Need WIFI Router

sam222

Broken In
I need Wifi router to use my BSNL broadband to my devices - laptop and 2 Android phones

I use username and pass everytime to connect to internet from the desktop...So need an best possible wifi router that gives good signal n speed for 2400sq ft home..I Don't know about the router prices so make sure as low as possible...

And also tell me how to configure it...:razz:

Between Do i need to turn on my desktop pc to use wifi, as generally, i use UID and pass to connect to internet...

Thanks !!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it means your modem is already set in bridge mode(where you have to use userID/pass from pc every time to connect) & it is a good thing because now you just have to add wifi router & enter your bsnl ID/pass in its settings.for details see this:
All my useful articles and guides,courtesy of just4kix
see article no.10.procedure is similar.

some good wifi routers are:
TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

this one is a bit costlier but it has better range:
TP-LINK TL-WR941ND 300Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

pratyush997

Inactive
I need Wifi router to use my BSNL broadband to my devices - laptop and 2 Android phones

I use username and pass everytime to connect to internet from the desktop...So need an best possible wifi router that gives good signal n speed for 2400sq ft home..I Don't know about the router prices so make sure as low as possible...

And also tell me how to configure it...:razz:

Between Do i need to turn on my desktop pc to use wifi, as generally, i use UID and pass to connect to internet...

Thanks !!
1. How about switching to PPPoE (Always ON) Instead ?
and +1 for TP-LINK TL-WR941ND as suggested by Whitestar_999

OP
S

sam222

Broken In
it means your modem is already set in bridge mode(where you have to use userID/pass from pc every time to connect) & it is a good thing because now you just have to add wifi router & enter your bsnl ID/pass in its settings.for details see this:
All my useful articles and guides,courtesy of just4kix
see article no.10.procedure is similar.

some good wifi routers are:
TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

this one is a bit costlier but it has better range:
TP-LINK TL-WR941ND 300Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

Thanks mate..I'll stick with the first option.Will it have good range? how to check the range of the router.?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
can't say how much but 941ND has 3 antennas & they are detachable(denoted by D in model no.) meaning you can replace them with more powerful antenna in future to further boost signal so in a way it is kinda like a desktop pc which you can upgrade.841N has 2 fixed antennas & if i remember correctly @dashing.sujay posted that it works well across 2 floors & with some difficulty even at 3 floors but range also depends on design of house/nature of obstructions/construction material used etc.you can ask him about details of 841N or similar model.

edit:see this about range from someone who just bought 841N:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networkin...vs-tplink-8961nd-vs-asus-n10.html#post1841938

Thanks mate..I'll stick with the first option.Will it have good range? how to check the range of the router.?

see my above reply.it has a link to a user experience about 841N range.btw stick with bridge mode setup of modem because once you bought wifi router you can configure it in pppoe/dial mode so as soon as you turn on your modem & router you will be connected on any device connected to router(wired & wifi).

I got Modem in PPPoE and router on static IP (of modem) :confused:
if it works then good but i prefer 1st setup because it allows greater flexibility in opening ports on individual machines & hardware firewall of router.

Last edited:

mitraark

Decrepit
Also, a bit off topic query, i have an old desktop, if i wanted to use internet over wifi on it, will this thing do ?

TP-LINK 150 Mbps TL-WN721N Wireless N - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
:bump:
My local cablewala provide allways on internet connection. So what is the best cheapest router I can use? (Modem is not required.)
Edit:- Wireless and dd-wrt support.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
best wifi router(now B1 supports 3g usb dongle too) with no competition:
Asus RT-N13U B1 Wireless N with All-in-One Printer Server Router - Asus: Flipkart.com

Top Bottom