Nvidia unleashes the Titan

Nvidia has finally lift the curtain off its GK110 based desktop GPU and maximumPC has reviewed it too. Although already present in the form of business computer and supercomputer, the GK110 has been officially released for desktop by Nviidia.Main features:> Double the performance of GTX680 with a single gpu card> Whisper quite, even in 3-way SLI> Priced almost same ass GTX690> Much lower noise, power consumption, heat dissipation> 6 GB GDDR5 memory> ~2300 CUDA cores> Software adjustable geforce gtx logo :-D> Targetable gpu temperatureNow that's why I just love Nvidiasourcs: Nvidia Unleashes the Titan | Maximum PC

> Alluminium casing instead of magnesium alloy> board makers are not alloweed to make any modifivations, so all cards will look the same> 1" smaller than GTX 690> Better thermal paste than GTX 690, that can absorbe heat twice more efficiently than the one used in GTX 690

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
Yeah, $999 is the price announced by Nvidia, and isn't that great that a new most ridiculously fast GPU is available at the same prices as that of current most ridiculously fast GPU? I wonder when Intel will release a CPU for this card to prevent bottlenecks by the CPU.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Is $999 price point an indication of titan beating the 690 fair and square??

I mean why would they price it similarly with their flagship product? Should make some sense.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guru3D has a lengthy preview too:-

GeForce GTX Titan preview - Article

Monitor overclocking, seriously?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes , if a monitor has the capability of going higher than the default 60hz refresh rate, it will do so and give higher fps with v-sync cap.
I guess more light will be thrown on this when the benches come out after a couple of days.

Tomshardware was hinting at a performance between a 690 and 7970 ghz edition crossfire.
Lets see how this turns out to be.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yeah with double power consumption, noise, heat, space and not to forget, micro stuttering which is horrible sometimes in cf. No such issues with a single gpu and especially with one this quiet, efficient yet powerful.
Nvidia's reference design of titan is by far the most perfect one ever implemented in a single gpu card. Board makers like asus/evga claim to be thinking in a different perspective to outdo
nvidia's reference. Lets see what they bring into the table. Since this won't be a limited edition card and will be available just like 6xx gpu's, expect discounts and rebates from vendors. India is a complete different story though.

This beast just needs a 550w psu to run which was simply unheard of before for a card claiming to offer such high performance.
Even if it turns out to be slower than a 690, it will still have its pros and that too big ones like mentioned above.

Don't forget the compute performance. Its one of the major usp of titan and nvidia has unlocked all 64 DP units in this one. One can toggle to enable or disable fp64 units through nvidia control panel on the fly.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
Nvidia beats amd when it comes to power consumption, efficiency, heat, noise, and other multi gpu setup troubles, maybe thats the reason most supercomputers use nvidia's gpu. Even the current fastest supercomputer is based on titan. One can either go for equal performance at lower cost or slightly more performance at much higher cost with lower heat dissipation, noise, power consumption. The power consumption is the variable which does shows its benefit in the long run.

Nvidia beats amd when it comes to power consumption, efficiency, heat, noise, and other multi gpu setup troubles, maybe thats the reason most supercomputers use nvidia's gpu. Even the current fastest supercomputer is based on titan. One can either go for equal performance at lower cost or slightly more performance at much higher cost with lower heat dissipation, noise, power consumption. The power consumption is the variable which does shows its benefit in the long run.

A few more articles:*www.anandtech.com/show/6763/highend-meets-small-form-factor-geforce-titan-in-falcon-northwests-tikihttp://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1

A few more articles:*www.anandtech.com/show/6763/highend-meets-small-form-factor-geforce-titan-in-falcon-northwests-tikihttp://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^^
At idle the Tiki benefits from tons of power gating on the two big consumers in the system (Intel's Core i7 and NVIDIA's GF Titan), my test system only drew 50.5W at the wall - that's actually less power than a slim Xbox 360 at idle. Under load it's a different story however. The Titan equipped Tiki pulled a peak of 323.5W, but sustained power consumption with a GPU heavy workload was 286.5W.

:shock: WTH??

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Or Ultra dumb-head. Lets hope reviewers will do a shootout against similarly priced configs, say a 7950 triple CF which costs $100 lesser than this.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
Nvidia targeted 3 user groups with the consumer Titan, the CUDA developers, high end gamers and high end small form factor gaming rigs. It's just not targeted at mainstream audience. And I dont think the price is not justified (without duties :-D). $1000 for the world's fastest graphic card with much lower heat, noise (3 way sli is whisper quite at full load), heat generation is alright IMO.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
7950 tri CF :lol: Meant for dumb-heads for sure.
I mean, no sane person in the planet having disposable income will spend on three guzzling and noisy gpu's.
Scaling will be inconsistent and unworthy.
Besides, the problems associated with three cards in CF is way worse than two.

Last edited:

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
I found the person who will buy this card! I know this is too much trolling but dont ban me for this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/buying-advice/170402-advice-my-frndz.html#post1846021

Top Bottom