Need Urgent help with a new Pc build!!!

anaklusmos

Youngling
Hi all,
I'm building a gaming PC for the 1st time so i need some urgent help!

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Generic answers will not work. Be exact and avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gaming, movies (want to run all latest games like Shogun 2 , BF3 at ultra settings 1080p :p )

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 50-55k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Yes, but my 1st tym doing it....

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:win7 64bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:>1TB , but with current HDD prices anything is fine for some time.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:Yes, preferbly around 23' 1920x1080

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:have Razer KB,mouse, headphones, speakers
I can get the i5-2500k for around 9k for a few days only.....

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:as soon as possible

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:No, But i want to build it myself

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: In delhi, Yes from Nehru Place, and a local contact my father has, and no online is almost the last resort.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:I would very much like SLi/crossfire enabled mobo for future expansion.
Also i like the Z68 platform and would like it if a good one is possible ( plan to buy an SSd in 4-5 months if not possible now ).
Almost love the i5-2500k and the GTX 570 , if 7950 is out of budget :p)
Also, i am willing to consider Amd cpu/mobs if they do not affect my gaming performance and allow me to get sli/crossfire for future...

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
As AMD 7000 series is already released, I think you should wait for 1 month to get the GPU. You can get 7850/7870 available at that time. So skip the GPU for now. Also I don't think you can accommodate a 2500K processor, good Z68 motherboard with SLI/Crossfire support and a GTX 570 standard Gfx card within 55K. Here is an estimation of a good 2500K based config you've asked for:

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 12.5K
MSI Z68A-GD55 @ 10K
Gskill RipjawX 1600 MHz 4GB X 1 CL9 Ram @ 1.5K
Seagate 250GB SATA @ 3.2K
BenQ G2220HDL @ 7.5K
Corsair TX650 V2 @ 5.5K
CM 690 II Plus @ 4.8K
APC 1.1KVA UPS @ 4.3K

The total cost excluding the Graphics card is around 49/50K. With the rest of the 5K I don't think any high end Gfx card is possible.

So here is another AMD based config with budget for a high end Gfx card:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE @ 9K
GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 @ 9.5K (SLI/CF support @ X8-X8 mode)
Gskill RipjawX 1600 MHz 4GB X 1 CL9 Ram @ 1.5K
Seagate 250GB SATA @ 3.2K
BenQ G2220HDL @ 7.5K
Corsair TX650 V2 @ 5.5K
CM 690 II Plus @ 4.8K
APC 1.1KVA UPS @ 4.3K

Total is around 45K. So you're having another 10K in your hand for the Gfx card. So let us know whether you go with the AMD config or Intel based config with Non K series processor, motherboard.

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
If im willing to drop out the sli/cfx then is it possible to make something better?
Also is the amd config lacking in gaming performance wrt that of i5-2500k?

also is a ups very important?? coz i will keep this pc in a college hostel and power cuts are not frequent.... when the electricity goes it goes all together for about 3-4 hours and not intermittently.

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you're buying a Non K series Sandybridge then you can't overclock and for a non overclocking prospective the Intel board offers tremendous Value for money. It has decent build quality, USB 3.0 and Sata 3 6 Gbps ports and ATX form factor. So go with it and add a powerful Gfx card like GTX 560 Ti or HD 6950 2GB standard. Or you can wait for AMD to release a 7000 series Gfx card at 15K+ price point in the next month.

Minion

Conversation Architect
anaklusmos,Go with Cilus 2nd configuration this way you can get a powerful graphic card hence well balanced pc. 2ndly amd based motherboard are more feature rich than intel based board.

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
i wanted to know if im willing to drop sli/cfx from my rig will it make a price difference by much??
and also if i get a p67 mobo instead will i be able to use the intel hd graphics atleast to play some games till the new gpus come out??
and lastly, if i go for a p67 mobo instead will the price drop overall ?

thanks in advance :)

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
umm also i forgot to mention since im waiting for the 7950 to be launched i wantsome good integrated gpu like intel hd 3000 series, and probably i would have increased my budget by a bit till the next month so a little less room for the gpu from the total is possible.

YAY!!
my dad just told me that the i5-2500k is availible for 9k or so to him ( thru a contact :D )
and i can spend around 40k for the core build excluding gpu and ups so plz suggest accordingly now...

also on the off-side if i buy 2x 6870 cf will the microstuttering will be a problem?

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Edit our 1st post for PC Building question template as per the new requirements. Mention CPU as existing component as you're planning to get it separately at 9K.

devx

Back on TDF :)
Hey anaklusmos., from where you are getting i5 2500k for 9k., is it new ? or what., it's the least price i ever heard.,

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
Hey anaklusmos., from where you are getting i5 2500k for 9k., is it new ? or what., it's the least price i ever heard.,

Its not new..... my dad's friend has an extra one and is willing to give it for 9k :D
:D

arent the cases like corsair carbide 400R and nzxt tempest evo better ones for the same price??
plz answer someone...

Cilus

laborare est orare
Then here is the update:-

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 9K (2nd hand one)
Biostar TZ68K+ @ 7.58K
Gskill RipjawX 1600 MHz CL9 4GB X 1 DDR3 @ 1.6K or Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1-4G RAM HyperX 4GB 1600 MHz @ 1.5K
Seagate 250GB SATA HDD @ 3.3K
BenQ G2220HDL @ 7.5K
CM Elite 431 @ 3.4K
Seasonic SS-750JS 750W 80+ PSU @ 5.4K
APC 1.1 KVA Black @ 4.3K

Total is around 42.08K. With rest of the money, you can get a good Graphics card.

In this config, adjusted couple of components to give you better VFM components without compromising CPU, mobo and PSU.

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
Thanks a lot guys.... the build is almost fianalised :D
A few last questions:

1. If i can get the CM HAF 912, Corsair Carbide 400R, CM 690 II Plus which one will be the best and why?

2. Is the Seasonic SS-750JS 750W 80+ PSU @ 5.4K enough for a CF/SLI combo for future ?

3. I suppose MSI Z68A-GD55 is better than Biostar TZ68K+ ??

These changes i can do without exceeding my budget i hope coz it got a bit more flexible :D .

Piyush

Lanaya
A few last questions:

1. If i can get the CM HAF 912, Corsair Carbide 400R, CM 690 II Plus which one will be the best and why?
tough choice between HAF and Carbide
get anyone of them and it wont disappoint you
btw I'd have gone for Carbide
2. Is the Seasonic SS-750JS 750W 80+ PSU @ 5.4K enough for a CF/SLI combo for future ?
depend on which set of gfx cards you would be using
this PSU can handle 2*6950s or 2*560 with ease but not more than that
3. I suppose MSI Z68A-GD55 is better than Biostar TZ68K+ ??
better in what sense
well MSI is more ..well famous here as compared to Bio*, so one usually thinks to go for former
though in European countries as well as the States, biostar is equally reputed brand and is famous for delivering stable products

Cilus

laborare est orare
anaklusmos, if you're seriously thinking for Multi GPU setup in future then the MSI Z68A-GD55 is the best choice you got. The Biostar board has two PCI-E X16 slots running at X16-X4 speed. Hence only Crossfire is possible, Nvidia does not support SLI in X16-X4 mode. If very powerful cards like HD 7870 or HD 6950 is plugged in the X16 slot running at X4, there is a chance of bottleneck.

On the other hand GD55 has three X16 slots, running at X8-X8-X4, if three cards are plugged into it. It supports both SLI and Crossfire and there won't be any bottleneck. So take the decision as per your needs and future plans, not by seeing the feature is just there without any use for you.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
umm also i forgot to mention since im waiting for the 7950 to be launched i wantsome good integrated gpu like intel hd 3000 series, and probably i would have increased my budget by a bit till the next month so a little less room for the gpu from the total is possible.

YAY!!
my dad just told me that the i5-2500k is availible for 9k or so to him ( thru a contact :D )
and i can spend around 40k for the core build excluding gpu and ups so plz suggest accordingly now...

also on the off-side if i buy 2x 6870 cf will the microstuttering will be a problem?

excluding GPU and UPS my suggestion -

Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2500k|9000
Motherboard |MSI Z68A GD55 B3|10192
RAM |Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL|1650
HDD |Seagate 250GB 7200.12|3400
DVD Writer |ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD|1150
PSU |Seasonic SS-750JS 750W|5400
Case |NZXT Source 210 Elite White|2400
Monitor |Benq G2222HDL|7000
| Total |40092

that cabby is excellent. here it is available
NZXT Source 210 Elite White Steel with painted interior ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ Black Front Trim

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
anaklusmos, if you're seriously thinking for Multi GPU setup in future then the MSI Z68A-GD55 is the best choice you got. The Biostar board has two PCI-E X16 slots running at X16-X4 speed. Hence only Crossfire is possible, Nvidia does not support SLI in X16-X4 mode. If very powerful cards like HD 7870 or HD 6950 is plugged in the X16 slot running at X4, there is a chance of bottleneck.

On the other hand GD55 has three X16 slots, running at X8-X8-X4, if three cards are plugged into it. It supports both SLI and Crossfire and there won't be any bottleneck. So take the decision as per your needs and future plans, not by seeing the feature is just there without any use for you.

Yes Cilius i will do Cf/ sli in the futer for sure.... probably 1 year or so.

Top Bottom