Need Help, going back to Bangalore

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yes, GPRS is not a viable option in Bangalore. GX, you can try getting an EVDO connection. It works out cheaper, if you need an unlimited connection.

shashank_re

In the zone
Hey GX,for internet you can try Tata's Plug 2 Surf USB modem.
I have one which i dont need anymore.If you want i can sell it to you.

It also has unlimited plan for Rs.1099 per month:)

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Woha, having a hard time finding a PG here close to my office. I contacted my office people today & he told me to come there tomorrow, they might be able to help me.

Today I was roaming in Rajaji Nagar since 11 am to 6 pm looking for PGs anywhere I can find but now I have changed my preference. Looks like I can't limit myself to just a PG so I am also looking for rented apartment. Food I will manage on my own cos I can survive on hotel food if tiffin isn't available. Charan called me up & thanks for his help for giving me contact number of his friend who is leaving his home.

I had a problem with paying high advance money for rented apartment, but I don't have a problem on it now.

@ Charan

Yaar, Vodafone Store people say something while the customar care people say something. Customar care people said that I need to pay Rs 248 monthly for Vodafone connect & I will be charged 5p for 10kb on top of that. This is very costly compared to what I was using in Delhi with Idea & not a good option. I could opt for Airtel but then again, Airtel doesn't have the STD rates that I get with Vodafone here.

Anyone know of any Property dealer or Broker in that area where I can contact?

Best way is to move to postpaid and subscribe to EDGE.

Service: Vodafone Mobile Connect

Monthly Rental: Rs.499/-
Data limit: 500MB
Additional : 5p/10KB

Monthly Rental : 0
Data charges: 5p/10KB

Monthly Rental : 699/-
Data limit: 1Gb
Additional : 5p/10KB

You can browser net from you PC too.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
See, I have 7 requirements in life. Food, cloths, Home. Computer, Internet, Mobile Phone & flirting. If all these are fullfilled then I can live anywhere.

Today I got a PG. It is in Rajaji Nagar 5th block. Diamond Villa at 18c Main. I m paying Rs 6k for a single sharing room which isn't that big for 2 people so I took it as single sharing. I wll get breakfast & dinner which is north Indian. There is Laundry Service near by so Laundry won't be a problem either. There are 2 hotels where I can have food if PG's food isn't that good. This PG is 2km away from my office. I will live here for 6 months or so & then move to some rented appartment once I have the idea of this area. They are giving me a study table, an iron cupboard & bed. Although, I will bring my own Cupboard too as well as buy a designer chair as I won't use that plastic chairs anymore. Saw some of these in staples Koramangla today, a designer's heaven (& also a geeks) :D

Cloths I already have :D

Computer I will get delievered soon once I move it on 18 October.

Now the 2 requirments, Internet & Phone. I m using Vodaphone prepaid & I want to use GPRS to browse normal websites like orkut etc & not just WAP. I can pay per KB easily, that won't be a problem but don't seem to find something without monthly rentel. Can we browser normal websites using Opera Mini using Vodafone Live? Is Hutch World available here, cos in Prepaid VOdafone mobile connect will cost me Rs 250 every month + additional charges ar 5p for 10 kb. This will be too costly to browse anything in Mobile Phone or I can go for Unltd EDGE in postpaid for RS 899 which I can connect to my computer too but I will loose the good call rates I get with Vodafone here.

I inquired Airtel, Rs 400 I will get unlimited EDGE in phone but then there call rates don't suit me. They are too high.

Can U guys tell me all the GPRS plans availalbe in Vodafone Prepaid which I can use to browse all sites....the customar care center guys say something else while the Vodafone store guys say something else.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Why don't you get BSNL EVDO data card?
Rs.550/- per month and its unlimited

Everything About BSNL EvDO Data Card(Shameless self Publicity(SSh) :D

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Charan already told me about your site :D, I will look into that after 18 October once I move in the PG & get my computer delivered in Bangalore. Right now I am concentrating only on GPRS for browsing in Mobile phone.

I calculated. In Delhi with Idea, I had to pay Rs 1 everyday & then 1p for 1kb. My monthly usage in only phone used to be about 30 MB. So this way I used to pay Rs 330 every month for 30 MB. In case of Vodafone mobile connect I will pay Rs 250 rental & in Rs 80, I can get 16 MB but if I pay Rs 499, I can get 500 MB Data limit which is more then enough. However this is something I won't need till I buy a symbian phone (K750i only has Opera Mini) as with N82/N79 I will need 500 MB for nevigating using GPS & Nokia Maps, so then it makes sense.

I can also opt for unlimited EDGE at Rs 899 with Vodafone prepaid which I can use in Computer as well as phone but again, this is useless till I buy a new phone.

I m going to inquire about Vodafone Live & Hutch World service on Friday in Vodafone store. If there is a plan in Prepaid in which I don't have to pay any rental but just the usage charges like 10p for 10kb & I can open any website using Opera Mini or Opera Mobile then I will definately opt for it cos Vodafone Call rates suit me a lot

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
What is the speed we get in EVDO?

Guys, something happened :D. I was looking for good plans & just came to a cyber cafe. While googling I found info about Hutch_GPRS & using those settings I am able to browse any site in Opera Mini for free.

That solves my GPRS problem for the time being. I will let you know about what connections are available in the PG so that I can get help in deciding which one to opt for.

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hey, where can I find a Sony Ericsson Service enter in Bangalore? I need to get my SE K750i repaired

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Hey, where can I find a Sony Ericsson Service enter in Bangalore? I need to get my SE K750i repaired
No Offence
But why you always search for SE service center?
In delhi thread, you were doing the same & now here:p
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=889303&highlight=Sony+Ericsson#post889303

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
No Offence
But why you always search for SE service center?
In delhi thread, you were doing the same & now here:p
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=889303&highlight=Sony+Ericsson#post889303

^^ lol:D.

You can find one in Koramangala beside Bethany School in front of Namdhari Fresh.

Off topic (can't hold myself back) :- Dude from wherever you are landing, all the best for Bangalore. The city is suffocating. Laws are draconian. Autowallas are cheats! Govts. and Babus have successfully $crewed this once cool & happening town. In short, now, the city $ucks big time!!!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ lol:D.

You can find one in Koramangala beside Bethany School in front of Namdhari Fresh.

Off topic (can't hold myself back) :- Dude from wherever you are landing, all the best for Bangalore. The city is suffocating. Laws are draconian. Autowallas are cheats! Govts. and Babus have successfully $crewed this once cool & happening town. In short, now, the city $ucks big time!!!

still it's lot better than chennai/hyderabad/mumbai/kolkata.

I went to HYD recently. Was on hyd streets for an hour and got headache. very noisy and extremely polluted. thanks to bangalore's greenery. It's certainly saving million lives.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
the SE Service Center close to my home didn't had parts for my K750i so I will go to Sigma Mall's store in some days. problem is that I don't have a spare phone to use in the time being.

Today was officially my first day, will right about it once I reach home.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, it's been only 2 days here & I guess I will have to change the way I look at UI Design & the world.

Yesterday my boss gave me quite a good lecture in the night which actually made me thinking, how good M I in Photoshop & Illustrator (2 integral parts of UI designing). Since I am now working for Web 2.0 designs & Mac Platform, I have to change the way I used to look at designs while working with Windows or previously. he told me that I need to com up with something unique & radical which is true cos while working for WPF, I limited myself to only one theme of Microsoft but Mac world is different, so is Web 2.0.

I questioned myself as where do I fit. An Icon designer which i started my career as (I hope the super old members will remember it). A UI Designer who decides how the User Interaction will happen in an application or webpage or a Look & Feel designer. So far, I have been doing all.

My colleagues have have been making great icons etc for Mac using Illustrator & Photoshop but I lost touch of Illustrator due to 3Ds Max as making a 2D drawing is easier for me to create in 3ds Max then Illustrator, specially cos in 3ds Max, I don't have to work with a perspective in mind, the camera does it for me. This is the reason I left Illustrator long back cos 3Ds Max gave me a 3D view at creating icons.

My Boss yesterday told me to make the Icon of Coda, as a test of my skills. U know what, I wasn't able to do it. I just couldn't think of how to do it in Photoshop & Illustrator, but then something struck my mind. I thought about making the same icon in 3Ds Max's 2D Plane & I was able to make the leaf shape in no time (All in mind though). Then comes the texturing part in which I agree that creating a texture in photoshop is tough for me, then using the burn tool to darken it to emulate shadow effect, but I again thought of making it in 3D Max & I found it can easily be made using Procedural textures in Material Editor of 3ds Max & then a simple light source & render as 2D will do the trick.

If you are designing components for UI & UX, U need to have a drawing tool & one painting tool. People usually prefer Illustrator to make the drawing which is good, but I find 3Ds Max to create the same 2D shapes & then photoshop to paint accordingly. I hands are just more set in 3ds Max for drawing then Illustrator.

Tomorrow I m going to talk to my new boss, after a long time someone has inspired me to think out of the box again & I will tell him what I fit in. If it is UI component designs, then I need 3ds max & Photoshop. These are the only 2 tools I will ever need to design UI now. Illustrator is just not for me as it will take me long time to learn it & give me less control compared to 3ds max.

When it comes to creating textures for 2d designs, I can make them in Genetica & bring to 3ds Max. I can even render as 2D or Cell shaded.

I will have to revise 50% things again. Since my WPF portfolio is arleady good enough, i am going to shelf it for a while & going to learn Photoshop basics again, bought Photoshop CS3 Bible today & a book for NURBS curves modeling in 3Ds Max.

Oh! by the way, I have changed my prespective & gone back to where I started, thinking different from the rest. I m still a Winboy :D as the only thing good about Mac is UI & nothing else, the backend sux big time (try making an app for Mac & U will know. They don't even provide interface icons). This means soon, I might be the only guy sitting in the Mac department with a PC running Vista & designing, :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom