not able to configure gtalk on ubuntu 7.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

mak1012

Journeyman
hey frinds i'm not able to configure gtalk on gaim i have downloaded pidgin .tar file but dont how to install it please help me...

faraaz

Evil Genius
Why did you download the tar?? Just use the apt-get utility from the command line or the Add/Remove program from the Applications menu.

Hang on, you do have internet on your Ubuntu machine, don't you?? If you don't its a bit hard to install programs.

Here, try out www.getdeb.net ... it lets you download .deb files just like .exe files for Windows. There should be one for Pidgin on that site. See if that works. But most likely there will be dependency issues.

However, as far as the tar file you downloaded, here's the procedure.

Extract the file to its folder...lets say /home/pidgin
Then navigate to that folder...lets say cd /home/pidgin
Then run the following commands:

./configure
make
make install

This is assuming that you have all dependencies for this program and that you have the compiler and build-essential tools installed on your Ubuntu computer.

If you are confused about what I just said, please check out ubuntuguide.com ... They have excellent guides for newbies about how to install software in Ubuntu etc. That's what I used...

OP
mak1012

mak1012

Journeyman
faraaz said:
Why did you download the tar?? Just use the apt-get utility from the command line or the Add/Remove program from the Applications menu.

Hang on, you do have internet on your Ubuntu machine, don't you?? If you don't its a bit hard to install programs.
i have net but not unlimited.

This is assuming that you have all dependencies for this program and that you have the compiler and build-essential tools installed on your Ubuntu computer.
its really not good.... why dont they give all the things in one package...

faraaz

Evil Genius
That's the way Linux works...and honestly, once you understand how the system works, you will never want to go back to the slap-dash way of doing things in Windows with all those registry nightmares and all...

Anyway, as for your problem, Pidgin isn't a HUGE download...should be like 10 MB max.

Just go to Add/Remove Programs in the Applications menu and then type Pidgin in the search box. Click and select Apply. That's it...the app gets installed.

It may seem very awkward way of installing things, but this is the safest way without all the problems of Windows...

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Except that pidgin is not in the default repos! You should have gaim installed. Use that.

mediator

Technomancer
*www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=24073

faraaz said:
./configure
make
make install

Thats the normal procedure, but sometimes things are given differently in the README file like executin a shell script in case of google earth and java that used to be earlier!

faraaz

Evil Genius
Its not?? It comes up when I do apt-cache search pidgin...maybe because I have so many third party repositories enabled...

And yes, mediator is right, you need to have a look at any documentation that is bundled with the application because it may need some special configuration etc.

PS: For getting custom apps, check out the backports & repositories sub-forum on the Ubuntuforums.org website. It is highly recommended to always install from repos.

OP
mak1012

mak1012

Journeyman
faraaz said:
Anyway, as for your problem, Pidgin isn't a HUGE download...should be like 10 MB max.

Just go to Add/Remove Programs in the Applications menu and then type Pidgin in the search box. Click and select Apply. That's it...the app gets installed.
i got you but i'm getting one problem here when i search for pidgin in add/remove it shows there is no application...can i install from terminal.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Hmm,

Download #1:
Code:
*www.getdeb.net/download.php?release=1307&fpos=1

Install the above after download.

Download #2:
Code:
*www.getdeb.net/download.php?release=1307&fpos=0

Install this next.

There you go, a cute little bird face in your Applications > Internet

OP
mak1012

mak1012

Journeyman
QwertyManiac said:
Hmm,

Download #1:
Code:
*www.getdeb.net/download.php?release=1307&fpos=1

Install the above after download.

Download #2:
Code:
*www.getdeb.net/download.php?release=1307&fpos=0

Install this next.

There you go, a cute little bird face in your Applications > Internet

i downloaded the first and second after installing the first...i'm not able to install second its giving me this error...

Error Dependency is not satisfiable: libsilc-1.0-2

praka123

left this forum longback
u got ur /etc/apt/sources.list entries not uncommented(remove the hash "#" before the lines with universe,multiverse,security etc except deb-src) for universe and multiverse repo may be.do look at
*ubuntuguide.org for details on /etc/apt/sources.list
OR
some problemo with repository may be.u can download the package from ubuntu repo as follows:
*package.ubuntu.com/packagename
as u got feisty(assumes):download below package and install manually(it will be a problem if another depndncy pops up :? )
install using gdebi(double click install) or use terminal "cd" into the dir where u downloaded below package and install as "sudo dpkg -i pckgname.deb" format
*mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/s/silc-toolkit/libsilc-1.0-2_0.9.12-6_i386.deb
^after installing above package,try installing pidgin again.

then make sure no package is broken by in terminal : "sudo apt-get install -f"
terminal can be opened by right clicking on empty desktop>open terminal or via menu Applications>accsries>terminal.I hope u know basics of terminal usage.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
mak1012 - Ok, no need to panic on that. Start up your Terminal and type:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -f
Then again retry installing the file which you couldn't. All'd go well. :)

OP
mak1012

mak1012

Journeyman
QwertyManiac said:
mak1012 - Ok, no need to panic on that. Start up your Terminal and type:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -f
Then again retry installing the file which you couldn't. All'd go well. :)

boss icant download file again and again i have limited download account, if i downloaded once more then i have to be one day without net coz per day i can surf or download only 15mb.

praka123

left this forum longback
*mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/s/silc-toolkit/libsilc-1.0-2_0.9.12-6_i386.deb
^^^then download above package(few kBs) and install.it solves @least pidgin issue.if any error pops up.do a "sudo dpkg --configure -a" will do.
also install ibsilc-1.0-2_0.9.12-6_i386.deb first.it may not create problems as the only dependency it got is libc6 which is already installed.

OP
mak1012

mak1012

Journeyman
got solution i downloaded 'libsilc-1.0-2' which was creating problm now i can chat on gtalk. thanx a lot guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom