No new theme for ubuntu 8.04-hardy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
The completely new theme for Ubuntu 8.04 has been deferred to the following release. The original plan was to have a fresh theme for every long-term-support release, starting with Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. Now it has been decided to put off the redesign until Ubuntu 8.10.

Here is the source, a posting by Kenneth Wimer:

Many of the basic questions have now been answered and we can begin to move forward in earnest - remember though, we are not going to change the theme for Hardy radically as it is the last of the LTS cycle (stated in previous mails, launchpad blueprints, irc, etc).

The 8.04 theme won’t be exactly the same, there are plans to make minor improvements. Work on the totally new theme has not stopped either so now there will be plenty of time to make it great.

It’s disappointing that there will be no new theme, it was due to be one of the highlights of the release. Just think about the many other improvements that will make it in to Ubuntu 8.04 like Firefox 3, PulseAudio, Transmission, and better Compiz Fusion effects
:( :(
Suorce : Tombuntu

praka123

left this forum longback
aargh!I hate the brown theme.what I do first in ubuntu is to customize to blue theme(blubuntu) :evil:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Me 3, I just HATE that brown/orange combo! Fedora with its blue or openSUSE with its green look much much much and much better than this default ubuntu theme!

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Even i hate the default brown theme in Ubuntu and the blue one is great!

You say no new theme, then whats this? :confused:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78260

Me 5. I too loath the default theme. It makes ubuntu look old fashioned and ugly. I too changed to the blue theme. But now, I use win4lin and mac4lin as my themes. Why can't canonical atleast <include> a new theme for us if they can't make it default ? They say that they want to retain the old look, but why not make it better, and leave it within the OS for us to switch to ?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
That was planned, but now changed:(

but Brown is adopted because it matched the whole Idea of Ubuntu - Linux for Human Being

and Humans being are not white,blue or green but they are brown:)

IMO the same theme should be available in different colors, but they current one should be default

Rahim

Married!
I too changed to the blue theme. But now, I use win4lin and mac4lin as my themes.
I agree with you, me too using Mac4Lin Themes

Humans being are not white,blue or green but they are brown:)
Says who?:p Ask an American, "Are you Brown?". "No way, I am White!!!"
The connection of Brown colour and philosophy of Ubuntu is quite lame IMHO. They should use that colour,fine,but should jazzz it up, make it attractive.
the Default theme Baba Adam Ke Zamaane Ka Lagta Hai.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
I agree with you, me too using Mac4Lin Themes

Says who?:p Ask an American, "Are you Brown?". "No way, I am White!!!"
The connection of Brown colour and philosophy of Ubuntu is quite lame IMHO. They should use that colour,fine,but should jazzz it up, make it attractive.
the Default theme Baba Adam Ke Zamaane Ka Lagta Hai.
Man, Ubuntu is originated from south africa, if you didn't knew

Rahim

Married!
Hey gary I know that! I too read the story. System> About Ubuntu :D
I have no problem with the colour but it is so dull.

OP
abhinandh

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
thank god,gnome is so customizable.no probs for me there*img246.imageshack.us/img246/8399/thumbsup4kk.gif

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Exactly, Its not like we gotta live with the theme till a new release or buy a software just to change it , like windows folks right?
Just head to www.gnome-look.org and pick a theme you want.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I thought only I hated the brown theme :D The theme needs a major upgrade. Since I use Mint now, it's always got a cooooooool green :D <- Just like this :p

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Why is the default desktop in Ubuntu BROWN?
Mark Shuttleworth said:
The overarching theme of the first set of Ubuntu releases is "Humanity". This drives our choice of artwork as much as our selection of packages and decisions around the installer. Our default theme in the first four releases of Ubuntu is called "Human", and it emphasises warm, human colours - brown.

Yes, that's rather unusual in a world where most desktops are blue or green, and the MacOSX has gone kitchenware. Partly, we like the fact that Ubuntu is different, warmer. The computer is not a device any more, it's an extension of your mind, your gateway to other people (by email, voip, irc, and over the web). We wanted a feel that was unique, striking, comforting, and above all, human. We chose brown. That's quite a high risk choice, because to render brown your screen has to render subtle shades of blue, and green, and red. Even slight variations from the norm can shift the "brown" substantially. But monitors and LCD screens these days are increasingly of a standard that we felt the risk was acceptable. In Hoary and Breezy we have gone with a richer, redder brown, based on feedback from lower-end laptop and LCD screen users.
:)
Source

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
Still not convinced :-| majority dont like this exercise.kubuntu carries a blue theme which is attractive.I have done the same in my Debian and Ubuntu.

but calling mac theming kitchenware! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom