odd sounds during BIOS POST

joy.das.jd

Journeyman
I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L motherboard with Q8200, along with a XFX 9800 GTX+ GPU. The SMPS is a Corsair TX 650 and I am using only one stick of 2GB DDR2 (800 MHz) RAM. A few days back , while playing NFS:hot pursuit 2010, my PC just hanged. I used the reset button only to find that the maachine won't boot.

During boot up process, there was a distinct beeps (3beeps-3beeps-3beeps long pause-1 Long beep) and the numlock on the keyboard would be on. But no display, nor any thing. However if used the RESET button , then the machine would boot fine with a short single beep (i guess this means everything is fine).

At first I thought that my GPU may be dying. So i replaced it with ATI 3850, but still the hang up during BIOS POST. But after reset everything works fine.

So I updated my BIOS to the latest f9 version, cleared the CMOS. Now everything works fine. But every time the 3 beep codes still occurs. What could be problem?

Please help.

OP
J

joy.das.jd

Journeyman
Thanks mate. Just found out that the hard way.

My dear 9800 GTX+ died today and I am unable to boot using this GPU.

Right now I am using a spare ATI 3850 graphics card and everything works fine. But three beep code (3beeps-3beeps-3beeps) still occurs. Does that mean that this card can also die in a few days?

Also could it be due to poor earthing. I think the earthing in my room is not working properly (I get a jarring shock if I touch the metal part of the cabinet while it is on).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, earthing could be the ssue - fix it asap and also check your memory modules with memtest86.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
@OP fix the earthing asap improper earthing in PC causes a lot of weird problems & i think maybe it was the cause of the dead 9800

OP
J

joy.das.jd

Journeyman
i have tested the RAM modules and they are working fine. Will fix the earthing immediately. Thanks for your help guys.

Top Bottom