Need help in selecting a server for around 20 desktop clients

vijaya kumar s

Right off the assembly line
We use internet sharing, printer sharing, client-server custom application with ms-sql database, mail, etc.
Intend to use MS server 2008.
Please suggest the config for the server and probable estimated cost.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AMD Phenom II x6 1090t @ 11.5k
MSI 890GXM G65 @ 7k
G.Skill 8GB(4GB * 2) DDR3 1600MHz Ripjaws CL8 @ 7.5k
Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 60GB SSD @ 8.7k
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 * 2 @ 5.6k
LG 22x SATA DVD @ 0.9k
Corsair VX450W @ 3.7k
NZXT GAMMA @ 2k

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
Hey jas, i think he is asking for servers with Intel Xeon Processors... :)

Also is AMD X6 powerful enough to run 20 terminals simultaneously???

acewin

Point Blanc
yeah why not, but in the end what kind of app you wanna run matters. Even Intel Xeon proccy will bleep if 20 users are running heavy processes on same CPU

*www.ncomputing.com/product-useries
U-Series (USB) | NComputing

maybe above two links would help

what kind of desktop clients are you using
you would need whole lot of RAM
AMD Phenom II will do it
printer sharing my friend you do not need a cpu for printer sharing. Buy a HP 8500 Officejet Pro and it will do you out good as it is a network printer. if not this and your idea is of laser printer u can go for that as well. keeping the printer separate on the network will help out by not cluttering everything onto same system

I do not know much about phenom mobos but u will need some good mobo.
beside these do buy a good router.

I see config jas has put up is really good. put a SSD card for running OS and another big SATA HDD for storage. what jas has give is a very basic config for you in this you can chip in money for cabinets extra RAM and better cooling. you can decide on intel core i7 as well.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Naino i dont think 20 pcs will use a single processor. The server is just the central system which will maintain the databases and host the sharing and all. So x6 is sufficient on a budget.

Acewin the reason i mentioned phenom is that the real life difference between i7 950 and 1090t is very small. How many apps apps are there which can utilise the full potential of nehalem architecture except in heavy benches? So instead spend on more ram if on budget.

I have mentioned 2 sticks of 4gb ram each so that all 4 slots arent used up. He can add more..

BTW mention ur budget please op.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
We use internet sharing, printer sharing, client-server custom application with ms-sql database, mail, etc.

Check Dell PowerEdge T310. You can customize the configuration heavily.

PowerEdge 11G T310 Tower Server Product Details | Dell India

Also check Dell PowerEdge T110 print and file server:
PowerEdge 11G T110 Tower Server Details | Dell India

HP side, check ML series: HP ProLiant ML Servers at a glance - HP Small & Medium Business products

If you are going to run database tasks, you better stick to branded servers as they are optimized to do heavy tasks and stay away from assembled desktops.

if it is for internet sharing and printer sharing etc, a midrange desktop will do the task easily.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

If you are planning for RDBMs' and client-server architecture then best to get a branded server. If the setup is not that 'large scale' (risk mitigation) then you could go with assembled, but scalability and future proof would be less.

acewin

Point Blanc
IMO price matters, so first check what do they cost ( Dell and HP servers), these come out better because all branded system configurations are checked for compatibility etc. and the software provided

Top Bottom