need UPS which brand??

Status
Not open for further replies.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Great. From where you purchased it? I purchased an 800VA for 5200 last year september

Pretty strange its still costing 5400 in TheItWares

*www.theitwares.com/ups/ups.htm

This is the one I got. I got it from a shop in Nehru Place. Can get you the exact name once I get back home.

What is the product code or full name for the APC 650VA UPS ? 650 fits in my budget. Does 800 one have anything special other than extended backup?

This is the link for the 650VA.

This is the link for the 800VA. And this too.

When getting a UPS make sure you check the max throughput WATT support (efficiency) it gives.

1100VA:660W
800VA: 500W
650VA: 390W

The rule of thumb to calculate efficiency is ~60% of the VA rating. VA is volts into amps which equals WATTS. P = VA. So we may ask, if the UPS is rated at 1100VA why cannot the UPS support 1100W of equipment. Reason being energy conversion. There will be a loss of energy (and in our case ~ 40%). All electronic components have a resistance, which cause the loss in energy --- where does that energy go...well we 'feel' it as heat. The UPS getting hot...!

Basically when planning the UPS:

1. Max system requirement during load: MaxRequired
2. Max UPS efficiency watt output: UPSOutput
3. UpsOutput = MaxRequired + 30% of MaxRequied

This way you will be future scaled..

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ skud:

if ur PSU is an ACTIVE PFC type, then u shud get "SMART UPS" (pure sine wave UPS, correct for Active PFC PSUes) labelled UPS from APC and NOT "BACK UPS" (its stepped/modified sine wave UPS and a big no no for Active PFC PSU, if u are looking for a pure sine wave)
--------------------

my psu is cooler master RS-600-PCAR-E3 (or may be 650, can't remember properly). don't know if it's an active pfc type or not. plz comment.

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
@asigh, what is the running time for the backup UPS u got the 1100VA one,
my dad had bought this intex UPS for home and it is giving quiet a trouble now, it certainly would be quiet old too 2 years or so, not sure. if it gives me 30 mins of time it will be quiet good
config is
Bestec 300W PSU(70% performance)(not able to do anymore upgrades of HDD or gfx card due to this PSU, so just waiting for time to buy new PC)
Pentium D 820
2 SATA HDDs
DVD Burner

Beside these I run my ADSL router too attached in, in short long run time will be useful, as here in bangalore electricity is cut 2-3 times daily at fixed timings.

eureca_eureca

In the zone
Using apc my self for 6 yrs now , only battery change so far , and need no drivers to get connected to pc (win based)

Only APC please , Help line ROCKS

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@asigh, what is the running time for the backup UPS u got the 1100VA one,
my dad had bought this intex UPS for home and it is giving quiet a trouble now, it certainly would be quiet old too 2 years or so, not sure. if it gives me 30 mins of time it will be quiet good
config is
Bestec 300W PSU(70% performance)(not able to do anymore upgrades of HDD or gfx card due to this PSU, so just waiting for time to buy new PC)
Pentium D 820
2 SATA HDDs
DVD Burner

Beside these I run my ADSL router too attached in, in short long run time will be useful, as here in bangalore electricity is cut 2-3 times daily at fixed timings.

Backup:
LOAD : 5-6 mins.
IDLE : 18-20 mins.

Max Throughput: ~660W

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

for better wefficiency and back up time, the VA rating of the UPS (60%) shud corellate to the wattage of the PSU..

since u hv a 600W PSU, and a 500VA UPS, so 500VA x 60% (i.e 500 X 0.6 = 300W) and ur PSU is 600 W so therefore the reduced back up time.. :)

reniarahim1

Youngling
My UPS is also gone and I have decided to go for a new APC One. I would be connecting 19" Dell LCD , CPU(P4+845 Motherboard+Hard Disk+DVD Writer) and Broadband Modem to the UPS. Will a 500VA Will do Or Do i need to go for 650 VA one?
Wats the current cost of APC ES 500VA and APC ES 650VA?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Guys..if you read..here it is for APC: (its mentioned a couple of posts above)

1100VA:660W
800VA: 500W
650VA: 390W

Also as desibond has mentioned...throughput is ~60% of rated VA.

As for calculating Wattage Requirement:

Approximate figures would be: (LOAD)
Monitor : 30W (irrespective of load/idle)
Intell 45nm processor: 65W. Intel details can be sought here. You can directly type your model (example E7400) in the search bar, and get the Wattage).
RAM: 10-12W per module.
HDD: 12-15W per disc.
GPU: Depends -- check the review websites. Make sure sure you get the power draw 'only' for the GPU -- and not the whole system, it would obviously be different to your own setup. This is a major factor when deciding Power Requirements. High end cards (4870, 4890 GTX 275, GTX 285, in fact even nVidia GS series, HD4850 series require a lot of power at load).

Note for SLI/X-Fire:
Be extremelly careful, when buying PSU/UPS. With a 'normal' setup you can "live on the edge", meaning--you can have a UPS which matches exactly the PSU requirements and be safe. With multi-GPU it becomes really dynamic, cause the cards cause a lot of variation in system power pull. At times one is scaling, or both will...very sensitive.

Calculate your Wattage (on the upper limit -- meaning take the upper limit if you got to approximagte add 30% to the number you get). That should be your UPS requirement.

Also this is a good tool -- to get the ballpark figure.

Or another way to calulate it --- much simpler.

UPS = PSU Rating + 30% of PSU Rating.

Backup is usually 5-6 minutes under load and 15-20 minutes idle. Both these numbers come down, depending how close you are the the UPS throughput.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom