Norton antivirus autoprotect disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtfan1

Right off the assembly line
I have norton 2004 (legit version) installed on my laptop {Windows xp sp2, mobile athlon 2800, 512 mb ram). On booting yesterday, the auto protect is disabled. The following error message pops up Error: "Norton AntiVirus 2004 has encountered an internal program error" (4002,517). Have tried everything suggested by the symantec support, to no avail. Only option left is uninstalling and reinstalling. I update virus definitions frequently. I have both spy bot 1.3 and ad-aware running on my system. What should I do?

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
Well, when my frd had the same problem he formatted it .. & solved it but for ur sake of ur information it is supposed to be a virus which keeps on disabling the firewall .....no matter how many times U turn it on!! .. but ur problem is somewat similar & different too ...

So i woud just suggest U to install some other gud Anti-Virus like PC-Cillin & try it scan ur system.... gud luck

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well thats The very much option left i suppose too....JUst REinstall it as Internal Problems occur due to some Unusual restarts or some files getting corrupted....This was the same problem that i faced earlier as well a healthy reinstall helped me out.....Guess it will do fo u for now as well.....Or try Kapersky AntiVirus Its pretty good Compared to Norton.... :D

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
uninstalling and reinstalling is definitely the option for you qtfan1

but just keep in mind ..
before u uninstall -> take backup of all your virus definitions
its in this folder -> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs ( correct me if im wrong )

after u uninstall
open start->run->regedit
delete all entries by the name of 'symantec' and 'norton'
i basically aim to completely eradicate symantec from the system
and then clean install the antivirus again

rohanbee

Padawan
This could be a virus which is dis-abling your norton. This happened to me once, hope you are regularly updating and scanning your system. Especially if you are surfing "AT RISK" sites :wink:

I think there is an option to do an online scan at symantec for such kind of viruses. check www.symantec.com

serendipiti

Journeyman
try this

go to administrative tools>services.Navigate to "Norton Anti Virus Auto Protect Service">Properties.In the "Recovery"tab,set the three options of the response to failed start service to"Restrart the service".Ensure that the service startup is set to Automatic.Save.Restart.I think this will solve your problem!

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
[offtopic]
isnt there a "y" at the end of serendipity
or is the "i" intended to be there
[/offtopic]

H

h4ck3r

Sorry for taking long to come here.

Well there are also some trojans that offer the facility of shutting down avg,norton kaspersky,zone alarm and also blackice.So yo pc may also may be hacked...if this was the case,wherein yo pc had this problem after u received a file from somebody in the internet...if u did not receive any files a day before or the day of the problem yo pc is safe from my view.
Fuck norton...Just use Stinger.exe ...Just google for stinger.exe which is exactly 893kb.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
qtfan1 said:
I have norton 2004 (legit version) installed on my laptop {Windows xp sp2, mobile athlon 2800, 512 mb ram). On booting yesterday, the auto protect is disabled. The following error message pops up Error: "Norton AntiVirus 2004 has encountered an internal program error" (4002,517). Have tried everything suggested by the symantec support, to no avail. Only option left is uninstalling and reinstalling. I update virus definitions frequently. I have both spy bot 1.3 and ad-aware running on my system. What should I do?

there must be a link by the ERROR # you're getting... click it it will open solution page directly to Symantec's web site...

if you messed (rename/move.. even changing their icon) with NAV's startmenu items then resore them back... NAV is PiA even with touching its start menu folders... in this case it runs its windows installer on every start-up... so if you, then better restore them back... and if you don't like them then hide tht folder.

if it solve the problem... then cool.. otherwise do these things...

disable system restore (if enabled)... backup your (note down) your activation key for NAV...

now>>

in MMC > services... look for NAV AutoProtect service... and set it to start-up type automatic.. reboot....

if this also doesn't solve problem then... type APPWIZ.CPL on run and uninstall NAV.... reboot.

delete all c:\program files\common files\symantec (only if NAV was only symantec product you had) created by NAV and c:\documents and settings\yourname\application data\symantec application data files...

now clean your registry with some good registry cleaner like RegSeeker... AceUtilities...

now.. check ya system for spyware by spyware blaster or spybot... if found kill them. .... reboot.

now install NAV from the CD... and activate it... just after activation run LiveUpdate...

if it works then.... congrats.... or report back here ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom