Need Help with subtitle file

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I got a movie with a subtile files. It's in the rar file, and after I extract, it's gets into another rar file. See the image:

*img149.imageshack.us/img149/8098/untitled0ls.gif

Upon raring the file, I get a .srt, but the file size is very high. It's 5mb!

I have many such files, but dunno how to use them.., the .srt opens but shows cr@p. Anyone has any idea as to how to go about it?

eddie

El mooooo
srt file is the actual sub-title file. you need to rename this file to the exact name of the video file, you want to play it with. For example: if the subtitle file is named as abc.srt and video file is xyz.avi then you need to rename the subtitle file to xyz.srt. Now play the video file in any player like vlc/bsplayer/media player classic etc. and they'll pick the subtitles automatically.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Is the movie in DivX format ?? if yes you can download the subtitles form here *www.divxsubtitles.net/

Here are a few tools for subtitle conversion. link

Try converting the format to other formats.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Ohh.. eddie and charangk,
I know about subtitles *very* well. The thing now is .srt files are huge in size (atleast 5mb after unraring).

I am just looking for someone who has the rar files like what I have posted and see if they can help me.

eddie

El mooooo
I don't understand. :-S
So what if the srt files are big in size? I have a srt file here which is 44MB in size. It has subtitles in 8 different languages and it is expected of it to be so big. Please explain your question more clearly. Why are you concerned about srt's file size?

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

The file size that I hav come accross are not more than 200-250kb in size and this one looks too big. It's 1mb before unraring and after doing the honors, it's 6.2mb.

Anyways here is an image when I try to open the .srt:
*img506.imageshack.us/img506/1206/untitled4is.th.gif

I tried to play with VLC playe also, dint work.

I am sure that this is not the usual kind of file..and don't say that the .srt is corupted, I have many such movies with such a file, but dunno how to use them.

eddie

El mooooo
can you give us the exact hierarchy of the way you are extracting these files? i mean which files extract to which ones? if it is not against forum rules (which i think they are not) then can you link us to the place where you downloaded these particular subtitles from? this way it will be easier for us to see what you are dealing with. i have a feeling that what you will have here is a .sub file instead of a .srt and it should come out of dmd-ot-subs.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I have a couple of diamond releases too and they had 4 or 5 mb files as well. Bu they worked fine.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

eddie,
I dint download the subbies, I got it with the movie, hope you understand :p

siriusb,
lol atlast someone understood how I got the files :p
I have many of the diamond movies but none of the subtitles that come along with it works. How do you see the movies?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I just extracted everything into the avi's dir and played it with Windows media player classic or bsplayer, can't remember.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Hmm.. I tried even BSPlayer, it's not working. Any other ideas to make it work?

What do you do with the .idx and .sfx files?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I think mine were .sub and .idx files and not .srt and .idx. Why don't you try a conversion tool to convert srt to .sub or .txt? There are repair tools for srt files available too.

E

Evil Dead Regeneration

u need to get a software called crystal player..If you want to integrate the subtitle into a divx you’ll have to uncompress put the subtitles in and compress it again. However if you just want to watch the movie in the computer it will be ok if you just use any movie player that supports subtitles in independent files.

I personally use BSplayer because it allows you to browse and look for the file, it supports many subtitle formats and it allows you even to correct desynchronizations.

Try this also: *www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Editors/Yamb.shtml

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

siriusb said:
I think mine were .sub and .idx files and not .srt and .idx. Why don't you try a conversion tool to convert srt to .sub or .txt? There are repair tools for srt files available too.
Yeah, I just checked the file extension.It's .sub not .srt, my bad..

I tried to d/l some software from the place suggested by charangk in the 3rd post but nothing worked.

Can you suggest some software?

And you have any idea how to correct the sync issues (due to difference in the framerate or otherwise) with any software? VLC player has inbuilt thing to correct it, but it sucks, I have tried it many times and it doesn't works.

I have subtitle work which I d/led some days back back but never tried till now. Does it do the job?

@Evil Dead Regeneration,
I need to watch the movie in PC only. Yamb thing is not the one I was looking for.

eddie

El mooooo
Do you have vobsub installed on your system? It comes with k-lite codec pack. It will pick the sub files automatically and show them with your video.

eddie

El mooooo
...and you have made sure that both sub and idx file names are same as that of the movie and these files are located in the same folder as that of the movie?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
For sub resyncing, you can use SubResync that comes with vobsub. For you main problem, I don't know. You can try to convert the idx and sub file into a srt file and see if it helps. But it's not a pleasurable activity for sure. the software can;t recognize certain characters in the sub file and will ask you to interpret some characters. Better search for a srt file on the web before your try this.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Hmm.. I got fed up with converting and all the attempt were futile and waste of BW and time.

Anyways no issues as the movie is an English movie only, I was little curious as I have many such movies with such .sub subbies which for some god damn reason doesn't work as it ought to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom