Nokia N9 from Finland

WolVish

Broken In
Hi Guys,

Ever since the N9 showed up in the news, I fell in love with it. Unfortunately it was heavily priced that time (around 32000k) so didn't want to buy it. I believed that someday it'll be released in India, but Nokia thought otherwise. It's not even released in the US.

So, coming to the point, One of my friends is in Finland right now, he'll be coming home this weekend and I am planning to buy that beauty. Though it shares similar looks to Lumia 800 it's got a different CPU and GPU, front cam and a slightly bigger screen and a simple and great looking OS.

Can you guys help me out with the decision? Currently I have a Moto Defy which is 9 months old and I am really bored with it and Android in general. Should I buy the N9 if it's around 20k-25k? What kind of things should I be looking for in it?

I can live with the limited apps and a single core proccy (for atleast 1.5-2 years). Warranty is a concern but having this phone in hands is worth that risk I guess. :eek:hyeah:

Lumia 800 vs. N9

Nokia N9 vs. Nokia Lumia 800 - GSMArena.com

Review:
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQM8vVjuE4&feature=player_embedded

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
AVOID. It is a dead platform & don't go by looks. for now you can say that you'll live with limited apps but will regret the decision soon.

OP
WolVish

WolVish

Broken In
Well, Nokia has promised updates for one year I guess and 3rd party support for N9 is growing by the day. It's also outselling the WPs by 4 to 1. I don't think that's a bad sign.. Besides, the current update PR 1.2 has brought so many improvements. Flash support is also there, so is the video calling. :)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
You call Video call support a feature? phones costing half its price have that.
N9 outsells WP to 4 to 1? Please provide links of official sites where this is mentioned. Seriously I havent heard even heard 10 people till date buy a N9.
Another Nokia N9 vs Nokia Lumia 800 review/observations : My Nokia Blog

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Nokias Dead..Man there App support is the worst.You'll have a plain Vanila ice cream with just little nuts

OP
WolVish

WolVish

Broken In
You call Video call support a feature? phones costing half its price have that.

That's correct. But both Windows phones from Nokia don't have front CAMs. Only the announced Lumia 900 has it.

N9 outsells WP to 4 to 1? Please provide links of official sites where this is mentioned. Seriously I haven't heard even heard 10 people till date buy a N9.
Another Nokia N9 vs Nokia Lumia 800 review/observations : My Nokia Blog

4 to 1 is December stats I guess. 3 to 1 is Feb stats. With all the money Windows and Nokia can spend on Marketing for Lumias this is not surprising. Also N9 didn't even make it to UK or US or even India, so most of the people didn't want to buy a Phone off ebay/Amazon without warranty, not to mention the price.. :)

Nokia N9 Outselling Lumia?

Nokias Dead..Man there App support is the worst.You'll have a plain Vanila ice cream with just little nuts

LOL. After using my Moto DEFY for 9 months, I'm bored with all the tweaking/waiting for the next OS from the Company/Devs. I just want a phone which has good looks, good display, good connectivity and basic Apps. Certainly Lumia is refreshing, but I find the following Cons in it..

Cons in Lumia:

1. Still 512 MB RAM
2. No front CAM yet
3. Needs Zune file transfer software
4. No Bluetooth File transfer to other mobiles
5. No NFC yet

Where as N9 has got 1 GB RAM, front CAM, drag drop transfers, NFC is there, has better battery life.

Only CONS are
1. Dead OS
2. Limited Apps
3. No Warranty in India

Just a matter of personal preference :)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
WolVish said:
That's correct. But both Windows
phones from Nokia don't have front
CAMs. Only the announced Lumia 900
has it.
you didnt consider the Lumia. I didnt know you were only comparing it with the Lumia.

The link you posted has some valid points but it seemed like a rewrite of another link posted at beginning of article
Communities Dominate Brands: How Many Lumia Sales? As Nokia (and Microsoft) ashamed to reveal number, lets count - and compare to N9 MeeGo sales

if those numbers are to be beleived then the N9 is doing well. But again I am on lookout for a post from Nokias own website.
The phone is selling good. But its ignored by Nokia themselves. Also there is the lack of apps.

Last edited:
OP
WolVish

WolVish

Broken In
Nokia is ditching MeeGo because of the pressure from M$. They both need a good stand in Mobile market and hell Samsung Omnia has got decent specs for a a cheaper price than Lumia 800. Camera, 8 GB extra memory and stunning looks cost 8 thousand rupees more than Omnia W.

Whereas N9 has got NFC, a better GPU, Double the RAM, Slightly better camera, Slightly bigger screen, anti glare polarizer under the hood..

Samsung Omnia W I8350 vs. Nokia Lumia 800 - GSMArena.com

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Nokia inked a deal with MS for only making windows phones. MeeGo would have been a good way to go but Nokia chose against it. No pressure from MS to be honest.

R2K

In the Zone
Nokia is ditching MeeGo because of the pressure from M$. They both need a good stand in Mobile market and hell Samsung Omnia has got decent specs for a a cheaper price than Lumia 800. Camera, 8 GB extra memory and stunning looks cost 8 thousand rupees more than Omnia W.

Whereas N9 has got NFC, a better GPU, Double the RAM, Slightly better camera, Slightly bigger screen, anti glare polarizer under the hood..

Samsung Omnia W I8350 vs. Nokia Lumia 800 - GSMArena.com

And you do realize the fact that all those powerful hardware is gonna be less than 'useless' with a limited support OS that comes with it ?:|

OP
WolVish

WolVish

Broken In
And you do realize the fact that all those powerful hardware is gonna be less than 'useless' with a limited support OS that comes with it ?:|

Yes. That's really sad.. But still, the phone is worth the money I guess.. We always have the support of third party developers.. :-D

Nokia inked a deal with MS for only making windows phones. MeeGo would have been a good way to go but Nokia chose against it. No pressure from MS to be honest.

Actually the Phone was not at all released in markets where M$ sensed it'd gain market share ie US, UK and India. Directly or indirectly M$ had a hand in this. :twisted:

sc3n3l0v3r

Journeyman
See man i had N900 i& its an awesome fone but i fAcd issues with its games/apps as they r limited.
So u might find d same in N9,

but N9 is a piece of art, one of mine frend has it, the Meego OS that is really bit difficult to use but can be familiar within 2-3 days.....

I have use Lumia 710 is so-so fone, I didn't lykd it much....

So I wud advise to go for N9 :)

OP
WolVish

WolVish

Broken In
Thanks a lot for the positive response. The only thing I have to verify is the audio quality in earphones/headphones. I have a Klipsch Image S4 headphones and I'd be heavily disappointed if the Audio quality is not good. Can you please give feedback about the Audio?

Update - In Indian grey market, the phone is available for 24k. In Singapore retail it's around 20k.

OP
WolVish

WolVish

Broken In
Update - Got the phone for 299 Euros from Finland. Using it for the last 1 week. Really cool and easy to use, better than iOS or WP7. :)

Only CONs are Mono Speaker and PenTile AMOLED.

This OS deserves a new life. Sad to see it die with it's huge potential. :(

P.S. - Swipe is REALLY cool.. I'd love to see this OS on a phone with dual core proccessor and PureView Camera..

pratyush997

Inactive
Go for Nokia N9 and in case of Dead OS, you can also install Android ICS as shown in Nokia N9 gains Android 4.0.3 dual-boot thanks to 'Project Mayhem' | The Verge

OP
WolVish

WolVish

Broken In
@reddragon: Gigantti verkkokauppa - nettitilauksiin nopea toimitus - Gigantti

The price has increased to 319 Euros it seems. 1400 bucks more. I believe it's available for a much lower price in Singapore.

Nokia N9-00 16GB (Syaani) - Gigantti

Maybe I'm wrong, but when compared to SII's display this looks washed out, It produces yellowish white instead of pure white. Otherwise the screen is great. Sun light legibility is also very good.

@pratyush: Yup. I know about Nitdroid. But I don't want to screw up right away. I wanted to use it for a couple of months with MeeGo first.. :)

My verdict - It comes nowhere near Galaxy S II's display or power, but the UI is buttery smooth. It's not worth 30 thousand, but it's great VFM if bought around 20k..

Last edited:

red dragon

Master troll
It is the o.s and the beautiful build(Nokia at its best!)
I am not going to use it as a daily driver though.

Top Bottom