need help to build up a gaming rig @ 70k

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitash

Intel OCer
Now I am quite convinced 4 core i7 but as I heard that intel is launching westmere in nxt yr so why not get that and stay atleast future ready...?

Get core i7 now, westmere supports core i7 mobos...just buy one later if you want too (although i doubt it will be a bottleneck)

I read a benchmark review of phenom 2 940 and intel core i7... They reviewed both proccys with same config and it says that these 2 proccys r quite similar in many tests and in some tests phenom 2 beated core i7 and they were shoked 2 c that and told in conclusion that phenom 2 is better in this price than in core i7s price as in performance and pricing...!

LOL, no in ANY multithreaded benchmark, nothing comes close to i7.....As for the tests where the phenom 2 beat the i7, it was purely because these are out-dated tests which show only single core performance, and due to higher clock speed of p2 940, it appears to beat the i7.....As for pricing, the procys are only 3k apart in price, but the cost for a core i7 setup is alot more than p2 940, but i believe that the 8 cores on the i7 + more clock to clock perf + future ready + easy OCability makes the i7 worth it...Its in a whole different league and amd has NO answer to it.

See this for a comparison: *www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-ii,2119-5.html

OP
Arnab boss

Arnab boss

In the zone
Ohk its great but does core i7 has one model i920....?

As I have seen in net there is another model something core i7 essential and one black edition....' not sure abt names but I have seen in net...!

So what abt these....?

Give a good i7 config with after market coolers and good mobo gpu and psu...' I can extend my budget up to 1.2lac....'

OP
Arnab boss

Arnab boss

In the zone
Guys It is core i7 extreme 940 and 965 edition...'

Could anyone can tell the price 4 these proccys and a good mobo....'do I need a aftermarket cooler...'

a good psu as I will b using gpu as sli and a good gaming case with lots of cooling as to handle this heat....'

How abt gtx 275 in sli....?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
i7 940 and 960 cost a bomb and with some overclocking i7 920 runs as fast as 965.

PSU: Get the best Corsair that you can buy. Get atleast a VX650W if you are going for a high end GPU.

Core i7 itself is so fast that you hardly need to overclock it. There is no need for after market cooler yet.

afonofa

Journeyman
Cabinet - CoolerMaster CM690 Rs.4200
PSU - Corsair 750TX 750W Rs.8200
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R/UD4/UD5 Rs.14350/Rs.?/Rs.17650
Proccessor - Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz Rs.15300
HDD - Western Digital 2 x 500 GB Rs. 5750
RAM - GSkill 3 x 1GB DDR3 Rs.6375
Monitor - BenQ T2200HD 22" full HD Rs.9975

GPU - ? (Sapphire HD4870 1GB Rs.14600)
Keyboard, Mouse - ? (Logitech Rs.?)
DVD writer - ? (Samsung Rs.1200)

For the increased budget make the following changes:-

• Cabinet - CoolerMaster HAF 932 Rs.9400
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Rs.17650 (get the UD4 if available)
  • RAM - 3 x 2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 if available from KMD, else go with GSkill 3 x 1GB
  • Monitor - 24" Full HD Dell S2409W ~Rs.18000 (lynx-india.com)
  • GPU - ? (Zotac GTX 260 216 896MB ~Rs.11000 lynx-india.com)
  • Keyboard, mouse, speakers, UPS - ?

Depending on whether or not you go for costly speakers and maybe a sound card, you can instead get a costlier(& better) GPU or maybe a dual GPU setup. But then also get a more powerful PSU, maybe the Corsair 1000W CMPSU1000HX. You do the mix n match but don't compromise on the UPS. Checkout the Core i7 thread in the QnA section of the forum for the UPS.

OP
Arnab boss

Arnab boss

In the zone
Thanks dude but I was thinking of gtx 275 in sli and Corsair hx1000 but how is Tagan bz 1100 w can it handle the rig in sli...'

cm haf932 is good but Wht abt antec 900 or cm 690...'

Guys I was thinking abt phenom 955 how abt this...' some config on this....'

afonofa

Journeyman
Yea the Tagan 1100W can handle a gtx 275 sli setup. I think it's also cheaper than the Corsair.

The HAF 932 is a full tower cabinet with enough room for even the largest gpu's in a dual gpu setup, you will find the Antec 900 cramped for room in some cases. It's air cooling is just as good as the Antec 900 if not better, 3 x 230mm fans, front, side and top and IIRC 1 x 140mm at the back (HAF = High Air Flow). It also has cable management which I don't think the Antec 900 has. The HAF 932 also gives you the option to have the psu at the top or the bottom, the default is at the bottom. Go with the HAF 932, it will easily take you through your next upgrade as well. I don't remember all the differences but the HAF 932 pwns both the Antec 900 and the CM690.

OP
Arnab boss

Arnab boss

In the zone
Thanks 4 th update on haf932...'lets c

I want a config with phenom 955 proccy and a good am3+ mobo with good ocing features and 2*3 gb ddr3 rams Corsair or ocz...,a good psu as I sought of Corsair tx 750 or Tagan bz800...'
In moniter I want a 24 inch lcd with full hd.., I heard that samsung has launched it model no being 2433sw any idea what's the price...?

Anyway I will b going 2 delhi this weekend any suggestions which vendor 2look in nehru place 4 some of these stuff in cheaper rates....'

afonofa

Journeyman
No idea about a phenom config or about the vendors at Delhi. comp@ddict probably knows where you can get the cheapest rates in nehru place. If you are going for a gtx 275 sli then I think its better to get the Tagan 1100W. For a single gpu the Corsair 750W or Tagan 800W, both are good enough.

OP
Arnab boss

Arnab boss

In the zone
Hey guys is phenom 955 b.e is good 4 ocing...'
suggest a config with a crossfire setup and I would like 2 have a raid option in hdd..'

Waiting 4 ur valuable suggestions....'

monkey

Padawan
955BE is very gud in OCing..check here AnandTech: AMD's Phenom II X4 955 BE

As for RAID I suggest you to opt for WD's RE3 Enterprise drives. Though they are bit expensive but they have been optimised for RAID performance and hence will be least risky for RAID 0 setup. Else take WD's Black edition drives (1TB Black edition drive retails for about 6.6k - 500GB/750GB are very hard to find).

monkey

Padawan
955BE is very gud in OCing..check here - AnandTech: AMD's Phenom II X4 955 BE

As for RAID I suggest you to opt for WD's RE3 Enterprise drives. Though they are bit expensive but they have been optimised for RAID performance and hence will be least risky for RAID 0 setup. Else take WD's Black edition drives (1TB Black edition drive retails for about 6.6k - 500GB/750GB are very hard to find).

OP
Arnab boss

Arnab boss

In the zone
But is raid 0 is safe or raid 1 as I will need to store lots of data and in the mean time good speed as well...'

So if I choose raid 0 it will b faster transfer rate but if one hdd crash then boom gone my valuable datas...'

So kindly suggest something which will have a faster transfer rate and also safety in loosing data...'

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
RAID 0 : striping. high speed data write/read. Data backup not available
RAID 1: Mirroring. No increase in speed over non-RAID setup but data is secure. And you have to forget about storing data on one HDD. If you have two HDD's, each being 500GB, total usable space for you would be 500GB.

Unless you do operations that include heavy HDD write/read (database operations for example), you don't need RAID.

OP
Arnab boss

Arnab boss

In the zone
Oh I c ....,'
But I thought 2 setup 2 500 gb in raid config and a 1 tb as data storage...'

Is it possible and if yes then which raid config would b best option in this....'

OP
Arnab boss

Arnab boss

In the zone
Is it safe to config in raid 0 as it will b used 4 storage purpose...'

Some suggestion on a phenom 2 940 mobo..' within 9k

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Is it safe to config in raid 0 as it will b used 4 storage purpose...'

Some suggestion on a phenom 2 940 mobo..' within 9k

Arnab, wait for some time. Right now the cheapest DDR3 board is at 10.5k. If you want DDR2 board, I think you can go for any of these

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H: 9.3k
MSI K9A2 Platinum v2: 8.5k

My suggestion is to add another 2k and get DDR3 based board with socket AM3. The starting price of these boards is 10.5k

Couple it with 2x2GB DDR3 RAM and you have a competitor for core i7 920(though not core i7 beater) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom