nVidia Design Garage Thread!! Raytracing made easy!!

tkin

Back to school!!
Hi guys, today I'm presenting to you a much overlooked application that shows us the features of raytracing.

nVidia Design Garage

In Design Garage, you’ll be able to interact with and create incredibly photo-realistic images of some of the fastest and most exclusive vehicles on the road. Using the immense processing power of NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 400/GTX500 Series of GPUs, the exotic vehicles in Design Garage are brought to life through Ray Tracing, a rendering technique usually reserved for Hollywood blockbusters that simulates how light reflects, refracts, and illuminates a 3D scene.
Design Garage exclusively uses NVIDIA’s CUDA architecture for rendering and performs all of its computations on the GPU. The highly realistic models used within Design Garage are polygonal meshes, with assembled scenes totaling near 2 million polygons. Make sure you tweak the direction of the sun and explore the various vehicle colors available to create the photo-realistic image of your personal dream car.
Technical Notes:
• NVIDIA’s OptiX ray tracing engine and SceniX scene management engine are combined to generate the photo realistic images you see.
• Optix-based renderer running on the CUDA architecture (on the GeForce GPU) physically simulates how light interacts with 3D models. This process creates much more realistic-looking images than traditional rasterization.
• Creating rich, photo-realistic images requires simulation of physically correct global illumination and accurate reflections. This is an incredibly computationally intensive task that the NVIDIA GeForce GPUs are uniquely capable of processing.

System Requirements:
Win Vista and Win 7
A GTX200/GTX400/GTX500 GPU (Min 896 memory, 1.5GB for HD resolution)

Download Link: NVIDIA Cool Stuff

How to use:
1. Start the software, it'll look pixelated, but don't worry, thats how its supposed to look at first.
2. Click on HQ on top right corner to disable HQ mode for now.
3. Use controls on top to select scenery and customize.
4. Click on HQ again to turn on HQ.
5. Let it render for sometime, pixel artifacts will slowly disappear as rays are traced and drawn on the screen.
6. After you think it looks good enough take a screenshot and post here.

Notes:
~The software only renders when in focus, so you can do it overnight or do it while listening to music. The green icon on bottom right of app lights up when its rendering, else its goes gray.
~The software never stops rendering, its an infinite algo, more you render, more detailed the image becomes, I'd say about 1hr of rendering on my card @ 1024x768 looks good enough.
~Overnight runs under right settings looks beyond real
~Be careful with your mouse, if you even click the screen it will start rendering from scratch, so an overnight render might go to waste. So make sure to take the screenshot before doing anything else.
~App may crash with sli or msi afterburner in background, you may need to disable them.

Important: This app is very stressful, while not as much as furmark this app stresses both vram as well as gpu core, very much like a game, so passing stress with this is as same as passing multiple stresses with crysis, and it draws a pretty picture while at it, very recommended for testing your card and oc.

Sample Pics Rendered by me:

3 hrs:
*i.imgur.com/gJpPT.jpg

2 hrs:
*i.imgur.com/I1OUH.jpg

So, show us what your gpu can do, post sample pics here.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
the porsche looks awesome!!!

gloss gloss, and even more gloss!!!
Yeah, actually the reflection and gloss can be tweaked, so can be the refraction(glass) as well as color, I overdid it :p

The customization features are overwhelming, you can customize everything, and I do mean everything.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
omg, the porsche and roads look awesome.. near perfect real road...... Its a benchmark.. but Does any game looks so damn good and real ????

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
omg, the porsche and roads look awesome.. near perfect real road...... Its a benchmark.. but Does any game looks so damn good and real ????
Its not exactly a benchmark, more like a tech demo, the technology is called raytracing, its the same tech pixar and dreamworks and many other studios use for animation, and you know how lifelike their animations can be.

Now the purpose of this demo is to show nvidia gpu's processing power, a cpu like my 2600k would take a lot of time to generate the images, but gpus with their ability to process massive amount of data in parallel gets the job done in about 30min-1hr. Soon we will have real time raytracing.

Read more:
Ray tracing (graphics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

And no, no game looks this real or will look this real in a few years.

For eg: Look at this image, doesn't it look real?

*fuzzyworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/computer-ray-tracing.jpg

Last edited:
OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
Raytracing, looks good, but very demanding, very.
Not that much, I mean ok, not real time, but GTX580 sli can run that very fast, the first pic that I showed was done in 3hrs, the sli will do it in an hour or so, faster for quad sli.

PS: Due to crippling of floating point operation on fermi fps is not that good, but 4 teslas could pull this off in real time.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
pretty much like EPIC when they showcased DX11 on UE3, and then said it required 3xGTX580's to run it.

Top Bottom