Need to upgrade my pc...

Swift

Broken In
Please suggest the following:

Mobo + Proccy for 7k
2 gb ram - around 2k
PSU for this system (this is my download machine so no gpu for gaming) - around 1k

Any help would be welcome...

Cilus

laborare est orare
Please suggest the following:

Mobo + Proccy for 7k
2 gb ram - around 2k
PSU for this system (this is my download machine so no gpu for gaming) - around 1k

Any help would be welcome...

The budget you have mentioned, AMD is the way to go. Here goes your suggestion:
Athlon II X2 250 3GHz @ 3K
Biostar TA785G A3 @ 3.7k

2GB Kingston/Transcend 1333 MHz DDR3 @ 2.2k
Local PSU like Odessy 600W/700W @ 0.8k
I think this config will be ok for a download machine. If you want further reduction in price then go for MSI GF615M-P33 motherboard @ 2.6k. It is based on Nvidia 6150SE chip-set and does not have IGP performance as the Biostar mobo.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
this is my download machine
You get routers with bittorrent/http/ftp download support these days. You also get those media players like xtremer's eTRAYz where you can use it as a torrent downloader. Hook it up with an external HD, set the downloads and you're done. You save power, heat and space. There are some hard drives with an ethernet port where you can make it into a downloader. Its best if you explore this option assuming you are looking for a 24/7 downloader. Its anyday better than buying a download rig and ending with scrap power supplies.

Last edited:
OP
S

Swift

Broken In
My dealer is recommending this...

Proccy - AMD Phenom II X2 550
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P

Should i go with this??

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
no need to get phenom II 550 and avoid those cheap good for nothing boards like GA-M68M-S2P

get
Athlon II x2 250 @ 3k
Gigabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2 @ 2.7k
2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 2.3k
FSP saga II 350W @ 1.5k
Total - 9.5k

Last edited:
OP
S

Swift

Broken In
Okay, so i'll go with the AMD X2 250 and the RAM and PSU r also fine....
but i m still undecided regarding the mobo, so please give some more suggestions or help me select from the ones already mentioned here..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ as no gaming, so search for a AM3 mobo & get going with it. can use Nvidia based one but the mobo suggested by jassy thats based on 740G is far better. also build quality is considerably better.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
If you are going to use this machine solely for downloading purpose, I'd suggest going for Sempron processor. There's only one model available for around 1.7-1.8k. Very cool and energy efficient. will save you around 1k.

the media player types suggested by the sorcerer is a good option but I don't think they are going to work out cheaper. They can be considered if you would only download movies and/or TV shows and not many games/software. Also, if you have a full HD LCD TV at home, they would be a good option as they provide good connectivity options and codec compatibility. Very good for a home theater setup.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@cool buddy
athlon II x2 250 is also very cool and energy efficient and well within his budget. moreover celeron 430 is better than sempron 140 in energy efficiency.
also i dont see any reason to go for a single core these days. there is some multithreading in most of the apps.

OP
S

Swift

Broken In
ok... so i'll be gettin

Athlon II x2 250
Gigabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2
2GB DDR3 1333MHz
and i'll have to go to chandigarh for the smps...

thanks for the help guys....

pegasus

Journeyman
Only downloading or will it be used for other purposes too?
ASUS WL-520GU :smile:
ASUS WL-520gU as torrent downloader

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
@jaskanwar
yes, athlons are energy efficient, but by a downloading rig it means that it may remain switched on 24x7. So every watt saved matters. Moreover, I wanted to say that by saving 1k he may go for a more efficient PSU like Corsair CX400 which will be around 85-86% efficient at that power consumption level thus saving him something extra on the electricity bill. However, I didn't write this in my previous post as i thought people might not have a very positive feeling about this suggestion!

And anyways, what's the use of getting a dual core on a download rig? have you ever seen the CPU Usage of uTorrent? It's nothing. and I'm sure that's what runs on a download rig. 2.7 Ghz will be enough to handle downloading.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@jaskanwar
yes, athlons are energy efficient, but by a downloading rig it means that it may remain switched on 24x7. So every watt saved matters. Moreover, I wanted to say that by saving 1k he may go for a more efficient PSU like Corsair CX400 which will be around 85-86% efficient at that power consumption level thus saving him something extra on the electricity bill. However, I didn't write this in my previous post as i thought people might not have a very positive feeling about this suggestion!

And anyways, what's the use of getting a dual core on a download rig? have you ever seen the CPU Usage of uTorrent? It's nothing. and I'm sure that's what runs on a download rig. 2.7 Ghz will be enough to handle downloading.

thats a good point raised by you cool buddy:).
yes i agree that corsair will yield better savings.
also by multithreading i meant we need a os also along with those apps. so it will be somewhat faster but getting cx400w is a better option now.

Top Bottom