Need suggestions on upgrading RAM

ajayritik

Technomancer
I currently have the following Configuration
1 GB DDR2
2.13 Ghz Core2Duo
DG965 RY Motherboard
80 GB IDE HDD

I'm thinking should I upgrade my RAM from 1 GB to more. The thing that is playing on my mind is maybe in an year's time I may upgrade to an altogether new Rig so would this become redundant with new DDR3 ram available now.

Kindly advise. Also I have one single RAM stick of 1 GB. So not sure if I have to go with two 1 GB RAM memory modules or one 2 GB memory module.

Planning to install Windows 7 soon.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Buy a 2nd hand 1GB RAM for cheap, you just need it for a year's time after all.

Even I was thinking about the same. But I was wondering with me having Dual Slots for RAM. I may have to purchase same RAM i.e. wrt brand speed etc?

How much would a new 1 GB DDR2 RAM cost?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
get Transcend or Kingston Ram. 2 GB will cost your around ~1.2k and 1GB will be around ~0.75k ;-)

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
get 2nd hand dram bro...the dual channel stuff is more of a gimmick than of actual use...and prices posted by topgear seem to be accurate...but ddr2 is becoming dearer every passing day...

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
get 2nd hand dram bro...the dual channel stuff is more of a gimmick than of actual use.

triple-channel is, dual channel is no BS.

And yeah, as suggested, grab a 2nd hand module if possible.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
triple-channel is, dual channel is no BS.
I didn't get this part. What were you trying to convey?

Also the thing is I want to install Windows 7 and one of my friends was suggesting I get additional 2 GB RAM to existing 1 GB RAM. So I need to check if I have to go for 1 GB RAM or 2 GB RAM.

What do you all suggest?

agyaat

Broken In
Even I was thinking about the same. But I was wondering with me having Dual Slots for RAM. I may have to purchase same RAM i.e. wrt brand speed etc?

How much would a new 1 GB DDR2 RAM cost?

Also the thing is I want to install Windows 7 and one of my friends was suggesting I get additional 2 GB RAM to existing 1 GB RAM. So I need to check if I have to go for 1 GB RAM or 2 GB RAM.

What do you all suggest?

Depends on the Frequency of the RAM. Windows 7 requires quite a good amount of memory, so advisable to opt for more RAM:D. I believe you're already experiencing a slow system as it is.

Also, check with the Intel site on the mobo. It will advise what configs of RAM are possible on the board.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard

What do you all suggest?

He said dual channel is gimmick.

I said Dual channel is no BS(bullshit), triple channel, IS

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on the Frequency of the RAM. Windows 7 requires quite a good amount of memory, so advisable to opt for more RAM:D. I believe you're already experiencing a slow system as it is.

Also, check with the Intel site on the mobo. It will advise what configs of RAM are possible on the board.

^^ I agree with you.

though he is getting a new rig after a couple of months he should get a new 2GB stick for his old rig ;-)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
He said dual channel is gimmick.

I said Dual channel is no BS(bullshit), triple channel, IS

Well I thought we use the term bullshit to describe something which is not good or which is crap. For example if I buy some pair of earphones and they went bad in very short time. Then I could describe them as being bull ****. However I have never heard any time describing any thing as it is no Bullshit, which may imply that it is good. So kindly let me know if you are trying to say Dual channel is good and triple is not good something like that. I'm getting confused with the term no BS

Guys do you think with this option of Memory boost available in Vista and Windows7 I can manage by using my Pen Drive as additional RAM?

Last edited:

Souro_Ray

In the zone
Pen drive as additional RAM? I dont get it... Pen drives are data storage devices.. How can a pen drive be used as additional RAM?

tkin

Back to school!!
Pen drive as additional RAM? I dont get it... Pen drives are data storage devices.. How can a pen drive be used as additional RAM?
Not ram, win vista and 7 has an option to use pen drive to load some files at start up to decrease boot time. Its not a ram.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

to know the details you better read this ;-)
Understand ReadyBoost and whether it will Speed Up your System

Souro_Ray

In the zone
Damn, i'm way behind on some tech... I never upgraded to Vista after all the negativity i heard about it. I'm still an XP Pro user, so lol all you want.. :p

Anyway, thanks a bunch for setting my head straight tkin and topgear... Cheers

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Sorry for bumping into an old thread. Wanted to check whether I should go for new or old RAM.
Kindly suggest.

Top Bottom