Need to study Fedora for College...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my college needs me to use fedora for linux related stuff.
I guess that means I have to postpone my gentoo installation until later.

So please suggest me what to do. Here they use fedora gnome edition so I have no choice but to use it as much as I dislike gnome. I mostly need advice on 32bit vs 64bit and some good starting points where I can pick up an advanced fedora user's guide.

Finally, I am preparing for RHCE examinations. So I need resources for that too. Is fedora enough for RHCE studying ? I wouldn't be going to any coaching classes BTW.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
You college teaches Linux in the first year itself? :shock: Lucky dude!

Go for the 64bit version. As such for learning 32bit v 64bit doesn't make any difference.

Beginning Fedora From Novice to Professional by Apress is a decent book IMHO.

But I wonder why other distros wont serve the purpose? Are they using Red Hat specific tools? I can't imagine them teaching any more than basic bash and somethinh about GNOME.

And I am waiting the answer to RHCE question too.

Them teaching Fedora in 1st year is the reason I took Amrita University :D

Anyway, I'm thinking of using it via my 2GB pendrive. Is it OK ? I'm thinking of installing it in a pendrive, so are there any pendrive optimized modes ? Obviously I will be using EXT2 file system since a journal is not good for flash memory.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Using Linux native partitions is not really needed. (though indeed they are better :D) IIRC...

See this:
*fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo
*www.pendrivelinux.com/install-fedora-9-to-a-flash-drive-using-windows/

Personally I am biased to Slax on a pen drive, but since your learning requires Fedora, so be it. :p

Offtopic:
BTW What other subjects do you guys study? I see you lot being taught CS related subjects on the word go. That's very good. Only university I know does this is IIIT-D.

Using Linux native partitions is not really needed. (though indeed they are better :D) IIRC...

See this:
*fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo
*www.pendrivelinux.com/install-fedora-9-to-a-flash-drive-using-windows/

For simple reasons I prefer EXT2:

1. Better performance than FAT16 or FAT32
2. I don't give a SH!T about windows compatibility

But yeah, if it works properly with sensible usage of my 486mb swap and 977GB RAM, I'm all in for it.

Personally I am biased to Slax on a pen drive, but since your learning requires Fedora, so be it. :p

I dislike Slax because of KDE. KDE on a pendrive is a serious NO for me. I prefer Xfce on them. Here I need to use gnome 'cause there is no alternative.

And I could as well use archlinux instead of slackware. But I want to also prepare for RHCE exams.

Offtopic:
BTW What other subjects do you guys study? I see you lot being taught CS related subjects on the word go. That's very good. Only university I know does this is IIIT-D.

In first year we concentrate mainly on standard common engineering subjects and general subjects.

Like Comm English, Electrical Engg, Engg Mechanics, Engg Physics, Engg Chemistry, Engg Mathematics, Workshop lab, Engg Drawing, Cultural Edu, etc. (I _hate_ the last two).

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I dislike Slax because of KDE. KDE on a pendrive is a serious NO for me. I prefer Xfce on them. Here I need to use gnome 'cause there is no alternative.
You can use Xfce or LXDE in Slax by installing those modules. I haven't tried those though.

In first year we concentrate mainly on standard common engineering subjects and general subjects.

Like Comm English, Electrical Engg, Engg Mechanics, Engg Physics, Engg Chemistry, Engg Mathematics, Workshop lab, Engg Drawing, Cultural Edu, etc. (I _hate_ the last two).
As most do. Engg Drawing is a Sh!tty subject, period. :|

You can use Xfce or LXDE in Slax by installing those modules. I haven't tried those though.

But it wouldn't serve my purpose would it ? ;-)

Anyway, both links speak about fedora's own live usb creator. Any way to do it through unetbootin ?

As most do. Engg Drawing is a Sh!tty subject, period. :|

Hell yeah. Just 2x2 credits for both semesters put together and yet I need to break my head over this dumb subject. :(

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
don't understand why you have to migrate to fedora.
Stick to ARCH, that's what you were using right ?!! Or go with Gentoo.

In my college they use Fedora, and most of the guys use Ubuntu at home. And i use Arch.

don't understand why you have to migrate to fedora.
Stick to ARCH, that's what you were using right ?!! Or go with Gentoo.

In my college they use Fedora, and most of the guys use Ubuntu at home. And i use Arch.
Dude seriously, I'm NOT migrating. I'm just learning. There is a difference between the two. Till I get a complete hardware upgrade, ArchLinux i686 on EXT4 would be my main OS.

mediator

Technomancer
@mhg

1. Become a saint and stop disliking anything be it gnome. :D
2. Coaching classes are highly recommended
3. Yes, fedora is enough to prepare for RHCE.
4. IMO, Documentation from Redhat site is more than enough.

Ecstasy

a.k.a VipER
When I installed Fedora I used to check out their forums for detailed information. Their forum is super cool and the members and the mods are really friendly.

From 2nd year I have an option of joining into CCNA in a course conducted within my college. Do you think doing RHCE and CCNA both in 2nd year will be a bit too tough ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom