need suggestion about oc

Hi! my cpu configuration is below--
amd athlon x2 260 3.2 ghz proceesor
4gb starlite ddr3 1333 ram
gigabyte 78lmts2p motherboard
iball lpe223-400 smps
lg l1515s tft monitor

as suggested by the other members ,i bought the 6670 1gb ddr5 today!

i think my processor is bottlenecked by the gpu..
what does overclocking the cpu do?how does it help?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
nope. your processor is sufficient for the GPU. you need to raise the FSB (or the HyperTransport link). It should be 200Mhz by default. Increase it by 5Mhz until your system becomes unstable. But if you can change the PSU. That will help maintain stability even under tight overclock. I think you can increase clock to 3.5Ghz. you'll need a HT of 218-220Mhz. just lower the memory divider so that ram clock doesn't goes up.

Usually even these value ram remain stable upto 1400Mhz or more.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ AMD Athlon II and Phenom II series cpus Memory Controller ain't designed to run over with mem speed of 1333Mhz - so Op better stick to 1333Mhz ram speed and for OCing a better PSu and a good after market cooler is must have IMO.

Cilus

laborare est orare
No overclocking with the local PSU. Also your processor, running at 3.2 GHz is capable enough to handle the GPU.

topgear, default memory speed for even 1st gen Core series (Nehalem) processors are also 1333 MHz but that doesn't mean it can't run high speed memory modules. All you need to do is just increase the memory multiplier to 4 if your mobo doesn't have XMP profile detection. I got that information from you when I got the XMS3, remember?

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Bodhisatwa - Upgrade ur PSU 1st as Cilus said. - Extremely Important, Ico also suggested you to do that but ur just ignoring this. Remember if your PSU dies it can & will take the mobo,cpu,memory,hdd with it.... njoi! :)

About OC - dont do it on local PSU. and ur GPU is not bottlenecking ur CPU....... IF you overclock you will see increased performance of ur PC, this will also reflect in games you play with higher fps. You could probably OC to a stable 3.7GHz on stock cooler @~65 deg C...

OP
B

Bodhisatwa

Gunner
what did you mean by--on stock cooler @~65 deg C... ??

i am not ignoring it.. i just dont have much money left after buying the gpu..i have a maximum of rs.1000...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
No overclocking with the local PSU. Also your processor, running at 3.2 GHz is capable enough to handle the GPU.

topgear, default memory speed for even 1st gen Core series (Nehalem) processors are also 1333 MHz but that doesn't mean it can't run high speed memory modules. All you need to do is just increase the memory multiplier to 4 if your mobo doesn't have XMP profile detection. I got that information from you when I got the XMS3, remember?

I remember.

didn't get what you said :-?

but read this :

VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING AMD AM3 CPU's and RAM SPEEDS

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT:

If you do manage to get your RAM running over 1333 Mhz., your system can appear to be fine and might even pass Memtest and other benchmarking utilities successfully. However, AMD have discovered that, in certain scenarios, the system may fall over after a period of use, depending on system usage and if you are stressing the CPU. This normally indicates a problem with the Memory Controller and you may need to replace your CPU if this happens.

Excessively increasing voltages to the RAM and/or CPU in an effort to improve system stability could cause the Memory Controller to fail.

so after reading that I've changed my mind.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ WHOA !!! thanks a lot. never knew about the ram problem. you surely seem to have done some nice digging ;)

so its best to keep the ram @ stock frequency by changing the memory divider?

OP
B

Bodhisatwa

Gunner
Then i think i should wait..btw can you guys suggest any cpu cooling devices(like fan etc) which i can fit in my system??..at a low price..

saswat23

Human Spambot
See if you can find the FSP SAGA-II 350W. It will cost around 1.5k. Quite sufficient for your rig.

The cheapest solution of a good CPU fan is CM Hyper TX-3. Its costs around 1.2k. But you dont need it. Stock cooler is sufficient.

dibya_kol

In the zone
A 350wt psu won't help much if u were planning to oc. And @OP, what makes u think that ur cpu is bottlenecking ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
FSP Saga II 350W has 300W output power ( 25A ) on +12v rail which is enough for OCing a X2 260 like cpu around ~3.6-3.8 Ghz along with a HD6670.

Top Bottom