Need suggestions on upgrading RAM

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried having each put in the slot and when I have them independently put in the slot they are working.

My only concern is since these are of two different speeds will that effect in anyway. If not then I will try to connect both of them at the same time.

if they are working together there's will be no negative effect but as you've told they are not running together ( the most probable reason latency/timing mismatch ) you can do not much here.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Sorry guys for bumping into an old thread.
Now I have two stick of 2 GB RAM with speed of 667 Mhz. Will these work?
Will Latency be a factor?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ most probably they will work fine .. just test them together or else install just one and post a CPU-z SPD tab info - do the same for another ram module.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Ok guys was finally able to insert the two 2GB RAM Sticks of 667 Mhz. However when I reboot the system I get the message
Memory in cahnnel B. Maximum memory performance is achieved with equal amounts of memory installed in each cahnnel.
maximum memory performance is achived with matched DIMMs.
the installed amount of memory in channel A is not equal to the amount of memory size decrease.'

Any ideas?
It currently shows 3.2 GB RAM on system properties!

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^ are you using the 800 Mhz ram module along with 2x 2GB 667 Mhz ram modules ?

No BRO as mentioned both are 2GB and of the same speed that is 667. Wondering what could be the problem.
I have four slots. Two blue colored and Two Black colored. When I put one in blue and the other in black it's recognizing only one. However if I insert two I get the message mentioned above and Total RAM showing as 3.2 GB

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ are you using the 800 Mhz ram module along with 2x 2GB 667 Mhz ram modules ?

@OP: Use two same frequency modules in same channel and different frequency modules in different channels.
Dual channel setup meant for two different set of RAM kits.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
No BRO as mentioned both are 2GB and of the same speed that is 667. Wondering what could be the problem.
I have four slots. Two blue colored and Two Black colored. When I put one in blue and the other in black it's recognizing only one. However if I insert two I get the message mentioned above and Total RAM showing as 3.2 GB

Did you installed memory modules like this : ( here's the crrect config )

1st blue mem slot ( closet to the cpu socket ) : Put a 2GB DDr2 667 Mhz module.
1st Black mem slot : Put a 2GB DDr2 667 Mhz module for Dual channel.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
@OP: Use two same frequency modules in same channel and different frequency modules in different channels.
Dual channel setup meant for two different set of RAM kits.
Since both are same frequency I guess I need to put them in same color slot which I did.

Did you installed memory modules like this : ( here's the crrect config )

1st blue mem slot ( closet to the cpu socket ) : Put a 2GB DDr2 667 Mhz module.
1st Black mem slot : Put a 2GB DDr2 667 Mhz module for Dual channel.

Yep I did the same way.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - even if you install win 7 x64 you won't be able to use all of the 4GB ram - you need to have a discrete gfx card for that.

maddy

Journeyman
it will in case of gaming,copying,dvd burning, and so on........ :p at least from 2gb to 4gb you will see difference easily on your own windows 7 x64 is better with 4gb :)
but as topgear said you better have gfx card in case of win 7 x64

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
@ OP - even if you install win 7 x64 you won't be able to use all of the 4GB ram - you need to have a discrete gfx card for that.

Can you give me more inputs on this? You saying I will still get 3.2 GB RAM shown even after I install 64 Bit OS?

maddy

Journeyman
what he is trying to tell here
if you are having on board gfx which uses some part of your ram as graphic memory example 256/512/1 gb then that much ram will be reserved for graphic use only and in windows system settings you will get remaining ram shown as your total ram
in your case you install 4 gb ram your on board graphic card is having 512 MB memory requirement set in bios then even with windows 7 x64 you can see 3.5 GB ram available for you as remaining 512 MB ram acts as your on board graphic card memory
if you install a graphic card (discrete gfx card) then that card have its own memory (RAM) and your on board graphic will not be in use as you got proper gfx card
so you will get full 4 GB of ram available for windows
i think this will explain you everything :p

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Can you give me more inputs on this? You saying I will still get 3.2 GB RAM shown even after I install 64 Bit OS?

Ah! You don't have graphics card?
I thought that you have one. :-?
If you don't have graphics card, then iGPU of processor use some par of RAM as a shared memory for display purpose. You can define the amount of memory consumed in BIOS. By default it is st at 512MB in most of the BIOS.

Top Bottom