Nvidia drivers killing GPUs, Don't install anything after 320.18. Edit: Issues are now fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Its overvolting because of the modified vBIOS imo. Drivers don't cause gpu's to automatically over volt. Either you do that manually or takes the value of the current installed bios profile.

I hope you know that drivers control the voltages through interaction with the vBIOS. With Kepler, drivers are significantly more in control of the voltages after Nvidia locked out the user from extensively overvolting his/her GPUs. Only the first batch of MSI lightning edition GPUs had true voltage tuning.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I hope you know that drivers control the voltages through interaction with the vBIOS. With Kepler, drivers are significantly more in control of the voltages after Nvidia locked out the user from extensively overvolting his/her GPUs. Only the first batch of MSI lightning edition GPUs had true voltage tuning.

Yes, GPU boost auto adjusts the voltage from a range of 0.987v - 1.150v normally. At more higher clocks, it goes past the slider in some cases.

Here some more info on kepler's voltage and overclocking - HARDOCP - Introduction to Overclocking - NVIDIA Kepler GeForce GTX 680 Overclocking Review

The 680 still relies on TDP for gpu boost to work. So i guess in Rishi's case, its normal.

Hrishi

Its overvolting because of the modified vBIOS imo. Drivers don't cause gpu's to automatically over volt. Either you do that manually or takes the value of the current installed bios profile.
I'd say revert back to your default bios or decrease the voltage manually to previous value. That could be the cause of your BSOD's. Decrease the voltage to 0.987V and then see if it still crashes or gives BSOD's in 320.49.

IMO it shouldn't because there 320.49 is bug free. Do that and report here mate. :)

If your system isn't showing any signs of problems, then i don't see any reasons to revert back, if you are on 320.49 WHQL.

You didn't read the last part of the post.It wasn't overvolting on 314.xx but it's doing that on 320.49 at same clock speed infact sometimes the voltage fluctuates from 0.8V to 1.02volt even without any load on GPU , which leads to increase in GPu temperature.
The vBIOS MOD was same for both drivers.
Also AFAIK , 320.18 was lethal because it had powerful control over the voltages.So , drivers do control the voltages.

Anyways , it seems my system is throwing multiple BSODs in past couple of days ever since I installed the 320.xx drivers.:(. [ I have posted a thread on that.])
I am thinking about a CLean Windows intallation now.Looks like drivers have been badly messed up. Not able to figure out what's the root cause of problems.
Whether it's the residual 320.18 files (though , I used DC).Or is it Intel drivers , or whatever.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
You didn't read the last part of the post.It wasn't overvolting on 314.xx but it's doing that on 320.49 at same clock speed infact sometimes the voltage fluctuates from 0.8V to 1.02volt even without any load on GPU , which leads to increase in GPu temperature.
The vBIOS MOD was same for both drivers.
Also AFAIK , 320.18 was lethal because it had powerful control over the voltages.So , drivers do control the voltages.

Anyways , it seems my system is throwing multiple BSODs in past couple of days ever since I installed the 320.xx drivers.:(. [ I have posted a thread on that.])
I am thinking about a CLean Windows intallation now.Looks like drivers have been badly messed up. Not able to figure out what's the root cause of problems.
Whether it's the residual 320.18 files (though , I used DC).Or is it Intel drivers , or whatever.

Trying running a high bitrate 1080p video for extended hours ( 1 or 2). See if the system throws a BSOD or not.
Re installing OS in the primary partition is a good way to rule out BSOD due to drivers. Do that if possible.

Hrishi

Trying running a high bitrate 1080p video for extended hours ( 1 or 2). See if the system throws a BSOD or not.
Re installing OS in the primary partition is a good way to rule out BSOD due to drivers. Do that if possible.

Yeah , that's what I am planning to do now.
Btw , here is that BSOD information thread for some of the recent BSODs.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/175778-need-help-bsods.html]

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Yeah , that's what I am planning to do now.
Btw , here is that BSOD information thread for some of the recent BSODs.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/175778-need-help-bsods.html]

Do a clean OS install and use 320.49 again. Checked that thread and realized that your BSOD's are caused by drivers only.
While using 314.xx, do you get these BSOD's?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Yes, GPU boost auto adjusts the voltage from a range of 0.987v - 1.150v normally. At more higher clocks, it goes past the slider in some cases.

Here some more info on kepler's voltage and overclocking - HARDOCP - Introduction to Overclocking - NVIDIA Kepler GeForce GTX 680 Overclocking Review

The 680 still relies on TDP for gpu boost to work. So i guess in Rishi's case, its normal.

Well I was refuting your statement that updating his drivers was not causing overvolting, which is not the case.

Hrishi

Do a clean OS install and use 320.49 again. Checked that thread and realized that your BSOD's are caused by drivers only.
While using 314.xx, do you get these BSOD's?
I have a secondary Hard Drive with me(2.5"). Will install Win7 on it , and 320.49 , will test for stability.

For the second part :
Caused By Driver : nvlddmkm.sys
Caused By Address : nvlddmkm.sys+280d9a
File Description : NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.22
Product Name : NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.22
Company : NVIDIA Corporation
File Version : 9.18.13.1422
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+71f00

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I have a secondary Hard Drive with me(2.5"). Will install Win7 on it , and 320.49 , will test for stability.

For the second part :

That means even 314.xx drivers are crashing too. It seems there is a conflict between drivers, or some system files are corrupted.
A complete OS re-install should fix this issue. If you still face these BSOD's after fresh install, then probably the gpu has undergone some damage during your stint with 320.18.

Hrishi

That means even 314.xx drivers are crashing too. It seems there is a conflict between drivers, or some system files are corrupted.
A complete OS re-install should fix this issue. If you still face these BSOD's after fresh install, then probably the gpu has undergone some damage during your stint with 320.18.
I hope it's probably the conflict or corrupted drivers.
If it's the later then in that situation , using Nvidia buggy driver will cost me a freaking 50k laptop. :(

Hrishi

No warranty left?

Warranty is left indeed.Probably 9 months of onsite and +2years additional warranty.
But not sure , if it's voided.
I have opened the laptop once , but managed to do that without tampering any warranty seal.They are intact. ( Did that just to clean the Lappy.)
I just don't trust Acer , when it comes to A.S.S. like warranty. Who knows , they might deny it.

scudmissile007

Confusingly Confused!
guys I have y500 and gtx460 in my desktop, I upgraded to 320.18 in both of then and faced issues like artifacts, bsod only in desktop not in y500. Later upgraded both of them to 320.49,now I haven't faced any issues with the upgrade.

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101
I had installed 320.18 , then i used to get random crashes in games , and also frequent lock ups when browsing. I used to get artifacts too , in TombRadier 2013. Later on I installed 320.49, and now also my PC freezes when browsing, and I still get artifacts ( same as in the pic of OP's post) . Not sure if those drivers have damaged my GPU.

d3p

PowerHouse
I'm using Nvidia Geforce 320.49 from last few weeks, since the day i got GTX650ti. I don't see any artifacts or any sort of symptoms of abnormal behavior of the card.

So do anyone forsee anything ?? The card is backed up with 3yrs of reliable Asus Warranty.

rock2702

Padawan
I'm using Nvidia Geforce 320.49 from last few weeks, since the day i got GTX650ti. I don't see any artifacts or any sort of symptoms of abnormal behavior of the card.

So do anyone forsee anything ?? The card is backed up with 3yrs of reliable Asus Warranty.

Did you sell off your 7970's?

Hrishi

I had installed 320.18 , then i used to get random crashes in games , and also frequent lock ups when browsing. I used to get artifacts too , in TombRadier 2013. Later on I installed 320.49, and now also my PC freezes when browsing, and I still get artifacts ( same as in the pic of OP's post) . Not sure if those drivers have damaged my GPU.

Maybe. Even I also assume the same for my card.
Have you tried clean removal of previous drivers , and a fresh installation of the most stable one ???

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
I have 320.18 driver installed and i was getting freezing problems in ME3 & Metro 2033 and BSOD's
I think it is because of this driver(I used to not have these problems earlier).
Should i update to 320.49 or roll back to 314.xx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom