Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
Ive been using opensource softwares lyk openoffice.org before...but didnt step
into the real thing,,,, the linux distros!!!!
I tried some live cds which digit provided like dynebolic, slax, mint etc, and got fascinated by linux....so now i wanna get more deep into it..
im confused with which Linux Os to install first on one of my partitions...
I wud like to start with an os which has a gr8 graphical interface with sum other goodies like media players, etc,,,,,so plzz help

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Big Daddies???

Then go for openSUSE or Fedora

openSUSE even has support for one-click install via the internet for many softwares. So it'll be no pain to you to enable multimedia support in openSUSE. You can also search the forum about how to connect to the internet in Linux (Broadband, Airtel etc, everyone is covered)

Welcome to the Linux community!!

OP
PCWORM

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
Big Daddies???

Then go for openSUSE or Fedora

openSUSE even has support for one-click install via the internet for many softwares. So it'll be no pain to you to enable multimedia support in openSUSE. You can also search the forum about how to connect to the internet in Linux (Broadband, Airtel etc, everyone is covered)

Welcome to the Linux community!!
Umm,, sounds interesting!!! thnx 4 welcoming!!

Should i include a poll??

Last edited:

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
My suggestion is Mint too.You can try out Ubuntu, But Mint is everything Ubuntu is with a fair bit more put into it.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Fedora 8. Try it & you'll love it. Most required apps are automatically installed (this is one feature different from distros based on Debian).

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I would suggest Linux Mint, its based on Ubuntu and has got proprietary codecs, so you dont have to install those as in ubuntu.

OP
PCWORM

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
OKAY...Ill go wit mint 4 now...then open suse

SLACKWARE?....Can u giv sum more info?

Last edited:

vish786

"The Gentleman"
slackware, another unix flavoured distro , it uses old kernel 2.4.* (when I checked) & also has been updated with new kernel versions to provide user flexibity... its famous for its stability thats one of the reason still 2.4 kernel version is in use... one can tweak slackware to extreme based on personal usage but again for which you require some basics. since your a newbie use much more GUI based distro already mentioned stick to it, learn & switch over to slackware to know more of unix

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Vish, slackware moved over to 2.6.x long back. 11.0 shipped with 2.6.16 kernel if I remember right. Because 2.6 kernel has proven to be stable enough for slackware to consider moving to it.
And no, slackware doesn't require you to have great knowledge but rather curiosity to dig deeper.
If you just want to use for everyday stuff than suse, ubuntu, mandriva are really good and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom