• SUSE

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
well FYI, I have learned much about Linux with windows when I was in 7th. At that time I had RedHat 7 & 8 respectively. Nice things to play with. But must have dual boot if u r new to Linux.

OP
PCWORM

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
Ok...im thinking of starting with suse and mint as of now...
i hav two PCs wid these configs:
1. AMD X2 5600+ (2.8 GHZ), ASUS M2N-VM DV, 2GB RAM 800MHZ, 160 GB HDD
2. INTEL P4 2.4 GHZ, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HDD.

m gonna install mint on one pc and suse on the other one,,which Config should
i choose to install mint and suse respectively??...

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
openSUSE should be installed on the AMD one, pref. 64-bit. It would work like a charm and Mint should be installed on the other one.

But it really doesn't matters where you'll install them. Both should work fine.

Tip:- If you decide to install openSUSE on the Intel one then consider choosing the GNOME environment, coz it really puts less stress on the system then KDE environment.

Do tell us your results though!

Happy Installing!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Ok...im thinking of starting with suse and mint as of now...
i hav two PCs wid these configs:
1. AMD X2 5600+ (2.8 GHZ), ASUS M2N-VM DV, 2GB RAM 800MHZ, 160 GB HDD
2. INTEL P4 2.4 GHZ, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HDD.

m gonna install mint on one pc and suse on the other one,,which Config should
i choose to install mint and suse respectively??...
i suggest you to install same distros in machine, else you will have to do double learning + hardwork.

maybe, install windows on one machine & install linux on other. so if you can't figure out something in linux, do that in windows;)

also partioning will also be easier will you use a single boot setup;)

praka123

left this forum longback
anything ecept SuSE gives you a good starting point.
Agreed! :p personal opinion though!(novell cheated FOSS by signing patent deal with M$)

I have tried Fedora 8.This distro is hell lot better than what it used to before.

I recommend Fedora for a n00b GNU/Linux user.

else,

Ubuntu GNU/Linux 7.10,for package management and easy access to "super powers"(sudo) ;)

Those who have enough of distro shuffling,go,permanent for Debian Lenny(testing) -the father and mother of Ubuntu and other Debian based distros :cool:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Debian-based_distributions

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Agreed! :p personal opinion though!(novell cheated FOSS by signing patent deal with M$)

I have tried Fedora 8.This distro is hell lot better than what it used to before.

I recommend Fedora for a n00b GNU/Linux user.

else,

Ubuntu GNU/Linux 7.10,for package management and easy access to "super powers"(sudo) ;)

Those who have enough of distro shuffling,go,permanent for Debian Lenny(testing) -the father and mother of Ubuntu and other Debian based distros :cool:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Debian-based_distributions
:mad:
I am using Fedora 7 and its very good. I am soon going to upgrade to Fedora 8. And I have also sudo working (without passwd).

praka123

left this forum longback
^I said by default,sudo is enabled in Ubuntu,not in Fedora afaik.I know it can be done by visudo the file /etc/sudoers.but do u think any new user by first itself will set sudo in fedora?

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
^I said by default,sudo is enabled in Ubuntu,not in Fedora afaik.I know it can be done by visudo the file /etc/sudoers.but do u think any new user by first itself will set sudo in fedora?
/etc/sudoers has both options - either user permissions or group based.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
You are right prakash, I use Fedora 8 , sudo was not available to me when installed. I had to edit /etc/sudoers to get it working.

Pathik

Google Bot
Actually i never liked sudo much.. I just used to su and login as root. Felt more powerful that way. :D i know it sounds foolish..

praka123

left this forum longback
^I dont have sudo installed in Debian :D .but,I think sudo is really helpful for new linux users,who dont want to remember 2 passwords(root,local user) :D

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Actually i never liked sudo much.. I just used to su and login as root. Felt more powerful that way. :D i know it sounds foolish..
use SSH for much more power :D su doesn't allow you to specify commands like service (you have to issue the path /sbin/service) and useradd. userdel, etc.

If need such commands i simply use SSH :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom