Need Help: Can video memory be increased?

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
I have a Nvidia GT 220 from XFX which has ddr2 memory(1gb). The memory speed looks like its only 400Mhz (It says so in afterburner). :razz:

I was wondering if i could somehow replace the memory or make it not use the memory but instead use my ram which is 800Mhz:mrgreen:

Please help me in this regard.
Thanks in Advance :-o

CA50

Cyborg Agent
^ LOL dude that is impossible, but you can overclock the GPU memory to run at higher speed.

Remember Overclocking increases heat, so check that before hand

OP
Skynaveen

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
I already overclocked it - check this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/overclocking-show-off/150490-gt-220-overclocked-625-mhz-815mhz.html

BTW Thanks for the fast response
Thought so... that it was impossible

Thanks

But Maybe there is some way which is really complicated or something ....
So I am open to any more suggestions (maybe a bios change ...)

.:razz::razz::razz::shock::razz::razz::razz:

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
:lol:
if a graphic card would use RAM then they would be dead and you would have never used it
In short no.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
@Skynaveen, a GPU is designed to use the dedicated ram in the PCB itself.

Moreover using system will increase communication time between the graphic processor and the RAM. Not to mention you will have to share your precious RAM :D

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Moreover using system will increase communication time between the graphic processor and the RAM. Not to mention you will have to share your precious RAM :D

Sadly it is not much of use. As that shared memory only works for the Graphics associated with processor (if it has any).

OP
Skynaveen

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
But if you don't have a graphics card, You can use a program to allocate some of your ram as video memory

So this also might be possible........Maybe not now but some day it will be possible I guess...............

And thanks everybody for the fast responses

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ If you don't have a gfx card but do have a mobo with built in IGP you can share upto 512/1GB system mem as vram using only the bios/EFI setting - no extra software needed to achieve this ;-)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ If you don't have a gfx card but do have a mobo with built in IGP you can share upto 512/1GB system mem as vram using only the bios/EFI setting - no extra software needed to achieve this ;-)

i think there is a way of dedicating some ram to graphics memory so total graphics memory will increase. i have really forgotten the term. will google & post.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ It's called Nvidia TurboCache or ATI HyperMemory

The GPU must have support for this feature - the gpu will then use system memory as a substitute to the dedicated physical memory of the gfx card

Say a gpu has 256MB physical memory with TurboCache/HyperMemory - the card supports upto 512MB - now because of TC/HM tech 256MB of the system memory will be allocated as the gpu memory to make the the 512MB vram buffer ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Read my reply ;-)

Nvidia TurboCache is found in older card, i doubt the 220 will support that feature

Low end gfx cards like GT220 indeed supports TC feature but whether a GT220 gfx card will have TC feature or not depends on the manufacturer;-)

For example :

GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 200 Series - GV-N220TC-1GI

This gfx card has 512MB dedicated memory but with TC it can boost the memory amount upto 1GB ;-)

OP
Skynaveen

Skynaveen

★★★-DREADLORD-★★★
So..... will it work on XFX GT220 1gb DDR2
Can I increase the memory to 1.5gb or 2gb.
I have enough ram to spare.

If so do I need any other software for it.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^ the process is automatic if the manufacturer has enabled it but i think the effect on the performance will be negative

also ur gpu is not powerful enough to utilize that much amount of memory

Top Bottom