No new theme for ubuntu 8.04-hardy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they wanted to use brown that badly, they could have used dark brown and they could have given the gnome bars a dark brownish woody finish, which would make ubuntu look uber cool.

How about starting a poll asking if the default ubuntu theme sucks or not ?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
What the hell is wrong with you guys!!! .. if you dont like something in ubuntu then change it yourself .. goodness gracious me .. you get the whole fcuking source.... modify it as per your wish. Why whine about a simple thing as theme color.do I really have to tell linux experts here to look at gnome-look.org?

What the hell is wrong with you guys!!! .. if you dont like something in ubuntu then change it yourself .. goodness gracious me .. you get the whole fcuking source.... modify it as per your wish. Why whine about a simple thing as theme color.do I really have to tell linux experts here to look at gnome-look.org?
You are both right and wrong.

1. You are right because this can easily be done ourselves. After all, linux is all about DIY.

2. You are wrong, because Ubuntu is supposed to be a distro for the "general public" and not for the alpha geeks. The general public likes stuff that looks good, and has a polished feel about it. This ubuntu lacks.

I can forgive(actually, I can appritiate) a royal geek's uber OS like Slackware, Gentoo or Debian if they came with every thing bare and left to be configured, the way it is today. But for an OS that claims to be for the general masses, ubuntu must look good.

Why can't they learn from Mint, SuSE, Vector, Mandriva, Linspire, Xandros, etc ? Looks do matter when it comes to the first impression of a third person.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Curse themm. Orange/Brown looks ****** big time. and I am sick in modifying it again .. I better look for other alternatives now :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
You are both right and wrong.
2. You are wrong, because Ubuntu is supposed to be a distro for the "general public" and not for the alpha geeks. The general public likes stuff that looks good, and has a polished feel about it. This ubuntu lacks.

I can forgive(actually, I can appritiate) a royal geek's uber OS like Slackware, Gentoo or Debian if they came with every thing bare and left to be configured, the way it is today. But for an OS that claims to be for the general masses, ubuntu must look good.

General public also want to play DVD's, MP3's and other stuff.. which doesnot come out of the box in Ubuntu cause of GNU restrictions. One has to install restricted extras. if one knows how to install those extras, then changing the theme will be a piece of cake for him or her. Now do you consider ubuntu just for the looks?

MetalheadGautham said:
Why can't they learn from Mint, SuSE, Vector, Mandriva, Linspire, Xandros, etc ? Looks do matter when it comes to the first impression of a third person.
Mark Shuttleworth said:
We wanted a feel that was unique, striking, comforting, and above all, human. We chose brown.

General public also want to play DVD's, MP3's and other stuff.. which doesnot come out of the box in Ubuntu cause of GNU restrictions. One has to install restricted extras. if one knows how to install those extras, then changing the theme will be a piece of cake for him or her. Now do you consider ubuntu just for the looks?
atleast its a simple step to install all those things you mentioned. Besides, its something that they *want* to give but *can't*. But Looks is something they *can* give but they *won't*.

Edit: I know its possible to even convert debian to ubuntu by running just one single shell script and entering the password, but still, lets not deviate.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@Charan
True general public wanna do a hell lot of more things. But they can't be bundled due to license restrictions. But whats stopping them to improve on the default theme?

After all when you see screenshots its the theme and appearance that catches your attention the most and appeals to first time users!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Charan
True general public wanna do a hell lot of more things. But they can't be bundled due to license restrictions. But whats stopping them to improve on the default theme?

After all when you see screenshots its the theme and appearance that catches your attention the most and appeals to first time users!

They wont cause its what they want to do .. they want to be different..

take these smilie for instance
:confused: ;) :D :D :mad: :D :D ;) :confused:

which one stands out? --> :mad:

now when it comes to first time users ... well Ubuntu is getting more and more popular than anyother distro.

offtopic: Any one checkout Sabayon default theme? :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom