Need help with buying a new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

My 2 years old gaming PC got busted a couple of days back. Motherboard, Processor and RAM are dead. So, I need a new gaming PC. This time I'll go for AMD and ATI.
My PC has been troubling me a lot for some time now. Heating up like a frying pan, making too much noise and all. I need my PC to be silent and operate at cool temperatures.

This is the config that I made for myself:

Processor-AMD Phenom X2 955 BE. Is there any better processor by AMD? And does this processor run cooler than it's Intel counterparts?

GPU-ATI 4890 Graphics card. This will max out all the games out there. Am I right? How is this card compared to GTX 280? Same question, will this GPU run cooler than my current 8800GTS SLI setup?

Motherboard-I have not decided the motherboard yet. I'll go with a 790FX based motherboard which I suppose is the best AMD has. Please suggest me a good motherboard preferably ASUS which has built-in WiFi. I also need DDR3 RAM support and crossfire support.

RAM- I'll go for DDR3 RAM. Probably 6GB in triple channel. Please suggest me a good brand.

Hard Disk- I'll buy a 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive.

SMPS/PSU- Coolermaster 1000W or higher. Is it fine?

Cabinet and other stuff - A good looking Coolermaster Cabinet and a DVD drive.

LCD-I already have a Samsung T220 22" monitor with awesome specifications that I bought in October last year. I'll be using that only.

Keyboard and mouse- I have Logitech G5 and G15 right now. My G5 mouse is showing signs of aging. So, which other Logitech gaming mouse should I go for? G9? As for the keyboard, tell me any keyboard better than G15.

Speakers- I have Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers which are more than enough for me.

UPS- I've already got a APC 800VA UPS. That should do the job I suppose.

So, the configuration is pretty much done.

Please help me out and also tell me the prices of individual hardware. I need to buy this PC tomorrow morning. So, reply fast please.

Thank You.

mac555

Broken In
Case->buy coolermaster 690 ->in betweenRs 4200-4500
Drive-->sony or samsung -in between Rs 1000-1500

For how much did u purchase Samsung T220 22" monitor...its got solid specs.....

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
HEy Sunny, will reply u back here for ur config in sum time.. (my net connection is down dude) :(

edit: well, Cabinet: Cooler master CM690 (comes with 3 fans, one BLUE LED fan in front and one normal fan at the rear and another fan at the side panel ) and has option for 2 more fans (at the top).. it wil lcost u around Rs.4400/-

For the PSU (i hv seen that ppl are suggesting Corsair PSU) well, its a Active PFC PSU so it will need a Pure sine wave UPS (if at all u planning to use a UPS) :)
------------

Cheers n e-peace....

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@sunny, budget please!!!

here is a rought config:

1) AMD Phenom II X4 955
2) Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (13k) or Asus M4A79T Deluxe(13k). MSI 790FX-GA65 is not available yet here and it costs around 9.2k
30 2x2GB DDR3 corsair or G-Skill

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
4) HD4890 for 14k
5) xbox360 controller for windows: 1.2k
6) Logitech/ms desktop with laser mouse: am not good in this
7) Cooler master Cm690 for 4k
8) Corsair VX650 for 5.5k or Glacial power (don't remember model) for 4.8k
9) APS 800VA UPS
10) wifi pci card: 1.5k-2k
11) western digital caviar black 1Tb HDD (amazing speeds and 69Mb/s transfer rate)

note:

1) amd ddr3 memory controller is dual channel and you need to use pairs of two
2) get a controller instead of high end k/b+mouse.
3) since most of the amd boards come with crossfire, you better go with ati card as you can add another later.

BIG NOTE:

if you want a extreme rig, pick Intel core i7 if you also do video ripping etc and lot of activities that utilize 4 cores.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz B.E. @ 13.4k
MSI 790FX-GD70 790FX/SB750 AM3 @ 11.7k
Sapphire HD4890 1GB GDDR5 @ 13.1k
4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL5(try lowest CAS) @ 5k (corsair/zion or g.skill)
Corsair VX550W @ 5.8k

These parts are recommended. Rest go as your choice or as desibond says.

Budget- Don't really have a budget. Just want a PC that will perform well. I want all the money I spent to be utilized.

No i7 for me please. I'm more into gaming and a little video converting.

I already have both Wired and Wireless Xbox 360 controllers for Windows.

Anyways, I've ordered the following config:
CPU- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition- 14.2K
Motherboard- MSI 790FX-GD70- 13.5K
RAM- Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1300Mhz low latency one- 9.5k
GPU- ATI Radeon D4890 1GB(Don't remember which brand)- 15K
Hard Disk- Western Digital 1TB- 5.5K + my 2 old 500 gigs hard drives in raid0,
PSU- Corsair 650- 7K
Cabinet- Coolermaster HAF 922- 9k
DVD Drive- LG 22x -1.1K
Keyboard and mouse- I already have Logitech G5 and G15. I'll use them for now and later buy Razer ones.

All that sums up around 70K.

Will this rig max out all games with a 22" LCD? Resolution is 1680x1050.

Cool! Although my older rig was able to max out most of the games, it was having some serious heating issues. I heard AMD hardware runs pretty cool and quiet. :D

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Hey Sunny

Get Asus M4A79T Deluxe get this Board , this board runs the AMD PII 955 smooth AFAIK this has no bios issues all the boards are having Bios issues for PII940 & PII 955

Get sapphire 1ghz HD 4890 1GB ATOMIC card , this one heats up lot Load temp is 90c , all the HD 4890 are load is 82c & above

As for PSU get Corsair TX650 is Gr8 = But if u have sine wave UPS then it would be better (or) PSU will make noise on the battery backup

Cabinet HAF922 is awesome also Check the cooler master STORM SNIPER !! it pretty good

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@sunny, that also depends on how stable the power supply is, how good the ventilation/cooling is and where you are keeping the rig.

current gen, be it amd or intel runs really cool, especially those made on 45nm fabrication. And they also have lot of room for overclocking.

1) Put atleast three fans in CM 690 (front side and rear)
2) Enable Cool 'n' Quiet feature which downclocks processor when the processor is idle
3) Get mobo that has good power saving features and all solid capacitors, ferrite chokes, long life.
4) Get a good thermal paste for processor
5) Get RAM that comes with heat spreader.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
LOL 22"??

Get BenQ's G2412 23.6" or Acer's 23.6" both priced @ 12k

Both are gr8 and FULL HD, and yes HD4890 will max out at FULL HD with ease(except CRYSH!T).

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
What about crysis 2 - crytek 3 they also do optimization only for the Nvidia cards ???

Motherboard- MSI 790FX-GD70

Y man u ordered this , i saw in many forums that GD70 has same bios issues on temperature as GIGABYTE & Asrock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom