Nokia Internet Access Ubuntu

crazylamhe

Broken In
Hello everyone, I use Ubuntu 10.10, and am unable to access internet through data cable from my cell-phone Nokia C5-00. When in windows, I connect the phone for the first time, automatically a .exe file runs and a software gets installed. In subsequent connections, I am automatically connected to the internet. Because it's a .exe file, it won't work in Ubuntu ! :(
An alternative in windows is the Nokia PC Suite. I googled for the Ubuntu version to find Nokia doesn't bring out any for Linux. :wah:
However, an alternative to it was Nokuntu(for Ubuntu).So, I downloaded and installed Nokuntu, but it proved to be of no use(I even felt more comfortable without it)... Currently, I connect my cell-phone to Internet over the Bluetooth connection(in Ubuntu, works fine). But I need your help for the Data Cable part. Plz. help

nims11

BIOS Terminator
since accessing internet from PC through mobile phone is through a dial-up connection, you can use wvdial to connect to internet through your phone.

here, i searched for you an example on how to setup wvdial to work with mobile phones.
*help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/MobilePhone

Niilesh

Padawan
:facepalm:

How the frack does a .exe file run in Ubuntu? Wine acting strange. Else I dont think you have Ubuntu

read the post carefully
Hello everyone, I use Ubuntu 10.10, and am unable to access internet through data cable from my cell-phone Nokia C5-00. When in windows, I connect the phone for the first time, automatically a .exe file runs and a software gets installed. In subsequent connections, I am automatically connected to the internet. Because it's a .exe file, it won't work in Ubuntu ! :(

OP
crazylamhe

crazylamhe

Broken In
since accessing internet from PC through mobile phone is through a dial-up connection, you can use wvdial to connect to internet through your phone.

here, i searched for you an example on how to setup wvdial to work with mobile phones.
*help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/MobilePhone

Yes, I installed wvdial and then tried it(replacing vodafone with airtel, but didn't actually work !! )

Check link below:

Debian User Forums • View topic - [solved] Linux internet using mobiles-USB/Bluetooth

Firstly, this site was blocked by the college authorities(no guesses) :oops:; somehow using a proxy server, I got to it. Yes, the site was kinda useful, but wvdial had issues, the message :
[Dialer Defaults]

Init1=ATZ

Init2=ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

Init3=AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com","",0,0

Baud=460800

Modem Type=Analog Modem

ISDN=0

Phone = *99#

New PPPD = yes

[Dialer BT]

modem=/dev/rfcomm0

[Dialer USB]

modem=/dev/ttyACM0

It said no analog modem was detected, and Dialer BT and Dialer USB were not applicable for it. No clue absolutely !! :confused:
Later on, installed gnome-ppp but didn't help either...

Problem solved !!!
Opened the "Network Connections" and moved on to Mobile-Broadband tab... Surprise, my mobile stands detected(wasn't earlier). Don't know what made it detect, then following simple instructions,finally done with... so I have my collars up,many many thanks to ye guyzz. .