Nokia N900, Xperia X10, Motorola Milestone !

OK last satuday I went to a Nokia Priority dealer, and he said that it will come tomorrow and there was a dummy model on the display. The next day when i went he said that it hase'nt come yet.

This is annoying, even in a backward country like bangladesh it was launched a month back and in india its yet to be released

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
N900 launch in India has been postponed to "early next week"

Hey Nikhil,

Where do u get this per day, per week classified, confidential information on Phone Releases. just do not speculate as you would be raising a lot of people's hopes just to dissapoint them later on.

With the way you are bringing news to this forum.One would have this kind of High level confidential information on Nokia Product release only if he was working in Nokia(That too a position like a Product Manager or India Sales incharge something of that sort...) or the CEO of Nokia India would be your close relative or something.

BTW it is a pity if it the N900 has been officialy launched in Bangladesh and still not in India. It is really a pity !! what can one say ? It happens only in India !!

nikhilpai

Techans
Hey Nikhil,

Where do u get this per day, per week classified, confidential information on Phone Releases. just do not speculate as you would be raising a lot of people's hopes just to dissapoint them later on.

With the way you are bringing news to this forum.One would have this kind of High level confidential information on Nokia Product release only if he was working in Nokia(That too a position like a Product Manager or India Sales incharge something of that sort...) or the CEO of Nokia India would be your close relative or something.

BTW it is a pity if it the N900 has been officialy launched in Bangladesh and still not in India. It is really a pity !! what can one say ? It happens only in India !!

Trust me on it. I am not just posting speculative information. It was supposed to be launched this week & has got postponed to next week.
Can't comment on the source though :p

S-C-R-E-W you indian nokia team. Should I take the risk of purchasing it form grey market? What is your personal suggestion?

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Is it really necessary to go after N900 at this point of time?

Given the rise of phones like Palm Pre, Moto Milestone, HTC Desire, HTC HD2, I see no reason in getting N900. I personally reviewed this phone and it's fat body can create irritation. While the OS is going to be dumped, MeeGo OS is still in infant stage and god knows whether Nokia will stick to it or not.

nikhilpai

Techans
The day I learned it has a resistive screen I lost all interest :oops:!

It has the best of all the resistive screens. But yes, still I agree capacitative would be better than the best resistive screen.

Given the rise of phones like Palm Pre, Moto Milestone, HTC Desire, HTC HD2, I see no reason in getting N900. I personally reviewed this phone and it's fat body can create irritation. While the OS is going to be dumped, MeeGo OS is still in infant stage and god knows whether Nokia will stick to it or not.

I think its a bit too late to buy the N900 now because:
1. The phone is reaching the end of its product life. It was announced late last year & is reaching India almost 6 months late. The next Meego phone should be out very soon.

2. If Nokia chooses not to upgrade the N900 to Meego then we would be stuck with an outdated OS very soon. Though I get the feeling that it would get an upgrade to Meego. But I wouldn't buy the phone till Nokia announces officially that N900 will get Meego upgrade.

3. Till date no option has been provided to use the phone in portrait mode. Using the phone in landscape mode at all times (except while using phone functions) can be a irritant.

4. There are still not too many apps being released for this platform as compared to Android.

So if I had to convert from Symbian to any other OS right now it would be Android 2.2. Though the next Meego handset from Nokia could be a game changer!

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
S-C-R-E-W you indian nokia team. Should I take the risk of purchasing it form grey market? What is your personal suggestion?
Why don't you try android?? Is N900 really worth the hype??? With Froyo, android would be a much better platform than the competition right now. Going for android would be a better option IMO.

+1
:))
Better check out the features yourself,
Nokia N900 - *here4mobile.in/?p=262
Xperia X2 - *here4mobile.in/?p=65
lol not again :p

It has the best of all the resistive screens. But yes, still I agree capacitative would be better than the best resistive screen.

I think its a bit too late to buy the N900 now because:
1. The phone is reaching the end of its product life. It was announced late last year & is reaching India almost 6 months late. The next Meego phone should be out very soon.

2. If Nokia chooses not to upgrade the N900 to Meego then we would be stuck with an outdated OS very soon. Though I get the feeling that it would get an upgrade to Meego. But I wouldn't buy the phone till Nokia announces officially that N900 will get Meego upgrade.

3. Till date no option has been provided to use the phone in portrait mode. Using the phone in landscape mode at all times (except while using phone functions) can be a irritant.

4. There are still not too many apps being released for this platform as compared to Android.

So if I had to convert from Symbian to any other OS right now it would be Android 2.2. Though the next Meego handset from Nokia could be a game changer!
TRUE!!!! Unfortunately India is still THE dump yard of all EOL products as usual. Be it iPhone, N900, 3G, You name it ;) we ain't got it( in time that is)

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
But guys N900 the way it is right now is also too good a phone to just snub.

I mean it is just not the OS which is everything in a mobile phone, The Hardware, the facilities that it gives also means a world right ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
But guys N900 the way it is right now is also too good a phone to just snub.

I mean it is just not the OS which is everything in a mobile phone, The Hardware, the facilities that it gives also means a world right ?

wrong!

The OS looks really good.

The device looks hot when it is in the hands of someone else. once you start using it, you will first feel the weight and then you will feel the blocky design. Finally, you hate why nokia couldn't make it slimmer for one handed operation. You just can't send a message using one hand. 5mm-6mm thinner and it would've been great.

also, the processing power of N900 is now powering midrange phones. The phones like X10, desire, N1, HD2, iphone 3GS are using much better h/w.

so, all in all, N900 is fast becoming yesterday's phone. And hell, there is no need to release this phone in India. Atleast Nokia can save shipping costs.

wrong!

The OS looks really good.

The device looks hot when it is in the hands of someone else. once you start using it, you will first feel the weight and then you will feel the blocky design. Finally, you hate why nokia couldn't make it slimmer for one handed operation. You just can't send a message using one hand. 5mm-6mm thinner and it would've been great.

also, the processing power of N900 is now powering midrange phones. The phones like X10, desire, N1, HD2, iphone 3GS are using much better h/w.

so, all in all, N900 is fast becoming yesterday's phone. And hell, there is no need to release this phone in India. Atleast Nokia can save shipping costs.

You can't type fast with a single hand, and the quwerty keypad is designed to type messages fast. There is no point of using numeric keypad for message purpose. With something like N900 you can do lot of browsing and the best thing you can chat regularly with your friends using skype. Without alphanumeric keypad, browsing and chatting is virtually impossible.

I know it is slightly overweight, but that it would hardly make any difference. N900 was designed for high end multimedia and gaming operation. For that you need a bigger screen, that will subsequently increase the size of the handset. You would'nt like something of a matchbox's size to do this kind of high end operation.

More than OS, its the hardware platform that turns me on about this device. Afterall Maemo is an opensource so you can adjust it according to your need. But its the processor and the 3-D Gaming Graphic that is unique in this device. I think after N95, N900 is the first device to have 3-D Graphic

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
You can't type fast with a single hand, and the quwerty keypad is designed to type messages fast. There is no point of using numeric keypad for message purpose. With something like N900 you can do lot of browsing and the best thing you can chat regularly with your friends using skype. Without alphanumeric keypad, browsing and chatting is virtually impossible.

I know it is slightly overweight, but that it would hardly make any difference. N900 was designed for high end multimedia and gaming operation. For that you need a bigger screen, that will subsequently increase the size of the handset. You would'nt like something of a matchbox's size to do this kind of high end operation.

More than OS, its the hardware platform that turns me on about this device. Afterall Maemo is an opensource so you can adjust it according to your need. But its the processor and the 3-D Gaming Graphic that is unique in this device. I think after N95, N900 is the first device to have 3-D Graphic

I dont know about N900 being made a device only for Multimedia and High-End Gaming. But yes as everyone would know by now it is a pocket computer with Phone features and not a phone which can behave like a computer.

It is a Computer Disguised as a Phone.

And yes on the Hardware part I guess I couldnt agree more with @maverick786us.

red dragon

Master troll
The hardware is really nothing to write home about,there are many phones available nowadays with much better hardware and lesser bulk,regarding screen x10 and hd2 are light years ahead.At present the multimedia capabilities and your so called high end operation of N900 is mediocre at best when you compare it with other biggies like desire or hd2 or even 3gs for that matter.Finally,it is Nokia,probably the worst phone manufacturer at present,first they screw up symbian and now maemo.I sincerely hope it never gets officially released in India,so that many nokia loyalist can save their hard earned money on this junk.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I really don't understand what "hardware" are people talking about here? I don't see anything even coming close to the high end phones now a days, let alone having "extraordinary" hardware :/

red dragon

Master troll
I dont know about N900 being made a device only for Multimedia and High-End Gaming. But yes as everyone would know by now it is a pocket computer with Phone features and not a phone which can behave like a computer.

It is a Computer Disguised as a Phone.

And yes on the Hardware part I guess I couldnt agree more with @maverick786us.
Pocket computer!!High end gaming!!!Computer disguised as phone!!!WTF!Is it some sort of joke or are you so stupid to take commercials seriously?I got hold of an n900 this weekend,played with it for a couple of days and I can tell you one thing for sure,there is nothing special about it.

OP
A

augustya

Journeyman
Pocket computer!!High end gaming!!!Computer disguised as phone!!!WTF!Is it some sort of joke or are you so stupid to take commercials seriously?I got hold of an n900 this weekend,played with it for a couple of days and I can tell you one thing for sure,there is nothing special about it.

It is something like, even if a Gem is given to a Moron he would still not realize,understand its true potential.

So if you dont have the brains or the intelligence to explore all the features in a gadget maybe you should not be wasting your's and everyone's time here.

Just to give an example here which phone have you come across which gives u the freedom to have 30 applications running all at the same time and switch between them without having to close any of them...

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
OK if it is priced with N97mini then its worth.... thats around 22k

It will have a comparable competition with SE Vivaz, HTC Hero/Legend

30 application...hmm seems like Omnia HD is getting a competitor
check this *www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieSR97Ar8Ew&feature=player_embedded*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/<object width=

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
It is something like, even if a Gem is given to a Moron he would still not realize,understand its true potential.

So if you dont have the brains or the intelligence to explore all the features in a gadget maybe you should not be wasting your's and everyone's time here.

Just to give an example here which phone have you come across which gives u the freedom to have 30 applications running all at the same time and switch between them without having to close any of them...

stop behaving like a kid.
If you think N900 with A8 600 MHz is a computer in a pocket? does it mean that snapdragon powered devices are supercomputer clusters in a pocket?
Even on my HTC Legend, I have a dozen apps running many times and do multitasking but when or earth will you keep 30 apps running. That would drain a battery before you finish listening to a music album.

And please oh please. Stop this open source, multitasking ****. coz Android is as open source as Maemo and it's easier to write apps for android thanks to Java support. And Android does multitasking. Also, please read the manuals. Cortex A8 is history. A9, Qualcomm Snapdragon (maybe Tegra 2) is the future!

let me make it lot more simpler for you:

*www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=2917&idPhone2=3077

HTC Desire has

bigger display
double the RAM
faster processor
7mm thinner and 50gms lighter
multitouch capacitive touch display
landscape and portrait operation

More comparisons to come!

Top Bottom