Solo

Broken In
My HP Pavilion Current Spec:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2666 MHz
Total Memory 6143 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 210
HP w2007 Wide LCD Monitor
700GB Hard drive

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: To be able to run games like witcher 2, skyrim, GTAIV, COD, Battlefield, MWF, basically all the new releases at smooth playable FPS (30 and up). I run much audio editing programs, itunes, chrome, FL studio, winrar and minor application in the background such as AVG security and tuneup utilities.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 500$

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Window 7 64 bits Home Premium

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: N/A

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: My monitor resolution is 1680x1050. I'm fine with this monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Hard drive, mouse, keyboard, speakers, modem, router.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: I'm trying to upgrade individual components as soon as possible.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I've custom build my HP-Pavilion Desktop in 08.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in NYC, but prefer to buy online, pacifically amazon.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: What do you guys think about the "SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card"? Is it a good buy in my current specs.

I'll happily give more information about my PC.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Component | Make | Price (US$) Processor |AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE|165
Motherboard |Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H (rev. 3.1)|77
RAM |G-skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT(4Gx1)|29
Graphic Card |SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5|170
PSU |Corsair CX500V2|57
Case |NZXT Source 210 Elite|50
| Total |548

It is overshooting your budget but you can lower it down by buying a 955 or 960 Phenom Processor , also what make & model RAM do you currently have if it is some good DDR3 then you probably can re use it.

Also pls tell the Company , Model of your PSU .

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
That's bit overboard. My budget is actually 400$ and maximum is 500$. PSU you mean power supply usage? The company is HP.

Desktop & all-in-one PCs | HP Official Store

Well what do you think really needs upgrading the most? I been told my processor is good. As for the ram I know its DDR3 but I'm going to open on my PC to get more information. I was planning to buy a 8GB chip. My PC has 8GB but does not recognize the other 2GB hence it's 6GB, so I need one 8Gb chip which are expensive.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Solo, I don't think you need a full system upgrade right now. Your Processor is quite powerful and 6 GB Ram is more than enough to handle all the apps. So better get a good Graphics card along with a good PSU.

Get the following components:-

XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 @ $230
Newegg.com - XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Corsair TX 750 V2 @ $105

Total: $335

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
+1 for Cilus's recommendation

Just Upgrade your Graphics Card , everything other than that looks fine and be sure to get a modular PSU -(TX750M at 115USD)
*www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-...FODI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329646925&sr=8-1

Sapphire HD 6950 2GB at 252USD
Amazon.com: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 100312-2SR: Electronics

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
My PC wizard friend fixed me up. I was worried that the video card wouldn't fit in my desktop because it's quite a large video card thus he clarified it. Yes I purchased the video card. I really need it, thanks guys for feedback especially that comment from Cilus... You hit the nail right on the head :)
rajatGod512 I understand the graphic card but before I buy "Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply" why do I really need this? Tell me whats wrong with my desktop power supply. Elaborate please.

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
Also:

Amazon.com: SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card: Electronics

or

Amazon.com: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 100312-2SR: Electronics

Your thoughts? They seem the same to me... And the extra 1GB worth it?

Comparing both

Radeon HD 6870 vs Radeon HD 6950 2GB – Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare

The sums up slightly more FPS.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ HD6950 is lot more better and has the to potential to unlock into a HD6970 and some of the ( and more coming in future ) will just eat 2GB vram and might even need more;-)

Mr.V

Journeyman
Core 2 quad is pretty powerful cpu.So jus upgrade the graphics! :)
HD6950 is even faster than GTX560 Ti so it makes a better deal! :)

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
@Solo that PSU is more future proof , so if you want to Crossfire in future it wouldnt give you any problem and would work fine , its build quality is good and its got good reviews also it is modular which means you can put only the cables which you require and you wont have to find some place to hide your PSU cables , you can use what you need.

HD 6950 VS HD 6870 (1680x1050)
*media.bestofmicro.com/Y/M/313582/original/amd%20high%201680.png

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
I'm convicted now:
*www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-S...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329646968&sr=1-4

It's the way to go, but what do you guys think about this one:
*www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-S...66A4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329741388&sr=8-2

Same model (maybe a bit larger with dual fan), 50$ bucks more and seems to get more attention and reviews.

So let me get this straight. In terms of upgrade, first priority is one of these bad boys graphic card :chinscratch:
and I do not have to buy a power supply as soon as possible, but it's recommend that I purchase one thus replace.

To address a mistake, my 6GB ram is DDR2 (2x1GB stick & 2x2GB stick). My processor which came with my custom build PC four years ago still amazes me. At the time it was superb and as of today it still is. Here is my performance information:
<center>
Component: What is rated Subscore: Base Score
Processor calculation per sec 7.2 4.8
Memory (RAM) memory operational per sec 7.2 Determined by
Graphic Desktop performance 4.8 lowest subscore
Gaming Graphics 3D business and gaming 5.8
Primary hard disk disk transfer rate 5.9
</center>

This is to further proof how bad I need a graphic card upgrade hehe smh

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in my opinion do not take risks by trying to run a core2quad+6950 powered by a HP provided PSU.i am not a gamer but this much i know even i wouldn't dare to run a 6950 on anything less than a seasonic 520W.

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
@ whitestar_999 Do you have a general idea of what graphic card can run with my HP PSU? Moreover will the "SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics" Card do?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
you may get this -
Amazon.com: MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 Twin Frozer III PE/OC - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cores) PCI-E 16X Graphics Card: Electronics

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
you may get this -
Amazon.com: MSI N560GTX-Ti 448 Twin Frozer III PE/OC - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cores) PCI-E 16X Graphics Card: Electronics

I must admit I get the feeling Nvidia is a good choice for my PC/GPU because it was build with a Nvidia card and also has this none removable sticker on the desktop case!

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
Look at this graphic card:

In

Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - Notebookcheck.net Tech

This graphic card is absolutely amazing!
only negative is running Metro 2033 at 22 FPS at Ultra Settings, which is all in all not bad at all.

So I went ahead and purchased the "SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card" I got a good hunch about this card. Should arrive by the 22nd, the same date the playstation vita is going to be release. I'll definitely keep all those suggested graphic cards in my wish list. Furthermore I'll inform y'all about my experience with the card!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
on the side of PSU there is a label showing a table having columns +12V(or +12V1 & +12V2),+5V & +3.3V.values under these are in Amperes like 20A under +12V etc.multiply the ampere value with +V column under which it is listed(like 20A under +12V=20*12=240W).in case of +12V1 & +12V2 use same method & add resultant 2 values to get total watt at +12V.rule of thumb is total power at +12V should be more than the total power consumption of cpu+gpu+hdd+dvd drive.

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
I just find out that my power supply is only 350 watts! I'm a bit confused, maybe I don't, but I don't want to run the risks. If this is correct:

AMD Radeon? HD 6870 graphics

I guess need a buy a new power supply pronto.

To get one thing straight.

This: Amazon.com: SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card: Electronics

with: Amazon.com: Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-750TXV2: Electronics

No conflict right? It is a 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors as this graphic card

AMD Radeon? HD 6870 graphics

requires?

P.S.
my System Model
*h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docume...0962/loc:2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3832294

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
get seasonic which is better & in fact many corsair psu's are just rebranded seasonic units.btw 750W can even handle 6950 comfortably with your system.for a 6870 anything 500w or above is sufficient.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
a 750W PSu for HD6870 is just overkill - a 500W PSu like corsair CX500v2 is enough to run this gfx card ;-)

Top Bottom