free net
:-o

Tried reading your question several time but didn't quite understood your doubt.

A) Do you have 3G active on your connection?
B) bsnlnet refers to which access point (3G or 2G)? I presume there should be only one access point.
C) How will you get free internet?

Kindly rephrase your question for better understanding?

BTW Installed bing for Android. If you intrested in trying it out. Google for bing.apk and install using a file manager or adb. :)

*img163.imageshack.us/img163/8443/bing.png

Last edited:

ladoo1985

Broken In
Hi Guys,
I'm able to find spica in delhi :):)...should i go for it as no other options suits well...??
Please comment coz i need to make the decision by today only....!!!

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Tried reading your question several time but didn't quite understood your doubt.

A) Do you have 3G active on your connection?
B) bsnlnet refers to which access point (3G or 2G)? I presume there should be only one access point.
C) How will you get free internet?

Kindly rephrase your question for better understanding?

BTW Installed bing for Android. If you intrested in trying it out. Google for bing.apk and install using a file manager or adb. :)

*img163.imageshack.us/img163/8443/bing.png

I will put my question simple to you

bsnlnet apn is working fine as it has no proxy

but bsnlportal,bsnllive accesspoints are not working as they have proxy setting

proxy-10.31.54.2
port-9401

even if i enter them ...i am unable to connect to internet using those to wap.cellone.in

but the apn work fin in my k810i

so i think there is some bug in android 2.1 regarding proxy setting for accesspoints

ladoo1985

Broken In
WHERE did you find spica?! Please tell me :)
Not exactly in delhi...in Gurgaon next to where i live....he is selling it for 12500/-....please comment should i go for it or wait for froyo and then buy the Monster Galaxy S.....coz we always want to have the best...:-D
And another thing is the Spica I5700 updated to v2.1 eclair or not coz its with the v1.5.....????

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
I will put my question simple to you

bsnlnet apn is working fine as it has no proxy

but bsnlportal,bsnllive accesspoints are not working as they have proxy setting

proxy-10.31.54.2
port-9401

even if i enter them ...i am unable to connect to internet using those to wap.cellone.in

but the apn work fin in my k810i

so i think there is some bug in android 2.1 regarding proxy setting for accesspoints

Then bsnlnet is the main APN. Don't bother about other access points. Two other APNs be there for GPRS(WAP) and MMS. Proxy settings are normally associated with APNs which offer limited GPRS access. At least this is true for Vodafone and Airtel.

If you are able to open full http sites using bsnlnet then stick with it.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Not exactly in delhi...in Gurgaon next to where i live....he is selling it for 12500/-....please comment should i go for it or wait for froyo and then buy the Monster Galaxy S.....coz we always want to have the best...:-D
And another thing is the Spica I5700 updated to v2.1 eclair or not coz its with the v1.5.....????
Buy it! Also, can you give me the address? How many pieces doe he have?

blacklight

Journeyman
@gopi_vbboy and other Galaxy 3 owners
can you pls post some screen shots of your phone ? home screen and any other customization that you may have done ..

blacklight

Journeyman
hello everybody,looking for some advice
i am looking for an android phone and whatever search i have done tells that all mid range android phones (Wildfire and Galaxy 3 ) have low resolutions... so i was thinking of stretching my budget and getting a better device..
The nearest device i could find is the HTC Legend ..which retails around 23K ..which IMO is kinda over priced considering that Legend is an older device and the latest Desire is almost close (another 4 K ) ..what do u guys suggest ? are there any new and cheaper devices in the offing ? i would prefer HTC coz i love the sense ui

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
i am looking for an android phone and whatever search i have done tells that all mid range android phones (Wildfire and Galaxy 3 ) have low resolutions... so i was thinking of stretching my budget and getting a better device..
The nearest device i could find is the HTC Legend ..which retails around 23K ..which IMO is kinda over priced considering that Legend is an older device and the latest Desire is almost close (another 4 K ) ..what do u guys suggest ? are there any new and cheaper devices in the offing ? i would prefer HTC coz i love the sense ui

If you can afford than Desire is def. the better option. it has a better screen, processor and as far as my knowledge goes Desire(s) meant for India are getting Froyo updates. With bill and in a high taxed place like Mumbai Desire costs 27K. Check your local prices.

Legend too comes with its share of pros; its a sleek unibody design. Its takes over where its predecessor HTC Hero left. I am not sure if its getting Froyo yet and yes its slightly slightly over priced. Bottom line is Legend is not a bad phone at all; its just overpriced. Pick your poison :).

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
woo hoo. check out this video guys. offline maps are coming to HTC Desire HD.

YouTube - HTC Desire HD - A Closer Look

I would say pick Milestone or Samsung Galaxy S or HTC Desire. Though Desire is 26k, the only advantage it has over Milestone is that it has more RAM. But on the other hand, Milestone comes with hard qwerty, better GPU and faster 3G. SGS on the other hand is much better than these two with bigger, clearer and crisper screen, better audio and video quality, DivX integration, huge 2GB ROM, wifi N, DLNA, very powerful CPU/GPU. The only issue is with the lag and with Froyo and GPS fix coming in next few days, all of that will be fixed. Also, there are lot of custom ROMs for SGS that can be used to have a very good experience.

HTC Sense UI on Desire is very good but here is the thing:

I am using Legend and the Sense UI, though allows lot of customization, interfers a lot if one wants to use non-senseUI applications for same task. You just cannot turn off the sense UI apps like mail,messages etc. I recently installed Froyo based ROM (without SenseUI) .Before using the vanilla android UI, I though I can't live without Sense UI but not having SenseUI felt better as the OS is clean, light, faster and now I have more features due to less restrictions.

Legend too comes with its share of pros; its a sleek unibody design. Its takes over where its predecessor HTC Hero left. I am not sure if its getting Froyo yet and yes its slightly slightly over priced. Bottom line is Legend is not a bad phone at all; its just overpriced. Pick your poison :).
I am using CyanogetMod 6 Froyo ROM for Legend. Without Sense UI, it's very fast. Not sure when Legend will get 2.2 update. It could be by the end of this year.

Last edited:

pid 0

Right off the assembly line
I noticed a strange issue in threaded sms. If my mobile clock (time) is faster by 10 mins, and the person i'm sms'ing has it 10 mins slower than mine, then the conversation is all skewed up... my texts are shown as the latest and the replies from the other person are before my msgs due to the time difference. That's very weird and annoying. I can adjust my clock to one person, but what if someone else has their clock at a different time from me....

How do i get around and have the conversation stacked in order of messages sent and received rather than time based sorting??? Anyone else faced this issue?? and are there any workarounds?

BTW Faced this problem in the default messaging client of sense UI...android 2.1

blacklight

Journeyman
thanks @amitabhishek and @desiibond for stopping by :)
if i could have afforded a desire, i would have gone for one,but my initial budget was 15- 17k ..now streched to 22K ..so can't stretch anymore..right now so GS,Desire are out of reach.
I was also hoping that there could be price cut for Legend now that Desire has arrived.Also will Legend get froyo ? If not it surely will be a deal breaker.

@desiibond
have not looked at Milestone..coz have not heard much of it atleast in TDF forums..and i heard Moto phones are not very popular in the mod community..maybe i should take a look at it ..

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
thanks @amitabhishek and @desiibond for stopping by :)
if i could have afforded a desire, i would have gone for one,but my initial budget was 15- 17k ..now streched to 22K ..so can't stretch anymore..right now so GS,Desire are out of reach.
I was also hoping that there could be price cut for Legend now that Desire has arrived.Also will Legend get froyo ? If not it surely will be a deal breaker.

@desiibond
have not looked at Milestone..coz have not heard much of it atleast in TDF forums..and i heard Moto phones are not very popular in the mod community..maybe i should take a look at it ..

This link should help you get some idea on android modding for milestone : Motorola Milestone Android Development - xda-developers

I have tried friend's milestone and felt that it is one of the phones that is not getting enough attention. HTC Sense is good but only for those who use it without rooting etc. If one does modding etc and install custom firmware, the milestone's bigger display and better processing power adds a huge + over Legend's.

Give it a try in mobile stores and make your decision. Even with the qwerty keypad, it's really thing and the build quality too is top notch.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
@all..one basi noob q abt android

Is android OS based phone gud for browsing only..I have UL BB @ home so wouldnt be surfing much from mobile...

Is android useless without GPRS/3G ?? or we can install game,apps etc which dont require GPRS ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@all..one basi noob q abt android

Is android OS based phone gud for browsing only..I have UL BB @ home so wouldnt be surfing much from mobile...

Is android useless without GPRS/3G ?? or we can install game,apps etc which dont require GPRS ?

You need wifi or GPRS/edge to install apps from android market. And without edge atleast, having any smartphone is useless. A 7k 5230 is more than enough.

Top Bottom