ntfs conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magneticme200

In the zone
guys i want to convert my c: drive (boot drive) from ntfs to fat32...
is thre any way...i dnt want to format it..
also...tell me wat are the pros and cons of both the formats.??

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
:shock: Just stick with NTFS unless you are using Win98 or older.!FAT32 won't support file transfers over 4 GB [Goodbye DVD movies.!], hard drives over 137 GB and isn't half as feature rich as NTFS.And there is no way I am aware of to do so without formatting the drive or using Partition Magic.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
NTFS is a lot better. FAT32 doesn't support files bigger than 4GB.

Have a look at this: *www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
Compare NTFS5 with the rest........

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Correct
And if you need Win98 for your PC, consider installing it in Virtual Machine.

OP
M

magneticme200

In the zone
ok...how do i convert my ntfs partition to ntfs5???
can i do that without formattin my data.??
also what is the way to install win98 with virtual machine..?
coz i hv some sftwrs that only run on win98 like tally4.5...

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok...how do i convert my ntfs partition to ntfs5???
can i do that without formattin my data.??
also what is the way to install win98 with virtual machine..?
coz i hv some sftwrs that only run on win98 like tally4.5...

If you had formatted your PC using Windows XP CD, you are on NTFS5 already. And if you want to use Tally 4.5, I'll suggest you to download and install DOSBox. It is available here: *www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

For installing Windows 98 on virtual machine, you need to download & install Microsoft Virtual Machine 2007 (Available Here) and must have the Windows 98 CD........

OP
M

magneticme200

In the zone
If you had formatted your PC using Windows XP CD, you are on NTFS5 already. And if you want to use Tally 4.5, I'll suggest you to download and install DOSBox. It is available here: *www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

For installing Windows 98 on virtual machine, you need to download & install Microsoft Virtual Machine 2007 (Available Here) and must have the Windows 98 CD........

the link u gave is alright...bt the versions available of dosbox in thre aren't any in english....
i want one in english...

why you want to run tally 4.5?
Upgrade!!
9 is out

actually bro some of my data is in tally 4.5 format...and i dnt knw how to get it converted to new format..
also thre is lan in my factory....and i hv some very old pcs thre which have only win98 installed...
and those pcs are used for data backup...
so i can't upgrade to new versions that very easily..!!

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
the link u gave is alright...bt the versions available of dosbox in thre aren't any in english....
i want one in english...
Click here you'll get the English version........ *prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe?download

And BTW the one which is at the top Windows is the English language version on that page.

OP
M

magneticme200

In the zone
Click here you'll get the English version........ *prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe?download

And BTW the one which is at the top Windows is the English language version on that page.

i have dosbox now bro...bt hw do i run tally 4.5 with it now??
pls explain, if u can..?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok..........I had lost this thread. Sorry for the delay.

1) Copy your Tally 4.5 files to a folder. Let me assume C:\tally
2) Now start DOSBox.
3) You'll see that your prompt is at Z:\. Now type mount c c:\tally. With this, your c:\tally drive will act as your C: in DOSBox.
4) Now go to C: and start your program.

Hope this helps you out.......

Edit: Go here to learn more about using DOSBox. C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72 and open README.txt

karina_got_it

Be urself--->
my prob is exactly opposite of this.. i have made my bootable partition as fat32. now i want to convert it into NTFS without losing my xp installation.
is there any way for that. mine is SATA hard disk

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
my prob is exactly opposite of this.. i have made my bootable partition as fat32. now i want to convert it into NTFS without losing my xp installation.
is there any way for that. mine is SATA hard disk

1) Open Command prompt.....
2) Type this..... convert c: /fs:ntfs
This will convert C: drive to NTFS on the next restart.........

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^Right.Use convert c: /fs:ntfs to convert c . The windows won't be able to convert partition to ntfs when windows is still running. So it will ask you to provide permission to do that at next reboot. Just grant the permission and at the next reboot you would get your drive converted to ntfs

arun77574

Broken In
You can convert a FAT32 partition to NTFS without formatting but, no way from NTFS to FAT32 without formatting. Partition coversion is only forward compatible and not backward compatible.

Besides why do u wish to go for FAT32? NTFS is far far better than it. Its more secured and fast, supports more memory allocation than FAT32.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ We can convert NTFS to FAT32 using Paragon Partition Manager or Norton Partition Magic but whats the need of doing so? NTFS is better......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom