Need suggestions on upgrading RAM

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ as I said before get another stick of 2GB DDR2 ram ( match the speed and latency with the OLD 1GB ram module ) and glide with win 7 ;-)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^ as I said before get another stick of 2GB DDR2 ram ( match the speed and latency with the OLD 1GB ram module ) and glide with win 7 ;-)

Sorry for being noob. But how can I check the speed and latency of the existing RAM. Is should be printed on the RAM Stick right?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for being noob. But how can I check the speed and latency of the existing RAM. Is should be printed on the RAM Stick right?

use cpu-z app to know the speed and latency of the existing ram module - it would be better if you can post the screen shot of memory and SPD tab of cpu-z app;-)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
use cpu-z app to know the speed and latency of the existing ram module - it would be better if you can post the screen shot of memory and SPD tab of cpu-z app;-)

*img253.imageshack.us/img253/3309/ram1i.jpg

*img35.imageshack.us/img35/7357/ram2f.jpg

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
ur ram is 800mhz DDR2 having latencies 5-5-5-18 & i think any value ram of kingston or transcend will match with that

Minion

Conversation Architect
I didn't get this part. What were you trying to convey?

Also the thing is I want to install Windows 7 and one of my friends was suggesting I get additional 2 GB RAM to existing 1 GB RAM. So I need to check if I have to go for 1 GB RAM or 2 GB RAM.

What do you all suggest?

Go for 2gb Ram it will ensure smooth running of application and games since ddr2 ram are getting dearer day by day buy the maximum amount of ram you can afford.and you need not have to upgrade whole system at all your system is fine.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
ur ram is 800mhz DDR2 having latencies 5-5-5-18 & i think any value ram of kingston or transcend will match with that
I see in the screenshot the Max bandwidth as 400 MHz. However you are saying 800 mhZ Is it the m factor?
Go for 2gb Ram it will ensure smooth running of application and games since ddr2 ram are getting dearer day by day buy the maximum amount of ram you can afford.and you need not have to upgrade whole system at all your system is fine.

When I purchase it from a store what are the things that I should have in mind?
How much do you all think 2 GB RAM would cost?
I know brands like Dynet etc will cost less compared to Transcend etc.
Do I have to buy same Transcend brand and what speed?

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
I see in the screenshot the Max bandwidth as 400 MHz. However you are saying 800 mhZ Is it the m factor?

Yes buddy it is a factor of 2 ;-) DDR means double data rate so the 400Mhz Ram will run at 800 speed & this speed will be listed in the product packaging

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
Kingston 2GB DDR2 @ 400MHz. It was bought about 15 or 16 months ago.

PRICE - Rs. 1k

Tell me where do you live?
I live in Delhi.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Kingston 2GB DDR2 @ 400MHz. It was bought about 15 or 16 months ago.

PRICE - Rs. 1k

Tell me where do you live?
I live in Delhi.

I live in Hyderabad. How much would this cost now?

Yes buddy it is a factor of 2 ;-) DDR means double data rate so the 400Mhz Ram will run at 800 speed & this speed will be listed in the product packaging

Buddy sorry for being noob. Can you please tell me when I purchase this new set of RAM stick what should I say for the Speed etc?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
just tell the seller to give you 2GB DDR2 800 Mhz ram module - you can check the speed and latency of the ram module - just look carefully at the box/case or on the sticker on the ram module - there 800 and C5/CL5 or something like that will be written ;-)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys a small update I was able to get hold of another 2 GB RAM stick from my cousin. However I wrongly told him that my current RAM Speed is 667 so he gave me 2 GB 667 Mhz RAM. Now when I try to connect these both one of the RAM is not getting recognized.
As mentioned by someone here and also by my cousin we can't combine two different speed RAM's together.

Should I go for 2 sticks of 2 GB RAM each or 1 stick of 2 GB RAM and 1 Stick of 1 GB RAM. I'm asking based on whether any of these combination will give problem.

Kindly advise.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two different speed ram modules can work together - the speedy ram module will match the speed of lower speed ram module to retain compatibility.

You are facing incompatibility because of latency mismatch or else make sure both of them are fine by mounting on ram module at a time.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
You are facing incompatibility because of latency mismatch or else make sure both of them are fine by mounting on ram module at a time.
I tried having each put in the slot and when I have them independently put in the slot they are working.

My only concern is since these are of two different speeds will that effect in anyway. If not then I will try to connect both of them at the same time.

Top Bottom