nVidia Design Garage Thread!! Raytracing made easy!!

obhi

Right off the assembly line
The thing is current generation hardware can handle realtime GI (ala Monte Carlo raytracers, each frame may take upto 120ms and yes CUDA or GPGPU performance processors will be required), good for only tech demos as large scenes cannot be rendered that fast. Anyway, its not uncommon to see static scenes with pre-lit (baked) lightmaps even today so it will be quite sometime before games come up with realtime GI, though its not far off.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
This thread is dying, here's some boost:

*i.imgur.com/bzVtq.jpg

I'll post some more pics soon, leaving this running overnight gives great shots.

nVidia will release a new 64bit version soon with a lot more textures and jets/cars etc:
Design Garage for Quadro

anthony870

Hi all. New to this forum due to this thread and not sure if this is the proper place to post this. I am having trouble finding any information about this program due to how overlooked it is. I just came across this program today and have been working most of the day at trying to get it to run. With much searching through the internet i have turned up no answer and many failed attempts. My problem is that when I start this program it opens up and sits on the splash screen then an error pops up saying the exe has stopped working. I will list my system specs below. I have tried some stuff i have found like making a profile in nvidia control panel and setting the cuda to a specific graphics card, disabling my 8800gt in the device manager, reinstalling nvidia drivers, and even reinstalling the program. I have also tried a handful of compatibility mode settings. And so far none have been successful. So here I am looking for help from a few that I have seen have gotten it working. Appreciate any help you can give.

My Specs

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel i5 760 (overclocked to 4.0ghz)
16gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz Ram (4x 4gb)
MSI Big Bang Fuzion mobo
Nvidia gtx 460 (Palif 2gb ram and stock overclocked but dont remember to what) - Running a 24" Sansui LED HDTV plugged in HDMI port
Nvidia 8800GT physx card (512gb ram) - Running a 24" Hisense HDTV plugged in with DVI to HDMI cable

Both monitors are at 1080P res. Not sure if that matters

EDIT: Just realized it is creating a "caches" folder on my desktop when I try to run it but the folder is empty.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
remove the 8800GT and the monitor attached to it.

Try running the app with only GTX 460 and one monitor.

anthony870

Thanks for the reply. I did not actually open the case up and take out the card but i did go into the device manager and disable the 8800 which should be the same and that had now effect. also since the other monitor is connected to the 8800, once it was disabled it also disconnected monitor.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
disabling a gfx card from device manager/bios ( compared to physically removing it ) may sound like the same but actually sometime this can cause issues with certain configs - so if you are expereince such issues it's advised to remve the 8800 you have and test - there's no harm in testing with the 8800 physically removed, right ?? so give it a try.

anthony870

oh. ok. i have always thought they were one in the same. but i have now completely removed the 8800 and the second display and still no luck. still stays on splash screen and then throws up error "exe has stopped working." I will try downgrading my nvidia driver this weekend (if i dont get to it sooner) to see if this helps. if you know of anything else that may cause this issue please let me know.

EDIT:

Well i had nothing better to do tonight so i decided to go ahead and downgrade it tonight. i am now running version 296.10 of nvidia drivers and the program stated no problem. still have both cards and monitors hooked up also. thanks much for your help. now to start playing with some raytracing.

Here are a couple i did just real quick.

273107_521149511235303_1758081728_o.jpg

209981_521156064567981_2123251863_o.jpg

second one doesnt look as good as the first but still playing around with it.

and last one for tonight

335876_521170574566530_502639221_o.jpg

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
nice to know that you have solved the issue by yourself. how much time it took to render those images ??

anthony870

I dont think i let it render any longer then 30 min. if that. the rendering did get my 460 up to 79C for the temp so i didnt want to let it run much longer. but they came out not too bad i think.

I am still having a little crashing problem when changing between scenes and cars. but i remember reading something about that when searching for my other problem so i just gotta look for that info again.

Top Bottom