New Laptop For Collage

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
New Laptop For College

As the Title Says Need A Laptop For College and I am Confused what type to get Ultrabook or Powerhouse Machine !!
Any Collage Guys Please Help...

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

80K-90K

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Lenovo,Apple,HP,Sony,Dell
b. Dislike:Samsung

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Regular Note Taking ,Rom Dev(Android) ,Eclipse Work,Photoshop,Other Collage stuff!!

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
1080P (I love Pixels) |Not Really A Glossy Fan !!

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

Local Or Online Any thing !!

Last edited:

Hrishi

If gaming is not your major concern then you should probably invest your money in Haswell based laptops with Core i7 4th Gen because they will have very good battery backup and might be slim-profile as well.
IMo , if it were under 60K budget , your best bet would have been Lenevo Y500.But at 90k , there can be better options as well.

OP
Ayuclack

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
Haswell Has A Major Battery Life Improvement when compared to IvyBridge... But Not many haswell systems are available yet in India... & If We Add Say Little Bit More Gaming .. then What options do I Have ,Dont want that big Alienware...

Hrishi

Haswell Has A Major Battery Life Improvement when compared to IvyBridge... But Not many haswell systems are available yet in India... & If We Add Say Little Bit More Gaming .. then What options do I Have ,Dont want that big Alienware...

Lenovo Y500 might be your best bet if you can get the 1080p variant with SLi650m , you can throw in a Solid State Drive for the saved money from your initial budget.
Also , it has backlit keyboard which might be helpful for typing under dark conditions.

OP
Ayuclack

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
How is the Lenovo Y580 ..Is it lighter than Macbook Pro 15 as I already have one !!!

And What are these Y500,Y510,y580 models anyway !!

OP
Ayuclack

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
How Many Hardware Config Are There .. One with Gt650m and other with 750m ....

Also Does All Model Come with SLI (I mean Dual Nvidia Gpu By Default )

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
How Many Hardware Config Are There .. One with Gt650m and other with 750m ....

Also Does All Model Come with SLI (I mean Dual Nvidia Gpu By Default )
Nope, the sli models are not available in India...
I ordered my SLI model from newegg.com through ishopinternational... :-D
There are two hardware configs available in India:
1. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-346619) with Full HD sceen and GT650m
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-346619) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com
2. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647) with HD screen and GT750m
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com
The GT650m model is only available locally, as of now, and it's very hard to find with stocks depleting fast!!!
If you can find that model, buy it ASAP or order from US!!! :mrgreen:

Btw, why do you need a lappy for Collage??? New form of art??? :lol:

OP
Ayuclack

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
Ha Ha Swipe Typo !! Collage !! :lol: Didn't Noticed That !!

And What About the Y510 ... About to come any time Soon ??

OP
Ayuclack

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
Nope, the sli models are not available in India...
I ordered my SLI model from newegg.com through ishopinternational... :-D
There are two hardware configs available in India:
1. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-346619) with Full HD sceen and GT650m
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-346619) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com
2. Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647) with HD screen and GT750m
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 (59-379647) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci7/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com
The GT650m model is only available locally, as of now, and it's very hard to find with stocks depleting fast!!!
If you can find that model, buy it ASAP or order from US!!! :mrgreen:

What About This One Link

Also The Ultrabay SLI Card Is that Available In India !!

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
What About This One Link

Also The Ultrabay SLI Card Is that Available In India !!

The SLI card is not available in India, nor is it gonna be released here!!! :cry:
You could buy that one, though I had to settle for this as my debit card had an upper limit of Rs. 75000!!! :-(
About the y510p model, it had some SLI issues and as such, Lenovo removed the second graphics card from the base models!!!
IdeaPad Y510p High-Performance 15.6" Multimedia Laptop from Lenovo | Lenovo (US)
personally though, I feel that 16GB memory is overkill for this laptop though the 16GB SSD is something that's worth the extra money I suppose!!!:-D

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Then Its Better For Me To Go With Indian Y500 With GT750M and Put A SSD in Ultrabay !!

The Indian Y500 with GT750m doesn't have a Full HD screen... It's only a 1366x768 screen... Plus, the GT750m is just an overclocked GT650m!!! It's better if you buy the older GT 650m model or order from Newegg... :)

OP
Ayuclack

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
Does the y500 comes with windows installation media as i would format and install ubuntu on it along windows 8 and may even track mountain lion

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
Does the y500 comes with windows installation media as i would format and install ubuntu on it along windows 8 and may even track mountain lion

Nope, it doesn't come with any Windows Installation Media... Though you can create a recovery disc!!!

OP
Ayuclack

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
I am thinking to get the Macbook Air 13 2013 Instead as the weight and battery life is a major factor at college !!

Top Bottom