Norton Internet Security 2011 + MalwareBytes ?

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
Hey guys i am currently using NIS 2011 since their release ..
Yup they give a lot of false positive but their detection rated are higher too .. and they gave their policy of memory hog !
However i am using that for now ...

I also remember Think Digit magazine -> norton 360 was the editors pick

Got my Win7 Shunted suddenly 2 times ... and i repaired it with the installation DVD

So what do u think the problem was ?? any malware activity that swept away the system files ??
Should i have more support ??
I ran Malwarebytes and found 2 risks ..

So what do u recommmend ???

Any other security suite or some other advice plz ??

System specs :

CPU Type : QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)

Motherboard Name : Intel Montpelier DQ35MP (1 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)

(I mean 4gb RAM onboard )

Motherboard Chipset : Intel Bearlake Q35

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB)

CA50

Cyborg Agent
Have you tried AIS, I am using AIS + SSD (spybot search and destroy), and i feel these are doing their jobs well. AIS scanning speed is blazing fast these days and it is also light on system. give it a try

gameranand

Living to Play
You should use a good firewall for sure. Comodo is recommended. I use Comodo Firewall + Avira Free edition and didn't faced any problem for a long time.

OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
Too much resource hungry and a lot of false alarms. Need I say more.

resource hungry ??
I think norton gave away their policy or memory hog long back
Look here ...

AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Welcome to AV-Comparatives.org

I agree they have a plenty of false positive !!

saswat23

Human Spambot
i agree with gameranand's suggestion. Its good. Go for avira/AVG free edition. Its light on system unlike Norton. You can also try a new antivirus named VIPRE, its even lighter than avira and scan rates are really good like Quick Heal and AVG.

OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
i agree with gameranand's suggestion. Its good. Go for avira/AVG free edition. Its light on system unlike Norton. You can also try a new antivirus named VIPRE, its even lighter than avira and scan rates are really good like Quick Heal and AVG.

Are u sure still norton products are a memory hog ?

When checked with av comparatives they say that it is one of the lighter antiviruses

would like to have more discussions on this topic

gameranand

Living to Play
TheMost said:
Are u sure still norton products are a memory hog ?

When checked with av comparatives they say that it is one of the lighter antiviruses

would like to have more discussions on this topic
Alright. Check your RAM usage going for AV now and then uninstall it and install Avira and tell me. Is that OK for you???
Bro Comodo+Avira is one of the best combination for home usage. Let me tell you one thing about Avira that it rarely and I mean rarely gives you any false positive at all.

OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
Alright. Check your RAM usage going for AV now and then uninstall it and install Avira and tell me. Is that OK for you???
Bro Comodo+Avira is one of the best combination for home usage. Let me tell you one thing about Avira that it rarely and I mean rarely gives you any false positive at all.

brother now i switched to vipre .
Got good comments in the net ...
What do u think bro ??

gameranand

Living to Play
The Most said:
brother now i switched to vipre .
Got good comments in the net ...
What do u think bro ??
Never used that AV so can't comment on that AV. Whats the RAM usage anyway?? Also be sure to use a good Firewall very important.

OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
Never used that AV so can't comment on that AV. Whats the RAM usage anyway?? Also be sure to use a good Firewall very important.

Got good comments in the net so far - But it is not familiar
Not sure with the false positive!!

Google !

gameranand

Living to Play
If you are unsure then why not use tried and tested things. Why bother to use something new when you have best at your disposal free of cost and already tested by gazillions of people.

sygeek

Technomancer
If you can bear with the resource hog, then you can go with Norton 360 + Spybot search and destroy + Comodo Firewall. Else you might wanna replace norton with NOD32, I've heard from many people who've had good a experience with it.

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
SyGeek said:
If you can bear with the resource hog, then you can go with Norton 360 + Spybot search and destroy. Else you might wanna try NOD32 + SpyBot search and destroy, I've heard from many people who've had good a experience with it.
Seriously. Why the heck should he pay for anything when he can get better solution for free.
TheMost said:
Do u mean Avira free + Comodo gives better protection than Avira premium ??
Comodo is one of the best firewall and when combined with Avira it gives more than enough protection for a Home usage PC. Why are so willing to spend you money if can get the solution you need for free.

Top Bottom