Net Connection in Ubunto 5.10

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Before your reply I already configured the DataOne to connect the net. And i am able to open the all web page which I was clicked, but some settings you have shown is different which I configured. there fore shall I again configure the connection. Please note I configured the dataOne through terminal through below code.
Code:
[FONT=Times New Roman]pppoeconf [/FONT]
Also I cannot create short cut for DSL ON/OFF by the method I have done in Ubuntu 5.10. whether the method is different in Ubuntu 7.04.
During long crospondence with you, I have a curisity how you guye keep track of all the url/commands etc mentioned in the thread, where simple linux Command I cannot recall. Even I have
have to think many time to reply a thread to forum.
OK Now your OS and mine is same, I think it will be easy now to teach me and also understandable for me. Can u provide me a downloadble link where from I can download and learn basic things of Ubuntu i.e installing application, important command and the function, dir structure of Ubuntu and the importance of that dir etc etc.....
Basically I wish to know the basic thing of Ubuntu .

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
basics of Ubuntu or any Linux OS is to know the command line.but as with 2002+ onwards Linux became easy for novice users caveat who are ready to use some terminal and command line.the terminal which we use is bash shell which is very easy and featureful.actually you dont need to type all lengthy command options.
there is bash_completion which can autocomplete the remaining parts by pressing TAB key when u have typed the first few letters.double TAB press list all the commands available.also w.r.to the letters u have typed.another thing is it can complete almost many a things listed in PATH .
there are a lot of resources available.they are for all Linux distros irrespective of Ubuntu also.also "man cmdname" will list the usage of commands.
*linuxreviews.org/beginner/
*www.linuxcommand.org

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
skghosh44 said:
Before your reply I already configured the DataOne to connect the net. And i am able to open the all web page which I was clicked, but some settings you have shown is different which I configured. there fore shall I again configure the connection. Please note I configured the dataOne through terminal through below code.
Code:
[FONT=Times New Roman]pppoeconf [/FONT]
Also I cannot create short cut for DSL ON/OFF by the method I have done in Ubuntu 5.10. whether the method is different in Ubuntu 7.04.
During long crospondence with you, I have a curisity how you guye keep track of all the url/commands etc mentioned in the thread, where simple linux Command I cannot recall. Even I have
have to think many time to reply a thread to forum.
OK Now your OS and mine is same, I think it will be easy now to teach me and also understandable for me. Can u provide me a downloadble link where from I can download and learn basic things of Ubuntu i.e installing application, important command and the function, dir structure of Ubuntu and the importance of that dir etc etc.....
Basically I wish to know the basic thing of Ubuntu .

we also have command history, just press the arrow up & down keys and then see;-)

OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
1.When the adsl modem is whitched on & connected to the computer but the DSL is off position and if I look into the Network Status Monitor it still shows bytes received/sent. Will it accounted for the upload.download a/c of my dataone connection.

2. In Desktop Menu>Place>Connect to Remote Server is meant for what.

Code:
gksudo nautilus
Response
subha@ghosh:~$ gksudo nautilus
(nautilus:6243): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
Initializing gnome-mount extension
Along with the msg open a window under root dir and there shows only Desktop icon.
screenshot

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^ it is the file manager(that window!).In that u can browse to ur /home/username/Desktop likely where u downloaded the icons dsl-on & off.then select and copy those icons to directory /usr/share/pixmaps.just be familiar with the file manager(nautilus) or that "window" ;)
...and if u press Desktop,u will reach the Desktop where ur.but opened in nautilus thats all.dude make sure where u downloaded the icons-copy them to /usr/share/pixmaps !!!
For creating shortcut for on & off,right click on the top panel free space and press "Custom Application Launcher".there in the name section u gave the name etc etc read my post reg that in this thread.also remember moving the attached icons to /usr/share/pixmaps.
OK.I am attaching screenshots of how it will look like :)
*iup.in/img/praka123/Screenshot-prakash_-_File_Browser.png
^^^this is the "Nautilus File Manager"-when u opened it as gksudo nautilus,it is opened as administrator,ie-who owns the computer who can do whatever remove or modify files.
Now the steps to make shortcut for dsl-on and dsl-off.I am explaining for dsl-on only as they are same(this is informal way for ease,i am accustomed to this practice!)
first download the icons attached in my post in this thread and move to directory /usr/share/pixmaps by opening nautilus as root(gksudo nautilus)
Next right click on ur panel or on Desktop right click "create Launcher".enter below details.also remember for dsl-off u have to make same thing but with command changed to "poff"
*iup.in/img/praka123/Screenshot-Create_Launcher.png
Now select icon by pressing "noicon" in launcher dialog.
*iup.in/img/praka123/Screenshot-Browse_icons.png
close.now there will be shortcut.I hope i explained clearly :(

OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
I cannot access the root. I have no PW for root. I loged as user. If I type in terminal
Code:
su -
it ask for PW. when I give user pw, msg appears authentication fail. but except terminal in other GUI wher pw required on that place user PW is ok. Also I cannot access the folder
/usr/share/pixmaps
. I cannot copy the icon onto the above folder.I cannot find this
For creating shortcut for on & off,right click on the top panel free space and press "Custom Application Launcher".
However I make two shortcut in the desktop but cannot change the icon.

praka123

left this forum longback
I forgot to say that now Ubuntu dont have root passwd set by default.that is good.that's why u cannot access /usr/share/pixmaps etc.as a local user ur allowed to work/own only the directory /home/username.that means ur Desktop too.
u have to replace with "sudo" in place of "su" and give ur local passwd.

I am in Debian Linux now.there is a custom application launcher for gnome-panel(the top or bottom task bar) in ubuntu too. in Desktop,u have to right click create launcher option.u can change already made shortcut by selecting the shortcut u made and right click properties.do explore urself.there are lot of other options too.

OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
At last I done the job. I changed the icon of DSL on.off. I tried to paset the Top pannel here for your view but I cannot do the job due to ignorance. As u did in thread page.

At last I am able to change the icon of DSL on/off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom