New Amd AM3 based high end pc Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryuzaki21

Broken In
yes. Thanks to superior architecture, Sandy Bridge is a four core i7 easily beats a 6 core Phenom II. And if you check the news lately, you should be able to know that AMD Llano core based upcoming processors too are no match for Intel's Sandy Bridge. bulldozer is due next year (if i am right).

On the contrary, Llano is doing extremely well where it was targeted - The laptop segment and most llano shipments are already sold out. The performance and battery life has actually exceeded expectations as it is supposedly nothing more than a Phenom 2 paired with a superior IGP.......Bulldozer will be out in July-August this year or at the most September and not next year...lolz.

For the record I support neither Intel nor AMD and it would augur well for the market if bulldozer stands to be successful for with real competition it is the consumer that stands to be the benefactor.... And I absolutely detest imbecilic belligerent fanboism of any sort.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't denied that CPU performance is weaker. Look at the Indian situation, where discrete GPUs are still a luxury and customers more price conscious. Now:-

Athlon II X4 + Radeon 6450 = 8000
Core i3 2100 + Radeon 6450 = 9500
Llano A8-3850 = listed at $150 some 7500

When all over the world IGP sales are still stronger than discrete GPU, this matters.

Plus if you coupled the Llano with 1866 MHz RAM, performance of the GPU goes well above the 6450 levels, making the 5570 somewhat redundant at 720p.

So, its not bad for desktops also. And for HTPCs it could be a killer.

ryuzaki21

Broken In
^^ Still the cpu part is far weaker than sandybridge. And in desktops, the gpu part is neglected . So sandybridge is still far superior in clock per clock performance when paired with a discrete gpu.

Only in laptop markets, it will make sense where power management is a huge priority. Bulldozer will be sandybridge's true opponent.

I concur. Llano is geared specifically for the laptop market where it brings viable performance and superior battery life compared to SB. We shall have to wait and see how Bulldozer actually performs and I only hope it doesn't turn out be a dud like Duke Nukem Forever. Unfortunately for AMD even if they do bring out a superior architecture in BD that might beat SB they shall still have Ivy bridge to contend with next year. It is still commendable whatever AMD has accomplished in the last decade considering their minuscule R&D budget......

Viewing the AMD and Nvidia future roadmaps, it looks like in a few years Cpu performance might just not matter that much....

@SKUD: Actually the on board IGP for llano is on par with a 5570 or a lil' better...in contrast the intel IGP is an absolutely atrocious performer.

Last edited:
OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks guys for the huge discussion. Though the x6 is lagging i7 for now new fx series would be able to compete so as of now no such application is going to use all 6 core to gain the performance. I believe its all depends on the apps design .

I am not going to use quad sli at all but the reason i am going for quad pci-e is in near future if required for phyx i can buy a nvidia to make it as dedicated gpu or any other card to half load the phyx to that card and if any sound card .

Later i was thinking is that if this x6 is worn out say next 5 years i should be able to upgrade to buldozer so will have to go for 990fx based board.

I had seen asus cross hair 5 and 4 extreme

Can any one which of the above is better. Any indian shop sells 5 series. new i think.

ryuzaki21

Broken In
The new 990 fx mobos are touted to have support for a quad SLI or a Quadcrossfire set up. However I wonder as to what games are you going to play on such an expensive setup?.... as we are still relegated to playing 5 year old console ports or poorly optimized ports with heavy system requirements. A dual (read two cards) sli or crossfire set up should be more than enough.....direct x 11 games are few and far between and most games still use direct x 9 so it makes absolutely no sense to for such a setup unless you are contemplating extreme multi monitor gaming.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I concur. Llano is geared specifically for the laptop market where it brings viable performance and superior battery life compared to SB. We shall have to wait and see how Bulldozer actually performs and I only hope it doesn't turn out be a dud like Duke Nukem Forever. Unfortunately for AMD even if they do bring out a superior architecture in BD that might beat SB they shall still have Ivy bridge to contend with next year. It is still commendable whatever AMD has accomplished in the last decade considering their minuscule R&D budget......

Viewing the AMD and Nvidia future roadmaps, it looks like in a few years Cpu performance might just not matter that much....

@SKUD: Actually the on board IGP for llano is on par with a 5570 or a lil' better...in contrast the intel IGP is an absolutely atrocious performer.

Forget ivybridge, the upcoming sandybridge-E for socket 2011 will be the true high end parts from intel similar to last gen's x58 1366 processors.

So bulldozer will also have to worry about that as well since the enthusiast crowd won't look at anything else afaik. Bulldozer has to be powerful enough to challenge sandybride-E.

Talking about the future road maps of the leading graphics manufacturers, it can be said that they are getting compute heavy and will be capable of handling x86/64 instructions. The upcoming amd's architecture has full support of c++ to handle more general computing tasks. But still they will always assist the cpu & offload a lot of tasks & process themselves.

ryuzaki21

Broken In
We"ll have to wait and see now, won't we?......AMD has an uphill task ahead when it comes to CPUs but it is doing well with the GPU part and the llano is a very smart product. I am just holding off my cpu upgrades for now depending on how it all plays out......I would however not get an SB- E coz ivybridge will be released in 2012 and what it brings to the table is far more exciting than SB-E.

Let's not forget Intel has a substantial budget for research and development and is still left with enough dough to upgrade its fabs every year.....AMD on the other hand, not so much. If the BD turns out to be competitive with SB/SB-E then that would be most commendable.

Forget ivybridge, the upcoming sandybridge-E for socket 2011 will be the true high end parts from intel similar to last gen's x58 1366 processors.

So bulldozer will also have to worry about that as well since the enthusiast crowd won't look at anything else afaik. Bulldozer has to be powerful enough to challenge sandybride-E.

Talking about the future road maps of the leading graphics manufacturers, it can be said that they are getting compute heavy and will be capable of handling x86/64 instructions. The upcoming amd's architecture has full support of c++ to handle more general computing tasks. But still they will always assist the cpu & offload a lot of tasks & process themselves.

The GPU's of the future shall be like parallel processing units and shall be able be handle very complex applications.......

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Before we get our posts purged, lets stop, there's dedicated threads for these discussions.;)

Lets concentrate on the topic.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ ryuzaki21

Buddy you are a wee bit confused. Sandybridge-E are enthusiast level cpu's based on sandybridge's architecture and offers more than 4 cores with quad channel memory. Ivybridge is the 22nm die shrink and not an architectural upgrade.

Sandybridge-E processors will also get the ivybridge treatment later next year. That means ivybridge-E will make their way to socket 2011 (x79). They will use intel's 3d trigate transistors.

So ivybridge will also come to socket 1155 as well as socket 2011. Its a 22nm die shrink of both sandybridge and sandybridge-E.

ryuzaki21

Broken In
@ ryuzaki21

Buddy you are a wee bit confused. Sandybridge-E are enthusiast level cpu's based on sandybridge's architecture and offers more than 4 cores with quad channel memory. Ivybridge is the 22nm die shrink and not an architectural upgrade.

Sandybridge-E processors will also get the ivybridge treatment later next year. That means ivybridge-E will make their way to socket 2011 (x79). They will use intel's 3d trigate transistors.

So ivybridge will also come to socket 1155 as well as socket 2011. Its a 22nm die shrink of both sandybridge and sandybridge-E.

No mate, I ain't quite confused at all and that is why I stated SB-E......Ivybridge is gonna be built on a 22nm fab process with 3d transistor technology and my prognosis is that it will be a significant improvement over SB or even SB-E for that matter that is even the mainstream counter part,savvy?. btw bulldozer shall also offer more than 4 cores and just like Sb -E the enthusiast version of zambezi shall be released later.....we"ll just have too see how it all turns out coz for now we can only speculate on the performance.

Last edited:

shayem

In the zone
@macho84 would you mind telling me the reason of replying with blank PM. Do you think yourself over smart. If yes then I can teach you some more smartness.

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
@macho84 would you mind telling me the reason of replying with blank PM. Do you think yourself over smart. If yes then I can teach you some more smartness.

I replied you in PM i didn't know i sent a blank one as some error message was there i double posted.

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi i am compromised to intel. So kindly suggest me to go for decent pc config at 45k

I just need the following parts
Cpu-intel prefer i5

Board- Asus/gigabyte ( Note: it need to be future proof. dual x16 if possible more pci express and more ram slots and more than 2000 mhz support for ram , more sata 6gb ports and should have ivy bridge cpu support.

Ram:4/8 gb max freq check in accordance with board

case: Need to be future proof means longest gpu support and max fans support ( Budget is max 6k)

psu : I already fixed galcial tech 950watts . Let me also know your suggestion.

Gpu: will take another 2 moths later . But if amd the best and if nvidia the best max budget is 20k. Still confused is CF or SLI is not advisable.
Req: Min fps 25 irrespective of the games at full HD.

ryuzaki21

Broken In
Why don't you wait until the end of july coz that is when bulldozer is expected to release?.....you would have a much better idea then as to what processor Intel/AMD would offer the best bang for the buck. AMD processors are going to be a lot cheaper according to an official statement released by them since they pulled out of BAPCO alongwith VIA and NVIDIA.....I really can't speculate on bulldozers performance right now but your purchase might just become redundant if it proves to be a splendid performer.Even if you have made up your mind about getting an Intel processor then you should keep in mind that bulldozers launch would also drive it's competitors cpu prices down if it establishes itself as a formidable contender.

Besides I really like AMD mobos as they are feature rich and future proof without being too expensive.Both Crossfire and SLI offer considerable gains over a single card setup.Considering that AMD's graphics component is strong then you should have hybrid crossifre right out of the box(intels IGP is pathetic but it's cpu's as of now are awesome). Forget mere full hd (1920 or 1680) coz with crossfire you can game at insane resolutions on Multi Montor setups (Eyefinity).Nvidia is also a splendid option as it offers 3d gaming if your monitor is 3d ready.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom