Need LAN card suggestion

Soumik

Padawan
Hi All,

I have a strange problem that my LAN card is not showing up. I have an Asus 760G motherboard and running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium SP1 .
I have uninstalled and installed the drivers all over again but its just not showing up anywhere. It always shows as not connected and the page where we can edit the adapter settings, isnt showing any icon to select. Before i upgraded to SP1, the adapter was showing up as expected.
Now i am not sure how this can be fixed, but since LAN cards arent much costly, i would like to buy so that its up and running, as i am here only on vacation, and have only few days left.

Can anyone suggest me any good LAN card to buy? I dont have much idea abt these things, but is there any LAN card available, which can also provide WIFI? Or any alternative to buying a LAN card?

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
so you are saying that after updating to SP1 lan is not showing?

if yes then this is not a hardware issue. update drivers

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
I got the latest drivers from the website... It didnt help. :(
I read somewhere... few months back when i heard that my home PC was behaving like this, that the Ethernet chip used in this motherboard is not supported by windows anymore. Latest realtech drivers get installed without a hitch. It doesnt say hardware not found, but after installation, it still doesnt show up anywhere. :(

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
I told already.. i got the latest drivers and tried it. Even driver detective is not showing any errors. Its still not working. :(
Any other solution i can try?
If i need to buy a new one, please suggest a good one. Is it possible to get a LAN card with wifi on it too?

Any suggestion guys?

casual_gamer

In the zone
any cheap lan card will do the job. i have a unheard brand compex from 7 years, was using with p3, still works fine. if you are concerned about brand, go for dlink. not much idea about lan+wifi card.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it show up in Device Manager -> Networking ? Check. Also check in a Linux live CD.
Because not anywhere means not anywhere.

Second, don't get any cheap. Intex, Quantum and the likes use a very cheap and stupid chip Silan Hongzhou which gives a lot of driver issues. I had purchased one once, scratched the paint on top of the chip. It had Realtek written. After scratching, Silan Hongzhou.

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
OOh... :O thats bad. Which one should i get then.. which is reliable?
I dont have a live Cd linux at hand right now.. so cant chk with that... It was there earlier... so it would probably show up.
For device manager, there is no networking or network adapter setting available in it for the PC. :(

Any suggestions? I would be buying at this monday... (i'm trying my best to make time and go :D)

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
Ok.. thanks... :)
Anything available with wifi option?

or anything else... additional from just the network adapter? :)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
You can't get both wifi & ethernet from a single card. You will need saperate cards for each of them.

Top Bottom