Need Opinions To Upgrade

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
a 750W PSu for HD6870 is just overkill - a 500W PSu like corsair CX500v2 is enough to run this gfx card ;-)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure I buy a 500-600 Seasonic PSU. By looking at a few reviews on amazon about Seasonic PSU's ... All I see is 5 star to 4.5 ratings! (expectantly) which is good and a rare sight. After this upgrade there will be no more upgrade for my desktop, instead I'll save up for a new PC. This time custom build from cyberpc or such. I will go buy the PSU in micro center promptly when the graphic card arrives. Once again thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, seasonic is a very good brand and makes high quality psus so you can count on seasonic ;-)

BTW, if you have zeroed in on any specific seasonic psu do let us know the model no.

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
yep, seasonic is a very good brand and makes high quality psus so you can count on seasonic ;-)

BTW, if you have zeroed in on any specific seasonic psu do let us know the model no.

Eh, I was planning to go micro center tomorrow, where you can pretty much get everything you need for your computer. Now that I think about it, I should of bought my graphic card there. Too late now, my newly purchased SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphic card should come tomorrow, but not promise tomorrow. I simply will go to micro center and grab the first seasonic 500-600 PSU I see. I will take take photos of the some of the replacing process.

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
Guys I bought this power: Seasonic X-Series 660W Modular Power Supply
Seasonic X-Series 660W Modular Power Supply - Bjorn3D.com

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys I bought this power: Seasonic X-Series 660W Modular Power Supply
Seasonic X-Series 660W Modular Power Supply - Bjorn3D.com

congrats ;-)

BTW, if Indian TDF members want to grab it, they can look here ;-)
SeaSonic X660 (SS-660KM) 660W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91, 80Plus Gold Certified, Active PFC Power Supply

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
congrats ;-)

BTW, if Indian TDF members want to grab it, they can look here ;-)
SeaSonic X660 (SS-660KM) 660W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91, 80Plus Gold Certified, Active PFC Power Supply

Roger that.

I went through blood, sweat and tears with the instillation. It was more complicated then anticipated due to the desktop tower and it's outdated motherboard. I end up discarding my internal optical dvd drive and getting a external dvd drive from Samsung. Since my desktop has little space, this is ideal. Furthermore it seems my desktop was build to not take kindly to customization. Take a look, I'll let the picture do the talking.

*i.imgur.com/Xb60J.jpg

My old HP Pavilion setup.

*i.imgur.com/KlG75.jpg

SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB + SEASONIC X-SERIES 660W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY. (I made a unboxing video which will soon upload to youtube.)

*i.imgur.com/jW31W.jpg

In the photo, creative labs sound card (I had to takeout the sound card because the graphic card occupied two slots. Currently using internal/default sound now which ironically sounds the same as my sound card.), Nvidia Geforce 210 (Great at almost everything exceptionally gaming.), 350 watts power supply (I have to give it credit for surviving for 4 years and it's durability.) are the replaced components plus a malfunctioning DVD drive which had to be removed.

*i.imgur.com/e6yfZ.jpg

My DVD drive solution.

*i.imgur.com/dGDx6.jpg

Last and not less, the inside of my newly desktop. Thank you guys very much for the feedback and comments. This concludes this thread :) ... well not literally.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
hehe, your cabinet is too small and looks congested. :p

You might consider buying a cabinet sometime later. NZXT Gamma costs $50 and provides great bang for the buck. Corsair Carbide 400R for $100 is what I recommend though.

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
hehe, your cabinet is too small and looks congested. :p

You might consider buying a cabinet sometime later. NZXT Gamma costs $50 and provides great bang for the buck. Corsair Carbide 400R for $100 is what I recommend though.

Right, my friend told me the same thing. He said my desktop case/tower needs to be larger for further modification and speak of modification, the small space inside and permanently equipped objects disallow further modification via cabinet. I'm afraid removing components out of this desktop such as hard drive and motherboard will be too much of a hassle. So I think it's best to save up for a new pc and mount or keep what I can from this old machine to new machine. By the way I find out my motherboard is a Pegatron Corporation Benicia.

GTX OC

Right off the assembly line
Right, my friend told me the same thing. He said my desktop case/tower needs to be larger for further modification and speak of modification, the small space inside and permanently equipped objects disallow further modification via cabinet. I'm afraid removing components out of this desktop such as hard drive and motherboard will be too much of a hassle. So I think it's best to save up for a new pc and mount or keep what I can from this old machine to new machine. By the way I find out my motherboard is a Pegatron Corporation Benicia.

Mate that giant PSU over there will bring your cabby down if its placed at the top , my suggestion is to get a new case soon preferably with a bottom mount option for PSU .

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

get a new cabby like NZXT Source 210 Elite / Corsair Carbide 500R or Antec 1100/1200 - it will come handy when you get a new rig and you can keep the OLD PSU+Cabby+Gfx Crad to use with the old rig but if you want to use the new PSu+Gfx card with the old rig then gt a new cabby for this ;-)

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
get a new cabby like NZXT Source 210 Elite / Corsair Carbide 500R or Antec 1100/1200 - it will come handy when you get a new rig and you can keep the OLD PSU+Cabby+Gfx Crad to use with the old rig but if you want to use the new PSu+Gfx card with the old rig then gt a new cabby for this ;-)

I see. I do have enough cash to buy that cabby you suggested. I'll see what I can do.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ You can check the new Corsair carbide 400R. Its a mid tower and is a steal for $99 imo. Check here.

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
Mate that giant PSU over there will bring your cabby down if its placed at the top , my suggestion is to get a new case soon preferably with a bottom mount option for PSU .
Oh that bugs me because the old PSU was placed there, I exactly replaced PSU same spot for the new PSU.

Hey instead of buying a new case/cabinet, why not save for a new PC? Unless my current configuration won't last very long hence this is a temporarily customization.

Oh that bugs me because the old PSU was placed there, I exactly replaced PSU same spot for the new PSU.

Hey instead of buying a new case/cabinet, why not save for a new PC? Unless my current configuration won't last very long hence this is a temporarily customization.

By the way I'm very worried about the air flow. Should I just leave my cabinet open? I do not want anything overheating especially my new graphic card. I'm seeing average GPU temperature 39.2C AVG.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ 39.2c is not anything even close to over heating - what's the load temp you are getting while playing resource heavy games - use HWinfo to measure temps ;-)

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
^^ 39.2c is not anything even close to over heating - what's the load temp you are getting while playing resource heavy games - use HWinfo to measure temps ;-)
I notice the fan noise increase when I commence pc games such as GTA4 and Skyrim. I must say the 6870 Radeon 1GB is pleasing, capable of running skyrim at max settings while playble FPS. So all in all everything's ok!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
GPU fan speed will increase when GPU is in heavy use ( read gaming ) to keep it cool and with increased fan speed the noise will increase - this is a normal thing.

BTW, you have a nice PSU and gpu now - if you are interested try OCing the GPU ;-)

OP
S

Solo

Broken In
GPU fan speed will increase when GPU is in heavy use ( read gaming ) to keep it cool and with increased fan speed the noise will increase - this is a normal thing.

BTW, you have a nice PSU and gpu now - if you are interested try OCing the GPU ;-)

Yes, while playing a very demanding games, so far I see 56.5 °C MAX. 90C and up is when I should be concern :p

oh ho ho I never done overclocking hahaha, but my RIG is kinda ideal for that. I heard stories about OCing. Stories about shortening your RIG's longevity. I'm going to stay in the safe side, especially since I do not comprehend much of OCing. :wink:

Top Bottom