Non-Ubuntu users!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Hey guys,

Its a discussion, not a war or anti-Ubuntu topic.

I've seen a lot of Ubuntu related discussion here but never any other distros. Out of curiosity where are them?

I've experimented with Ubuntu/Debian long back just for the sake of it, thats all. Never used it regularly and probably never will.

So here it goes, How many of you don't use Ubuntu?

I'm on Fedora 8 x86_64. [..this is my comfort zone..]:)

Edit: Can't add the poll now as I've already submitted the thread and also I guess non-Linux users will simply vote in it just for the heck of it.

Last edited:

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
not many cos Ubuntu has a great great community+free shipit service.
It is more likely that your all problems will be solved if You use ubuntu and not to forget the general superiority of debian based distros.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
1. Debian based >>> Redhat Based / Slackware based

2. OS with Lesser Bugs / more hardware support / more community support are favoured in linux world.

So Ubuntu / Mint / Debian all the way :D

ps: I used Debian based Distros in most of my Linux Life. Tried Redhat based ones but was kocked of by bugged packages and support issues.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
The reason why I left Fedora was lack of apt-get and dependency problems. Again, its just personal opinion. And I agree to the fact that Ubuntu community is the most active of all.

Choices Differ...

You have the folowing (popular) catogaries of Linux based OSes:

1. Debian Based - debian, ubuntu, mint, gos, linspire/freespire, xandros, etc etc etc
they are known for their stability and reliability. Ubuntu is just the most popular of them all. And yes, ppl use them mainly because of the superior .deb packaging system.

2. Gentoo Based - gentoo, sabayon, etc.
these are for all types of computers, because they need you(not compulsary) to compile software before installing, due to which there will be better adaptation of the OS to the computer.

3. Red Hat Based - Fedora, RHEL, SuSE, Mandriva, etc, etc:
these are the second most popular type, also the oldest. Known for their signature RPM packaging, they have a huge user base in the US governmental offices. These are not as much used as the debians due to the RPM problems. But they are still popular.

4. Slackware based - vector, slackware, slax, etc
known for their legendary server use, slackware distros are good for low end hardware. Vector Linux is an excellent example why.

several derivatives have sub derivatives too, and this keeps us entertained.

each of these above families have their shortcommings, but the user base is mainly affected by the following:

eye-candy
security
GUI apps available
expandabiliy
stability
near by users(freinds, etc)

the security is almost the same, but the rest are responcible for the wide variety of users.

So yes, choices do differ and we are a happy family because of the same reason. In the linux world, we still have freedom of choice. I would not mind having a flame war within, because atleast this time, the battlefeild would be more level, and things only get intresting here.

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
infra_red_dude said:
The reason why I left Fedora was lack of apt-get and dependency problems. Again, its just personal opinion. And I agree to the fact that Ubuntu community is the most active of all.
Agree but what was the last version you used? I've seen Fedora since 5 and it has tremendously improved over the years(er.,, all the others have too).

What I mean is, I've rarely seen any dep issues since 2 years, and besides, you can use apt-get on it also. All the commands and functions are the same as in any other .deb distro. And the latest yum in 8 is so fast, I would say almost as apt-get.

And not to sound spiroylic, but Fedora 64 performs better than Ubuntu 64, I dunno how to say it, but 64bit users will know this. (those who've tried both)

Again, its a personal preference, heck., as long as its Linux :)

Hitboxx said:
Agree but what was the last version you used? I've seen Fedora since 5 and it has tremendously improved over the years(er.,, all the others have too).
What I mean is, I've rarely seen any dep issues since 2 years, and besides, you can use apt-get on it also. All the commands and functions are the same as in any other .deb distro. And the latest yum in 8 is so fast, I would say almost as apt-get.
do you mean that I should install my Fedora 8 DVD and not my Ubuntu 7.10 DVD? I could still give fedora a try before Hardy Heron comes...
Hitboxx said:
Again, its a personal preference, heck., as long as its Linux :)
right on point;)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Re: Choices Differ...

MetalheadGautham said:
Fedora, RHEL, SuSE, Mandriva, etc, etc:
these are the second most popular type, also the oldest.

Slackware is the oldest linux distribution still being maintained.Not Redhat.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware

Regards,
ray

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
MetalheadGautham said:
do you mean that I should install my Fedora 8 DVD and not my Ubuntu 7.10 DVD? I could still give fedora a try before Hardy Heron comes...
lol., Why not try them both for a few days? ;)

Both have their learning curves and you need an open unbiased mind to test them. Ubuntu definitely has an upfront out-of-the-box aura to it.

How do you think I stuck with Fedora? It wasn't my first distro and won't be the last. I've seen Ubuntu up close too and ironically I left it because of some hardware issues then, which Fedora handled with aplomb. I'm sure those issues are rectified now in Ubuntu.

Re: Choices Differ...

rayraven said:
Slackware is the oldest linux distribution still being maintained.Not Redhat.
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware
sorry bout that. forgot.
Hitboxx said:
lol., Why not try them both for a few days? ;)

Both have their learning curves and you need an open unbiased mind to test them. Ubuntu definitely has an upfront out-of-the-box aura to it.

How do you think I stuck with Fedora? It wasn't my first distro and won't be the last. I've seen Ubuntu up close too and ironically I left it because of some hardware issues then, which Fedora handled with aplomb. I'm sure those issues are rectified now in Ubuntu.
1. I can't keep reinstalling distros on my PC because its old, and has lots of sensitive data which I don't want damaged.

2. With 256 MB DDR 400 RAM, and P4 2.66 GHz with GMA 900, do you think either will work well?

3. Both have Gnome, so their learning curves are similar. So my FF experience will help.

3. Please see my question about the DVD drive in my Ubuntu thread :oops:

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
@Gautham

1. You trust an old PC with lots of sensitive data..? at the rate of hard drive failures these days?

2. I guess they should, processor part is ok, RAM is...ok too, not sure. Never know till you try

3. Not Gnome, I meant the day-to-day working, installing apps, maintaining files etc.

4(3). Posted there.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
My main reason of using ubuntu is their repositories. I mean they have EVERYTHING in their repos! I have to manually download and install a LOT of stuff on fedora, like java, checkgmail, virtualbox etc..

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Sunny1211993 said:
Offtoic:mad:metalheadgautham-just got fedora 8 with linux for you mag.
is it beter than mint 4.0??
do i install it??
It is better than Mint 4, but it won't be out-of-the-box like Mint and you need to still install codecs and plugins from the net repos.

Sunny1211993 said:
^^
in what aspects is it better?
Usual questions:

1. state system config
2. state type of internet connectivity(if any)
3. state level of experience with Linux
4. state perpose of the OS(the things you plan to do with it)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Last I used was Fedora 5. Then jumped to Ubuntu camp and haf stuck here primarily coz of the community and .deb packages. I'm now comfortable with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom