NOKIA: We Have a "Contingency Plan" if Windows Phone Fails

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Contingency Plan by Nokia? The title will make most laugh but not Nokia. Windows Phone didn't helped Nokia at all. Whereas other manufacturers launched half a dozen to more than 15 androids, Nokia launched 2 models and well.... 2 models only (at least here in India) to counter the Android Army. Trying to become Apple2 maybe. But sadly Apple is apple and Nokia is nokia. Nokia 610 came so late to the party (not launched in India yet) it didn't even got the left over. Only Nokia model that sold well is Nokia Lumia 900 LTE & Nokia Lumia 800 (international). This is the sole reason Nokia "has" a contingency plan.

*images.dailytech.com/nimage/tiles_2.jpg
And this is exactly how a homescreen shouldn't look like. It looks like a total mess. Had it been the main menu, one could have pulled out some odd excuse but the whole homescreen looks such congested this way. WTH !!!

source

And if RIM's BB10 OS fails, most likely it'll be bought by M$. Current rumors are M$ will buy RIM anyway cause RIM is Out of money. Out of customers. Out of market.

Sarath

iDota
@Sam the sentences have many mistakes.

I am awaiting the launch of Win8 phones to see what it brings to the table.

If the tablet and phone OS are well integrated along with some Win app compatibility then I think I will make the jump.

I have not much experience with WM7 but it looked very smooth and nice. In fact I was surprised that there could be a UI better than the iOS. Usability. But after seeing the list of restrictions, my brain erased every little detail regarding WM on it's own.

Eitherways, I don't see Nokia dying. It might stagnate but some thing surely will come up. After they are the only company along with Apple which is synonymous for quality and durability.

amjath

Human Spambot
Nokia: We Have a "Contingency Plan" if Windows Phone Fails
Everyone: *excited* What!!! What!!!
Nokia: Fire Stephen Elop!!

ROFL

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Mozilla Firefox OS will target the low end market... Android and iOS rule the highend market...

Windows Phone failed because it tried to be different... The only reason Steve Jobs had opted for a grid of icons for the iPhone interface, is because people are familiar with it... All desktop OSes have a grid... Most major smartphones at that time (Win Mobile 6, Palm OS) had a grid of icons...

Microsoft tried to do something different. But with so many arbitrary restrictions on the phone, and it being so different, it failed.

Nokia will move to Android in a few years...

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
But after seeing the list of restrictions, my brain erased every little detail regarding WM on it's own.

not just you. even Nokia fanboys went the Android route for this very reason.

Eitherways, I don't see Nokia dying. It might stagnate but some thing surely will come up. After they are the only company along with Apple which is synonymous for quality and durability.

M$ poured around 2B dollars into Nokia just to help it shift to WP. Now if Nokia starts to make Android based mobile, M$ will be pissed. Nokia has around 7B in cash reserve but that won't last long. They are loosing market faster than they been loosing with Symbian.
And they can't bet on any new or half developed platform. One more failure and it can be game over for Nokia.

by 2013 Mozilla will enter the Mobile-OS arena

this won't help. Jumping from a sinking ship to a new territory will sink Nokia faster. Mozilla OS can replace Symbain S40 at best, not the 15k+ range of mobile OS.

Nokia: We Have a "Contingency Plan" if Windows Phone Fails
Everyone: *excited* What!!! What!!!
Nokia: Fire Stephen Elop!!

ROFL

:)

Windows Phone failed because it tried to be different...

I don't think its the case. WP7 could have been a winner had it went against Android 2.0/2.1 but it went against a very mature and famous OS (credit to the ads & all) and the biggest problem WP had is the strict HW restriction. We all know highend mobiles never sell like cheap ones do.

Nokia can keep selling WP but they need to think about the 5-15k section. Thats the region bringing in most of the revenue (except Apple) and Nokia is almost unavailable in that region. Mobiles like Asha are simply thrashed by a el-cheapo Android like Galaxy Y. In the 10k section are C6-C7 that are again taking the beating from Sony's Mini & Music range.

Nokia doesn't need a Contingency Plan for WP. They need a Replacement Plan for their entire Symbian lineup.

Nokia will move to Android in a few years...
They better do it fast else it'll join the legendary PALM & RIM.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
This is kinda far fetched and has some very big issues in belivability - But could Boot to gecko be the contingency plan?:wink:

amjath

Human Spambot
Also there was a rumor that Samsung gonna take over Nokia but Samsung themselves denied it

noob

Cyborg Agent
I dont see any technical difference between WP and iPhone (I am not talking about the UI) & hence if i have a choice i will opt for iPhone.
Nokia IMO should have gone for WP + Android + Symbian phones..all at once. But looks like MS Agent Mr.Elop did not approved this :)

vds5344

Broken In
i don't feel wp would be able boost enough to make Nokia leader
SYMBIAN was killed but it still sells if Nokia make more advancements to meego and symbian it's get better! Fp 2 is great still the updates should be more frequent.

reniarahim1

Youngling
surprise surprise....

Android is Nokia's backup plan if WP8 fails, company exec says

In an interview aired on a Finnish TV, Risto Siilasmaa, a member of the Nokia board of directors, said that Android is the company's "backup plan" if Windows Phone 8 fails.

However, Siilasmaa also added that he is happy with how things are currently shaping up for Windows Phone 8 and switching to plan B probably won't be required. Microsoft and Nokia are betting on more features and less bugs to turn things in their favor.

Source ; gsmarena

abhidev

Human Spambot
Windows Phone failed because it tried to be different

IMO...WP haven't failed at all...its just better android phones with better h/w are available in the same price range...once WP8 mobile releases...it should pick up the pace in market

amjath

Human Spambot
Surprising :

Android is Nokia's backup plan if WP8 fails, company exec says - GSMArena.com news

surprise surprise....

Android is Nokia's backup plan if WP8 fails, company exec says

In an interview aired on a Finnish TV, Risto Siilasmaa, a member of the Nokia board of directors, said that Android is the company's "backup plan" if Windows Phone 8 fails.

However, Siilasmaa also added that he is happy with how things are currently shaping up for Windows Phone 8 and switching to plan B probably won't be required. Microsoft and Nokia are betting on more features and less bugs to turn things in their favor.

Source ; gsmarena

no no read the update

Top Bottom