Newbie to Android need help

rsk11584

Journeyman
I have upgraded from Nokia to Android so finding it lots of difficult to adjust to android.

Earlier in nokia, installing using ringtones, music files, video files, java applications was very easy you just need to copy into sd card and it will do all, now in my samsung galaxy 551 I tried creating a ringtone folder and copied some ringtones from my PC but not able to figure out how to set the selected ringtone. ;( ;( not even from astro it is not possible ;( ;( ;(

Same with java applications you could move any application from Phone to SD card in nokia but in android I downloaded some apps from android market through WIFI but now I dont know wherer these apps are stored in phone memory or sd card, and how to move them from phone memory to SD card so that the phone memory is kept intact.

Also I want to install offline applications, ringtones, videos, games etc. like download all the above liesurely from internet on my PC, and then install it to phone all at once, like I was able to do in my nokia phone without the phone being connected to internet all times.

Saw some discussion on rooting and unrooting the phone but did not understand it as did not want to void my warranty or brick my phone .

Why are there not different call profiles in samsung galaxy so that we can set different profiles, normal silent loud etc etc,,, ;( ;(

Someone please explain to me this android OS

tejaslok

Journeyman
me too xperiencing some difficulties in understanding "android".. but it takes time and u will be familiar with it so soon,

regarding apps 2 sd i donno how to install directly to SD card today after i installed some apps and games i came to know 70% of them are installed in 'internal mem' so right now im having 2 GB card will upgrade it soon to 8 Gigs. :)

vulpine

Broken In
I have upgraded from Nokia to Android so finding it lots of difficult to adjust to android.

Earlier in nokia, installing using ringtones, music files, video files, java applications was very easy you just need to copy into sd card and it will do all, now in my samsung galaxy 551 I tried creating a ringtone folder and copied some ringtones from my PC but not able to figure out how to set the selected ringtone. ;( ;( not even from astro it is not possible ;( ;( ;(

Same with java applications you could move any application from Phone to SD card in nokia but in android I downloaded some apps from android market through WIFI but now I dont know wherer these apps are stored in phone memory or sd card, and how to move them from phone memory to SD card so that the phone memory is kept intact.

Also I want to install offline applications, ringtones, videos, games etc. like download all the above liesurely from internet on my PC, and then install it to phone all at once, like I was able to do in my nokia phone without the phone being connected to internet all times.

Saw some discussion on rooting and unrooting the phone but did not understand it as did not want to void my warranty or brick my phone .

Why are there not different call profiles in samsung galaxy so that we can set different profiles, normal silent loud etc etc,,, ;( ;(

Someone please explain to me this android OS

Dude it may take some time getting used to a new OS
Android is in any way better than any other OS for mobile platform out there.

regarding ringtones, while playing them in music player
you have an option "set as" use it.
I recommend installing handcent sms which has better ringtone picker. :)

Forget java apps, Go to market and install android apps they are 500% better in UI,speed etc...

sad part about android 2.1 is you cannot install apps to SD with out rooting your phone.
And rooting is no rocket science. Just follow the procedure that's recommended for your phone.

Regarding profiles, Yeah donno how android missed providing such an important feature.

But there are apps in market. i use quick profiles.
It implements profiles in much better way than symbian.

OP
R

rsk11584

Journeyman
Thank vulpie ;) for your comments, my samsung galaxy 551 tells that it already had built in swype but i tried all sources on internet could not find how to activate or use it, the methods mentioned therein just show only one keyboard on my phone the samsung one ;( seems its just on the box and not on the phone ;( any galaxy 551 user here?????

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
^^^ you can check whether your phone has swype or not by checking it in
Setting > Text and Locale (or Language and Keyboard)

If you don't find it there simply download it from their website, register and follow the instructions.

OP
R

rsk11584

Journeyman
^^^ you can check whether your phone has swype or not by checking it in
Setting > Text and Locale (or Language and Keyboard)

If you don't find it there simply download it from their website, register and follow the instructions.

Tried all also tried installing from swype website,, but it tells that some screen size error ;(

vulpine

Broken In
@rsk11584
your phone is QVGA right?
I think swype is not yet available for that screen size.

OP
R

rsk11584

Journeyman
@rsk11584
your phone is QVGA right?
I think swype is not yet available for that screen size.

yeah in video resolution its mentioned that 320x240 (QVGA) (15 fps)

but if swype is not available then howcome samsung has put it in the box :???::???: :evil::evil: stupid samsung people.....

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
Your phone has WQVGA resolution and its screen resolution not video resolution!
And this resolution IMO should support SWYPE as Galaxy 3 with same resolution has SWYPE preloaded.

SWYPE website provide you (after registration) a link to download "swype downloader", this downloader downloads the appropriate swype for your phone depending upon your screen resolution. So give it a try :-D

OP
R

rsk11584

Journeyman
Your phone has WQVGA resolution and its screen resolution not video resolution!
And this resolution IMO should support SWYPE as Galaxy 3 with same resolution has SWYPE preloaded.

SWYPE website provide you (after registration) a link to download "swype downloader", this downloader downloads the appropriate swype for your phone depending upon your screen resolution. So give it a try :-D

That was my first try,,, went to swype registered received email n tried to install that showed the error and swipe never installed ,, then downloaded swype apk file from some site it installed correctly but did not work stating that screen size error showing ;( will ask some galaxy 3 user to make apk of their swype and try it too,

The exact error after installing the second swipe apk is as below:

the swype package you installed does not match the screen size of the device. Please contact swype about the issue. Screen Size 240 x 400

Tried lot to search swype for WQVGA , but all found was cab files ;(

Last edited:

niraj87

Broken In
Try SlideIT keyboard, its just like Swype :

SlideIT Keyboard v2.1.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

OP
R

rsk11584

Journeyman
Try SlideIT keyboard, its just like Swype :

SlideIT Keyboard v2.1.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

phew tried slide it not much fun it can only type english words, even my name is not typed correctly for RAVI its shows RABBI still good thanks a lot for informing about slide it ;) :-D:-D

niraj87

Broken In
I have never been successful in typing even a single word using either Skype or SlideIt...I dont understand this concept of input.

OP
R

rsk11584

Journeyman
yeah the swiping feature is of not much use but the grammar feature is good it suggests words as u type thus reducing the time, but obviously it wont undrstnd the sms language like hi hw ru etc etc

P

Pranav Rao

hello,

I was new to android too.
But thankfully I found this:
How to setup your first Android Phone

Its very nicely given and hope it will help you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Swype's just awesome! No match!! Swype increased my typing speed by ten folds! You just need to get used to it! And then you won't be able to stop!

Just tweak the settings according to your use... Set "Suggest words as u type" to never. It annoys the most! Once you manually type a word which is new to Swype , it records the word in its dictionary & the next time you need not type it manually! Just Swype!

I can type faster on swype than on my desktop keyboard! I just love Swype!!!!

Sarath

iDota
Why do i feel symbian > nokia
used a C7 for the whole of last month. Loved it. Then switched to android on xperia arc. Although the OS is much smoother and seems to do everything better than the symbian there are just so many things i am just not able to do. I have an ipod so im well versed with iOS too.

Hope my android serves me well.

Top Bottom